Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Favorite bystander comments

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Favorite bystander comments

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 02:23 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
A small group of us were riding a century on the Skyline Drive in the Blue Ridge Mountains. After about 85 miles of climbs, descents, rain, wind and clouds, we had pulled into an overlook to catch our breath and wipe our glasses during a brief break in the weather. An older couple in a big Buick pull in at the overlook and got out to see the view. The wife said to the husband "look dear, they're riding bikes up here." He said "well there's nothing to it, all they have to do is roll down these hills."

I thought sure, easy, but we had to ride up all those hills, too.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Likes For CroMo Mike:
Old 11-02-19, 04:37 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked 3,486 Times in 1,136 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa10Speed
Written for a church group, but suitable regardless of your beliefs ...

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
Matthew 5:3 (NRSV)

I straddle my bike, panting easily, sweating, waiting for the light on Urbandale Avenue. I’m really dripping in the wicked August sun.

Ahead lies a good hill, a remnant of a trestle that got the old trolleys over Merle Hay Road to the turnaround. My red backpack, bulging with business suit, laptop and folders, digs into my back. Light still red.

The car beside me rolls a window. Frosty air within collides with the wet heat of my world. A fog bank forms, blurring a young man’s face. He hollers the most clever cruelty he can think of:

“Get a car!”

The light changes before my brain decodes his rant. I smile. “I have two new ones in my garage,” I would have said.

He wouldn’t get it.

I chose my apparent misery. I love summer heat indexes. Biking back and forth to work satisfies both curiosity and challenge. I save gas. But those are boring cover stories.

What I did not expect were sun rays behind clouds, pulling me downtown each morning. Neighborhood streets ease me home each night. Daybreaks set rhythm, evenings add texture. Soccer balls and pony tails bounce haphazardly in front of me. Self-important dogs yip behind me. Fresh cut grass. The first tint of fall. Gliding through raindrops. Four wheels can never match the poverty of two.

On every street, the call for more is loud: seek more comfort, more tech, more speed, more status.

Bicycles create the opposite: vulnerability, openness and humility. We can choose similar characteristics for our spirits.

The poor spirit turns aside jeers, notices each detail of joy, savors each blessing of peace. Invite your spirit to inhabit poverty.
Thanks. Great sentiment, nicely written.
Brent (a lifelong atheist)
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-02-19, 05:02 PM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 54 Posts
True story.

I once rode to the top of Mt. Mitchell, which is claimed to be the highest climb east of the Mississippi river 6600+ ft.
At the top, sweaty and exhausted, I placed my bike next to the Mt. Mitchell sign to take a pic.
Up walks up a motocyclist couple. They smiled, walked over from their Harley, and motioned me, pointing to their camera.
"What a nice couple" I thought. Even though they were leather clad motorcyclist, and I, a spandex clad biker, we, after all, were kindred spirits, and as such, it was nice of them to offer to take a picture of me and my hard earned accomplishment. Surely, as two wheeled bretheren, they would appreciate the ride to the top, and that I actualled pedalled every inch of the way. Since my bike was against the sign, they would take a pic of me and my bike at the summit.
They walked up, offering me their camera.
"Do you mind taking a picture of us?" they asked.
I obliged, moved my bike from the sign, let them stand in front, and took a picture of their victory.
They thanked me and rode off.

Several years later, I climbed to the top of Mt. Mitchell again.
Again, tired and accomplished, I parked my bike against the same sign.
Again, another biker couple walked up.
Again, riding a Harley.
Again, they asked "Will you take a picture of us?"
I chuckled, I took the picture, they thanked me, and they rode off.

Last edited by dualresponse; 11-02-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 05:08 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Somebody's not going to get that, and it's worth getting.

Poupou
Thanks for that--I didn't get it, and you're right, it was worth getting.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 11-02-19, 05:19 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
She's right you know..
Nah, I'm with the muppets... not the puppets... try hare krishna!

Did have a pair of dudes ask me, looking at my legs, if I was a bike courier?

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 11-02-19 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 06:09 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
During one of our shop group rides this spring we were nearing the top of a long climb. A car stopped at a stop sign to the right and the driver said to us “ that’s a steep hill”, I replied “that’s why we’re riding it.”
Likes For KenCT:
Old 11-02-19, 07:00 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Alternatively, "reach-down switchers"
"Commands on the oblique". From an Ebay auction; seller was in Italy.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-02-19, 07:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1300 Post(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked 5,837 Times in 2,297 Posts
Scene: Climbing up the steepest section of Limantour Road in Pt. Reyes on a tandem with my girlfriend, in granny gear, both standing on the pedals, close to stalling.

