Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V Tire Kickers on CL

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V Tire Kickers on CL

Old 11-11-19, 05:59 PM
Oldbikeride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bike price

Originally Posted by canklecat
You might be able to cut back on the lookie loos by providing as much detail as possible, including photos. When I'm browsing CL and other sites I'm less likely to ask the seller for info if he's already covered all the bases with written details and photos. With enough info the only question is whether I can afford it and "need" it.

When the ad doesn't provide much info but the bike interests me, I'm more likely to arrange to see the bike in person. That takes time for everyone.

Pricing is a craft too. As CliffordK noted, an asking price can significantly affect the types of prospective buyers you get and their expectations.

For example, I'm about to get rid of some photo darkroom gear I've been lugging around and storing for years. Some folks would just pitch it onto the curb. Others would ask way too much money. In my experience, asking too little or offering something for free results in mooches who expect full service and support, with calls, emails or texts asking for operating instructions, etc. If I list it as free or too cheaply, I'll get calls from high school students or absolute novices who couldn't afford to buy but will expect me to tutor them on darkroom basics. (And there was a time I'd have been willing to do that, but not at the moment.)

But if the item is priced just right, it's a clean transaction and you don't hear from them again. So even though I don't actually care about the money, I plan to ask a nominal price for the enlargers, etc., just to minimize problems.
I just passed on some knowledge to my grandson two days ago. "It's easier to sell something cheap than to give it away. People are very suspicious when one wants to give away an item". My daughter wanted to give away a portable basketball hoop. I told her the same thing. She sold it for $20.
Likes For Oldbikeride:
Old 11-11-19, 06:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Never, ever, let a CL buyer come to your house. For that matter don't put your home address into CL. Use the address of a shopping mall parking lot or your city police statio n.

AGAIN: Never, ever, let a CL buyer come to your house.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Meh, I will meet in a neutral location to buy, but when I sell the buyers come to me.
0 interest in hauling bikes to meet people for them to ride it.

Its anecdotal, but I haven't been robbed or beaten yet, so I'll keep doing it.
I dont see a difference between selling on CL and a garage/yard sale. Perhaps there is a difference and I'm missing it.

With that said, I dont put my address in listings. I drop a pin near my house though since that is referenced by buyers when figuring out where a listing is in the metro.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-11-19, 07:40 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I live next door to a great coffee shop so I can have people come to me without having them come to my actual place
Old 11-11-19, 09:36 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Here's a 100% real reply to an ad for a Rhodes electric piano I was selling on CL to settle my dad's estate.

I lost count of the red flags somewhere in the third sentence..

"Still have the MK80??? I'm waiting on my tax returns currently. They will be here this week or next week..."
If he filed at the extension deadline (October 15th) and chose to receive a check, it would take about 3-4 weeks to get the refund. States sometimes take even longer. That wouldn't alarm me, honestly.
Old 11-11-19, 10:40 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I've no problem with CL, and sold from my home, as well as meeting people at theirs.

Disposing of the bodies is generally easy .
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-11-19, 10:47 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Disposing of the bodies is generally easy.
If you have a large enough vehicle, perhaps. It becomes incredibly obvious if you strap them to the bike rack on the back of your Ford Focus.
Old 11-12-19, 05:36 AM
ThreadedSpoke

Bikes: 2016 Pinarello Rahza H Carbon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
"OK, I gotta get going. Let me know if you'd like to come back and buy the bike. Good seeing you."
Yup, that's exactly what I've done in selling anything on CL.
Old 11-12-19, 06:40 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
You might be able to cut back on the lookie loos by providing as much detail as possible, including photos. When I'm browsing CL and other sites I'm less likely to ask the seller for info if he's already covered all the bases with written details and photos. With enough info the only question is whether I can afford it and "need" it.

When the ad doesn't provide much info but the bike interests me, I'm more likely to arrange to see the bike in person. That takes time for everyone.

Pricing is a craft too. As CliffordK noted, an asking price can significantly affect the types of prospective buyers you get and their expectations.

For example, I'm about to get rid of some photo darkroom gear I've been lugging around and storing for years. Some folks would just pitch it onto the curb. Others would ask way too much money. In my experience, asking too little or offering something for free results in mooches who expect full service and support, with calls, emails or texts asking for operating instructions, etc. If I list it as free or too cheaply, I'll get calls from high school students or absolute novices who couldn't afford to buy but will expect me to tutor them on darkroom basics. (And there was a time I'd have been willing to do that, but not at the moment.)

