Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kid not strong enough to turn grip shifter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Kid not strong enough to turn grip shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 11:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Its both shifters but more noticable with the front shifter. She can down shift (i.e. release cable tension) ok but up shifting is impossible for her. On the rear she can get it to turn in both directions, but again its easier when shifting from larger to smaller cog.
Look at where the shift cable attaches to the front derailleur. You will probably see a little finger in the cable path. It's counter intuitive but the cable is supposed to go OVER that little finger. Assuming it's wrong now, that tiny amount of change on the angle of the cable will make the shifter much easier to twist.