Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wtb

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-19, 11:16 AM
Baypathbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wtb

Can I post a want to buy here without paying a fee for the privilege?? Todd

Last edited by Baypathbike; 11-17-19 at 11:17 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-17-19, 12:49 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Baypathbike
Can I post a want to buy here without paying a fee for the privilege?? Todd
No. Buying/Selling posts are for paid members, and should be in the correct forum.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-17-19, 01:15 PM
Baypathbike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
OK done with this , thanks!!!!
Old 11-17-19, 01:44 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but there is an "In Search Of" sticky at the top of this subforum that does not require elevated permissions to use.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-part-5-a.html
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 11-17-19, 03:35 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
OP, Membership is $5 and well worth it IMHO
Likes For ryansu:
Old 11-17-19, 04:23 PM
Baypathbike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Really? this forum wants me to pay money to post a want to buy request? Quick Answer, NO! but thanks and good luck with the business model, Todd
Old 11-17-19, 04:29 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
What are you looking for? If it’s 54-56 and Italian steel, I may have it.
Old 11-17-19, 04:34 PM
Baypathbike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks, but just looking for a weinmann rim for a 1976 Superior
Old 11-17-19, 05:36 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but there is an "In Search Of" sticky at the top of this subforum that does not require elevated permissions to use.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-part-5-a.html
Hmm, my post to this effect earlier today was deleted .
Old 11-17-19, 06:17 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Hmm, my post to this effect earlier today was deleted .
A moderator was probably trying to nip this in the bud. We basically have someone new to the forum that would rather insult the general modus operandi, be told the general rule, then have another member ask them so they can then break the rules and post what they wtb. Some of y'all sure do like making it harder on the moderators here

But yeah, it's $5 to have access to post as many WTB as you want, which will probably save you at least $5 over eBay pricing any day of the week. wtf is so difficult about that concept? If it's offensive, I say go pay eBay prices and spent the next several months or years potentially searching for something enthusiasts here may have in spades.

That $5 goes to keeping resources like this available. At a time when we've seen several resources go down permanently or for a period of time - cyclespeugeot.com, velobase.com, bulgier.net to name a couple - I personally think it's important every member here to encourage the subscription model rather than trying to offer workarounds to newbies who would rather not support this place the vast majority of us have come to enjoy, love and respect.

Sorry, I'll step off my soapbox ...

(but I will add: While there was one time when I had another member try to gouge me, generally speaking I've got some smokin'-ass deals from fellow BF'ers on things because I'm subbed and made a fair chunk of change on extras also!! my membership has been waaaaaay worth it!)
Likes For francophile:
Old 11-17-19, 06:36 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Um, how did this thread get to be something more than a factual question? Just for clarification, opinions (I have none, on this particular topic) aside -- is it appropriate for those who have not obtained a paid membership to use the sticky ISO thread to post WTB requests? Or does that "break the rules"?
Old 11-17-19, 06:45 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Um, how did this thread get to be something more than a factual question? Just for clarification, opinions (I have none, on this particular topic) aside -- is it appropriate for those who have not obtained a paid membership to use the sticky ISO thread to post WTB requests? Or does that "break the rules"?

Not a mod, so I can't say.

For me - and I'm not a lawyer, but might think like one - I think the bigger question is, if every new member is encouraged to use the sticky ISO/WTT thread to openly trade/buy/offload stuff without buying a membership, is that a precedent you'd want to set right here, right now?

It's my understanding that thread is explicitly for WTT cases only, not WTB. At least that's how I've always used it. Generally speaking, you can post ISO, but need to post what you have to trade in response. It's been so long since I looked at the 1st page of the post, I'm not sure if anyone defined it or not.

I'd be careful setting a precedent, though ...

And it would be extremely unfortunate if this thread ends up getting the ISO/WTT thread closed and unstickied because it offers a loophole. It's been hugely helpful to me over the years.
Old 11-18-19, 09:32 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11961 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Baypathbike
Really? this forum wants me to pay money to post a want to buy request? Quick Answer, NO! but thanks and good luck with the business model, Todd
Hi Todd, let's take a pause and look at the whole forest instead of just the few trees right in front of you. These forums are first and foremost discussion forums, NOT a marketplace. For the convenience of our members committed to discussion, over the years we have included a marketplace forum so they can buy and sell bike stuff. Next thing you know some strangers get an account for the sole purpose of buying and selling stuff and with no intention of contributing to the rich discussion culture that flourishes here. Dozens of people with just 2 or 3 posts course through here weekly looking for a good deal, and that's all they're interested in. Once they've found what they want they're gone. We don't want this forum becoming overrun with strangers and mercenaries only here for a quick buck because at some point they will become a nuisance and hinderance to the main purpose of Bike Forums.

So as to discourage the mayhem we ask that these strangers make a $12 commitment to the forum, at which point they can buy and sell in our marketplace at will. It's a steal at $1 per month when you consider the vast knowledge resources available here. You can't even get a cup of coffee for $1 anymore, anywhere. Compare that fee to eBay or Craigslist or any of the others where no priceless information is available.

Finally, subscriptions are not these forums' business model, advertising is. These forums could not survive on membership subscriptions. Essentially, the committed members here contribute $12 a year to help keep the riffraff out. With 19 posts to date you seem like your intentions are honorable and that you are here are to contribute to the knowledgebase here and not just to buy and sell, so your $12 will help keep the riffraff from overrunning you, too.

Last edited by BillyD; 11-18-19 at 09:37 AM.