But if the item is priced just right, it's a clean transaction and you don't hear from them again. So even though I don't actually care about the money, I plan to ask a nominal price for the enlargers, etc., just to minimize problems.
Excellent advice with regards to pricing and full disclosure. I'm hugely successful on CL both from buying and selling. My method weeds out the so-called tire kickers from the start, and the filtering process continues as the process gains forward movement.

In 1999, I just finished my bachelors degree in Marketing Science. My employers thought it wise to move me from the position I held in R&D as a machinist to the advertising department at the company HQ. It was okay for a few months, as I adjusted to wearing ties and taking meeting after meeting, etc, but soon I grew weary of it. In fact, I hated the office life. When I asked to be let back into engineering, they had already filled my position and I was stuck. So I started looking elsewhere.

I took a job in sales at a Chevy dealership. First time in car sales. It was horrifying. Intimidating. The owners were cruel employers. I felt worse off than if I'd stayed in advertising.

-BUT-

The education I got from Chevy on how to sell something was priceless. I'll never forget it, and I use those techniques to this very day. Selling is as much of an art as buying. You have to realize the tools at your disposal and use them when required to make both parties feel successful. I only stayed at the dealership for three months, but I was top salesperson for the latter two, and I made $40k in those three months considering the sales incentive bonuses. I couldn't get used to the long hours and the insanity of the owners and I outright quit. First time in my life I ever walked out of a job.

So without rambling any more and boring you to death, I'll tell you what I am on about here: There are no tire kickers. No such thing. If someone drives into a car lot, looking at cars it is because they are interested. If someone contacts you about your CL ad, its because they are interested. They are your customer from that point on, and its up to you and only you to make the sale. The time you spend at selling your product reflects on your bottom line. You have to ask as many questions as the buyer. As @canklecat says, full disclosure is the key. It will save you a lot of time. Good photos are a must!
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 11-12-19, 06:49 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont put my address in listings. I drop a pin near my house though since that is referenced by buyers when figuring out where a listing is in the metro.
I never give my phone number or address until I get a "email me for more info" response. If I feel that they are serious, then I will ask them if they want to take it to texts. At that point phone numbers are exchanged. If the good vibes are still flowing after that, my street address is given, or asked for if I am buying. Frankly, I love the CL process. I've met many good people, and some of them are now friends of which I communicate frequently and also ride with.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 11-12-19, 07:24 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
"OK, I gotta get going. Let me know if you'd like to come back and buy the bike. Good seeing you."
100% this.

Two hours?! Get real. Take control of the situation. %&@$ or get off the pot. Twenty minutes, max.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-12-19, 07:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
Right, after 20 minutes, he hasn't seen the clues that you want to finish the transaction, if you gave any. He needs to be told. He may think you want to jaw about bikes endlessly, because some people do.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-12-19, 08:05 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

My husband was going to pick up a CL bike and we'd been having the conversation here about stolen bikes. I messaged him, "If you think it's hot, then don't buy it. I'll find another one." The guy went from being okay with waiting a couple of days for us to pick up the bike to wanting it gone by that afternoon.

A couple hours later, Mike came home with the bike. He assured me that based on the expensive house and neighborhood, he was quite certain it was not stolen. The guy just wanted room in his garage.

When I asked if he'd talked to the guy about the bike, he said no. He gave him the money and stuffed the bike in the back of his car and came home. Ideal CL transaction, I guess.
Old 11-12-19, 12:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, the description of the car biz from @NoControl. It's a horrible working environment and a valuable experience. Everyone should try it. Playwright/director David Mamet wasn't exaggerating in Glengarry Glen Ross about the commissioned sales environment. And if you've seen or read his other plays like American Buffalo and Speed-the-Plow, there's a thin gray zone between commissioned sales hustlers and thieves. That gray zone is usually occupied by pawn shops and fences.

One of the dealerships I worked for, formerly one of the area's biggest but now a shell of itself, provided the classic example of the pressure sales mentality. Our sales manager was a cliche of a cynical, ruthless exploitative bully. He'd roam around urging sales personnel to "rip off the customers' heads and $h!t down their necks!" Nowadays on the bio page of his current dealership, he humblebrags about being a good family man and Christian who's merely blessed to serve the community.

On the flip side of the weighted coin were the customers, desperate for a new reliable car, claiming their trade-ins had never suffered so much as a door ding, but the evidence was obvious of previous wrecks and body work.