A Porsche 911 convertible with a posh yuppie couple pulls up next to us. The driver asks directions. I can't talk, breathing too hard.

My girlfriend yells out "NO WE DON'T HAVE ANY GREY POUPON*!"

*link for those not old enough to remember the commercial.
Old 11-02-19, 08:29 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked 2,645 Times in 1,243 Posts
My 4:30am commute included a nice downhill with a T intersection at the bottom. If I didn't see any lights at the stop, I'd blow through and jump a couple of speed bumps in front of a school on the other side. One morning I fly by a cop parked near the stop, jump both bumps and shoot through a park farther down the road. I can hear an engine revving and tires squeal as I exit the park and a really pissed off law man cut me off and jumps out exclaiming "You were doing in excess of 35mph" ...was I? "AND, you ran a stop sign!" Well, I was going 35mph. I took my fatherly lecture from the guy half my age and went on my way...

Last edited by curbtender; 11-04-19 at 03:59 PM.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 11-02-19, 09:11 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by dualresponse
True story.
We knew it was. You didn't start with TINS.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-02-19, 09:18 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 395 Posts
This thread is jogging so many memories.

I was on a ride with a friend and there were a bunch of halfway decent climbs. I was a good climber, but a wussy on the descents. So I'd bury my friend on the climbs and he would pass me on the descents. We get to the base of the final climb and my friend tells me to wait for him at the coffee shop. So, I take off and halfway up I pass a small group of riders. I reach the coffee shop and while I'm waiting for my friend, one of the riders in the small group comes up to me and says: "You know you were riding uphill? Right?" I still smile when I think of that.

Two more stories that really don't fit in. But, they're ones I love to tell.

Many, many years ago on one really hot summer day, I'm riding with a friend through a small beach community. He gets a flat and we're fixing it on someone's lawn. A convertible pulls into the driveway and a woman in her mid to late 40's gets out, wearing a bikini and a small see-through cover-up. My friend and I start apologizing for being on her lawn. See says not to worry about it. Then she says: "It's really hot out here, would you guys like to come in for some iced tea?" Me, being very young and very naive, and my friend, being very married and very religious, both declined the offer.

After many years and maturing a little:

I'm riding on a boardwalk and I see a storm out over the ocean. So, I start slamming to beat it home. I come upon a man and a woman with bikes and he's attempting to pump up his tire. He waves me down and asks if I had a pump, because his isn't working. I stop and try to pump his tire and get nothing. He said he had a flat and put in a new tube. I pull out the tube and show him where he pinched it. I take one of my spare tubes and put it in. I start pumping. He's an older gentleman and I didn't look at the woman. I just assumed they were a couple. He's insisting on paying me for the tube and I'm refusing. I'm telling him I just want to beat the storm home. When the woman hears this she says: "Don't worry, I live nearby. If it starts raining you can ride out the storm in my house." I looked up at her and realized she wasn't his wife and was, most likely, his daughter. And, she was a doll. So, I started to pump the tire at a snail's pace and thinking to myself: please rain, please rain. Of course it didn't.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 11-02-19, 10:32 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked 2,645 Times in 1,243 Posts
Off the bike, but a friend asked if I was still riding. After a yes from me, she says that she's lucky not to fall over putting on her underwear. She now rides a cruiser, lol.
Old 11-02-19, 11:30 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
On my Calgary-Vancouver trip over the Rockies, I remember one comment made by a biwildered man from Australia while I stopped at an old Western Saloon type of museum at the top of a summit to fill my canteens with water.
As I finished topping them, the man came out from the museum and looked at me funny.

He asked me why I was carrying so much on my bike and I told him I was touring from Calgary. He looked shocked, shook his head and said, "You're, nuts mate. You Canadians keep weirding me out. Best of luck to ya."

I took it as a compliment and thanked him,laughed, and just went my away.
Likes For BikeWonder:
Old 11-03-19, 12:28 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
My Ron Cooper touring bike and my Colin Laing tandem are both pretty rare frames. I need them to be rugged and reliable, because they're my go-to long-distance tourers, so I use the venerable XTR M952 derailleur (which proved itself to me on a six-month tour) on the back of both (shifting friction, of course).

In spite of the framebuilder cachet, Binda gold-lettered straps, and Nitto rack and TA Zephyr bling, the comment I get most often is "cool, XTR!" from the mountain biker crowd. Usually followed up with a perplexed "why?" to which I respond, "because it's the best."

I guess this makes sense given the number of people who know what XTR is compared with those who know what any of the other things are. In spite of this, it leaves me scratching my head every time.

I'm scratching my head as to why it's a favorite bystander comment also, but it stays with me, more than anything else. I think it bridges a divide between types of cyclists who probably don't talk to one-another often enough, maybe.