Compared with commissioned sales, craigslist is a playground.
Old 11-12-19, 02:36 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

...craigslist is a playground.
I love Craigslist. Its a game to me. If we ever get together over a canktail, er, cocktail, I could regale you with stellar deals I've made.
Old 11-12-19, 04:45 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
I love Craigslist. Its a game to me. If we ever get together over a canktail, er, cocktail, I could regale you with stellar deals I've made.
Everyone has ... I couldn’t begin to start telling everyone about the absolutely incredible finds I’ve acquired on CL ... however CL is a like a large box cereal.. it’s full of flakes ... getting to the prize can take a little work sifting through the cereal ...
Likes For SamSpade1941:
Old 11-12-19, 06:58 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
If you have a large enough vehicle, perhaps. It becomes incredibly obvious if you strap them to the bike rack on the back of your Ford Focus.
Yes, people get suspicious if the body does not resemble a mother-in-law.
Old 11-12-19, 10:17 PM
Harbear
SERAPHIM

Bikes: Rossin, Performance Campione, Ciocc, Colnago, Lejeune, Pinarello, Mizutani, Saavedra, BH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C&V Tire kickers

First rule of contact when I sell something on CL is: Call me. I won't reply to texts or emails. Let's have a conversation. Of course, immediately I get texts or emails. Depending on what mood I'm in I might reply. The reply is always the same. Call me!
Old 11-13-19, 02:13 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Harbear
First rule of contact when I sell something on CL is: Call me. I won't reply to texts or emails.
Talking on the phone with strangers gives me the willies.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-13-19, 02:42 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I just bought a bike on CL and it went well. We met at a local supermarket and after about 20 minutes or so , I made a reasonable offer and the bike was mine. Tire kicking is part of the sale and this was a very nice bike but it takes time to be sure everything was good. I check the frame for any damage , spin the wheels , check the BB and headset etc. I recently tried to sell a 1974 Paramount P13 for a friend who had relocated and left the bike with me. It needed a little work but was a good rider. I had no luck it is still sitting in my shop. I told him to hang on to it ,he was only wanting $500 for it and I thought it would sell quickly , but no such luck . I got offers of $300 before they even looked at it and I just blew them off. First time I had no luck on selling on CL. I have sold a couple of bikes before on CL and it went well so you never know. Joe. joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-13-19, 05:00 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Talking on the phone with strangers gives me the willies.
Agreed. My CL protocols are as such:

1. Email first. Always. I dont give them my number until they give me theirs. If they comply, then I suggest going to texts.

2. If texts are satisfactory, then a call or even two to set it all up.

3. I only give my address if they ask to come look at it.

This is all just a matter of filtering out the wheat from the chaff, and everyone has a system they are comfortable with.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 11-13-19, 05:55 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
At one point during my profession I worked/did undercover drug buys. I have negotiated while looking at a gun and still got a bargain Not much creeps me out about a CL deal. If someone wants to take the money I'm bringing to buy or the thing I'm selling without paying, they better have some experience at it. I have, on only few occasions, sold at my house because the item was difficult to move and couldn't be transported easily to a common location.

All that said, CL has been very good to me.
Old 11-13-19, 07:49 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Yes, exit stage right. I have an appointment... errands that need running....
Old 11-13-19, 11:50 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Harbear
First rule of contact when I sell something on CL is: Call me. I won't reply to texts or emails. Let's have a conversation. Of course, immediately I get texts or emails. Depending on what mood I'm in I might reply. The reply is always the same. Call me!
No offense, but I don't know you. You might be a nut. I don't want you having my phone number until I have established that you are a serious buyer / seller and probably not a weirdo. This is a terrible rule. I would never respond to your ads with this rule.

I do the opposite: Do NOT ask me to call or text you. Phone numbers will be exchanged when we set up a time for you to see the bike.
Old 11-14-19, 08:14 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
No offense, but I don't know you. You might be a nut. I don't want you having my phone number until I have established that you are a serious buyer / seller and probably not a weirdo. This is a terrible rule. I would never respond to your ads with this rule.

I do the opposite: Do NOT ask me to call or text you. Phone numbers will be exchanged when we set up a time for you to see the bike.
Google Voice. Solves the problem.

-Kurt

Old 11-14-19, 08:21 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Google Voice. Solves the problem.
Helps the problem. Prior to being able to block numbers on most phones, it was the only option.

Definitely makes texting conversations better. Makes blocking people easy which is nice with scammers.

But still, I've posted my gVoice number out there too quickly in the past, then spent months fending off every kind of Indian-based call center scam you can imagine. years after the first time I ever posted by gVoice number in an advert on CL, I continue to get 4-5 calls per week in Cantonese, Mandarin or some other variant of Chinese I can't understand with cute music in the background. One of my Chinese coworkers tells me they're scam calls telling me a document or package is tied up in customs or waiting for me at an embassy, waiting for me to pay a fee.
Likes For francophile:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.