Last edited by scarlson; 11-03-19 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-03-19, 03:37 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked 4,658 Times in 1,785 Posts
Somebody's not going to get that, and it's worth getting.

Poupou
Thanks. And for future reference: Cyclists' Nicknames

Old 11-03-19, 04:24 AM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Streets are for standing

This just occurred three nights ago, on Halloween. I was riding through my neighborhood, about three blocks from home. I was coming back from a friend’s house in the neighborhood; our boys had gone out with a group of friends to collect candy. Naturally it’s jammed with people; parents, kids, strollers, etc. Most of them temporary imports from other parts of town (better candy here I guess). It was about 8:30pm and dark. Nary a one of the pedestrians with a flashlight, just criss-crossing the street without looking, at the pace of leisurely stroll. Then my headlamp shines on two parents and their 10-12 year old son standing smack in the middle of street, in the dark, his costume down around his knees, making adjustments to the boy’s costume. As I get close I give them (admittedly) a slightly snarky “Heelllooo” to gently make a point about them standing in the path of travel. Mom replied, “Why don’t you go ride on a bike path somewhere?!” Yeah, she’s right! What the hell was I thinking...riding my bike on the road where they were standing? Shame on me!
Likes For Goosecheck:
Old 11-03-19, 07:11 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 412 Posts
My favorite is also the most common, a simple "Nice old bike" as they blow past me.
Old 11-03-19, 07:56 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
During the summer I usually go to the local bike shop for their Wednesday evening ride. The new owner of the shop is a retired Army guy that taught hand-to-hand combat at Fort Campbell. A nice guy and a very strong rider. Jimmy and I rode side by side for most of the ride, and later another friend that was with us said "You were riding alongside Jimmy, well done."

I told him "I was riding beside Jimmy because he allowed it. If he didn't want to ride alongside, there is nothing I could do to stop him or catch him." He said "Yeah, I reckon you're right. I couldn't catch him either, if he didn't want to be caught."

Reality does make an appearance from time to time.
Old 11-03-19, 07:34 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
I used to commute from Duluth to Alpharetta GA (about 20 miles). One morning I was coming up to a major intersection that has a very long light for the crossing road and saw a dump truck with a trailer, so I hitched a tow through the intersection at about 45mph so I would not get caught out. After making it through, a short distance later I saw blue lights but didn't think anything of it, being on a bicycle in morning traffic. All of the sudden I heard "Young man on the bike - pull over!" I did, and as the officer approached me I was laughing noticeably and he looked at me very oddly as I told him - "You just made my day! I'm probably 15 years older than you are." We chatted for a few minutes and he told me to get going with the warning "I really don't want to see you do something like that again, but I can't wait to tell the guys back at the Department about this!"

Last edited by tgenec86; 11-03-19 at 07:40 PM.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 11-04-19, 01:02 PM
Daytriker

Bikes: HP Velotechnik / Trident

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Favourite comment

Riding a bright yellow Recumbent Trike I was probably the first in my little town in BC. As I rode past a school, a young guy about 12 came riding up to me on his BMX all wide eyed & asked, "Is THAT the Corvette of Bikes?" He of course kept bugging me for a race to which I eventually relented & let him win. But damn I sure had to work at it. That kid was fast!
Old 11-04-19, 01:16 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
That's like a martial arts move, using the opponents momentum against him.
Sun Tzu would have used the moment of imbalance to attack. I did not.
Old 11-04-19, 02:30 PM
gparr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With my sister on a multi-day tour. We stopped at a restaurant for lunch and used a cable lock to lock our bikes to a small tree. As we were walking into the restaurant a guy walking by says, "Tree should be safe now." Took a second for it to register with us, but it elicited a bit of a chuckle.
Gary
Old 11-04-19, 03:15 PM
kastigar

Bikes: Trek 7.2FX and a Trek 720, hybrid modified for road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've heard that a lot; so have most of us.
Old 11-04-19, 03:59 PM
farnorth51

Bikes: Tour Easy, Gold Rush, EZ-1, EZ-3, Bike E, Bike E tandem, Double Vision, Easy Rider SC, Invacare Handcrank, Vision R-40,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lazy man's bike

I get a lot of positive comments while on my recumbents, "cool bike", "I like your bike", "How much does that cost", etc but my most memorable one was when a 400lb+ lady was waddling across the parking lot when I pulled up on my recumbent, her young son said, "Mommy, look, what kind of bike is that?" "A lazy man's bike," she sneered! LOL!
Likes For farnorth51:
Old 11-04-19, 05:11 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I got caught in a pretty good headwind one day, and was having a tough time of it. One guy that passed me said, "Just keep going." Didn't make it any easier, but I felt better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.