Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Which Flat Bar Lever and Flat Mount brakes should I use?
Paul Canti Levers and TRP Spyre Brakes (and good cables and housing)
50.00%
Shimano Alfine Levers and Ultegra Discs
25.00%
Shimano Metrea Levers and Discs
0%
Shimano Alfine Levers and Hope RX4s
0%
Magura MT4/5 Lever and Campagnolo H11 Discs (for those who are different)
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Which Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 10:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Which Brakes?

So I am building an gravel/adventure/touring/all-road/yada yada bike with the Koga Denham bar but I am unsure what I want to do for brakes so here is what I am thinking and maybe I could get a poll going to see which one makes most sense. The bars are essentially flat as are the disc brake mounts on the frame.

Thanks in advance for the help. For those curious it is a Sequoia Pro Module frame which will be set up 2x11 XT rear derailleur and Ultegra front derailleur, White Industries cranks and Microshift thumb shifters.

Last edited by veganbikes; 11-18-19 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-18-19, 10:45 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I vote TRP Spyre cable and silver Sturmey Archer levers with plastic inserts.
I have both with my Rohloff. Stops on a dime. The front has SA drum brake with 25,000 miles.
The levers are unbelievably comfortable and they don't seem to be eroding either. Used them all the last 3,900 mile tour and a bit more. They look better than anything else IMO. I switched the rivet to long pull. I bought 2 pairs at the time, I'm so glad. I have old chrome swept back 70d bars.

Black levers will lose the finish anyway, so forget that.
Old 11-18-19, 11:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I vote TRP Spyre cable and silver Sturmey Archer levers with plastic inserts.
I have both with my Rohloff. Stops on a dime. The front has SA drum brake with 25,000 miles.
The levers are unbelievably comfortable and they don't seem to be eroding either. Used them all the last 3,900 mile tour and a bit more. They look better than anything else IMO. I switched the rivet to long pull. I bought 2 pairs at the time, I'm so glad. I have old chrome swept back 70d bars.

Black levers will lose the finish anyway, so forget that.
They actually don't look too bad but I do not like rubber on my levers. Would do Avid Speed Dial 7s but they are long pull only.
Old 11-19-19, 09:19 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If using flat bars, the world is your oyster - you can get any 'MTB' brake set and it should be golden.

IME, cable disc brakes are usually a compromise for lower cost or to use existing levers (like on a drop-bar bike which have few options for hydraulic levers). Hydraulic discs are superior.
I have had great success with Shimano hydraulic discs, and less success with Hayes hydraulic discs. But both were clearly superior to the cable discs I have tried (Avid and Tektro).
Old 11-19-19, 09:37 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
No point in me looking past my Shimano Zee setup, with 180/203mm discs.

I ride a 45mph e-tandem weighing over 100 lbs - they stop that as well as any bike I've ever had, and are great to use with good feel and adjustable-reach levers that feel just right.

Loads of pad choices too, I'm currently using ceramic, in an effort to find something longer lasting than my usual semi metal / sintered.
Old 11-19-19, 04:11 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Would do Avid Speed Dial 7s but they are long pull only.
I thought the "dial" in speed dial 7 was for converting the cable pull.
Old 11-19-19, 07:58 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Shimano hydros, work great.
Old 11-19-19, 08:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
If using flat bars, the world is your oyster - you can get any 'MTB' brake set and it should be golden.

IME, cable disc brakes are usually a compromise for lower cost or to use existing levers (like on a drop-bar bike which have few options for hydraulic levers). Hydraulic discs are superior.
I have had great success with Shimano hydraulic discs, and less success with Hayes hydraulic discs. But both were clearly superior to the cable discs I have tried (Avid and Tektro).
Originally Posted by Leebo
Shimano hydros, work great.
There in lies the problem I am trying to solve. There is some great disc options though again I need FLAT MOUNT brakes (so not a ton of options without adapters which maybe don't look as good?) but I don't really know what I want. I know I like the idea of hydraulic brakes but what do I do should I go full native with Metrea or the Magura MT4s, should I go with Ultegra Brakes and probably Alfine Levers or stick to cable brakes or go with something like the RX4s which are flat mount 4 piston?

Normally I am pretty good at figuring out parts and what I like and don't like but here I am so unsure and keep waffling between stuff I had the idea to crowd source it like the milleniums are doing these days.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I thought the "dial" in speed dial 7 was for converting the cable pull.
I think it is for dialing in the modulation, granted I don't think I have ever actually dialed in my modulation but after learning that I might play more with it.
Old 11-19-19, 09:36 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
You need adaptors for disc size anyway, the calipers don't mount directly to the frame/fork unless you want tiny discs... So flat mount is largely irrelevant.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 11-20-19, 08:56 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
You need adaptors for disc size anyway, the calipers don't mount directly to the frame/fork unless you want tiny discs... So flat mount is largely irrelevant.
^this

When you select your brakes and rotors you also select the adaptors that work with your frame and fork for the desired rotor size. The adaptors, IIRC, are about $8 each.
Old 11-20-19, 09:01 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Also, you said you would use your AVID SD7 levers, but for that they are long pull? Most disc brakes require long pull levers - a few (like the SPyres) are road-specific, but that is so they will work with drop-bar levers.

And long pull levers and calipers are likely (marginally) better than short pull because there is less tension in the cable, and so less housing compression reducing brake feel and modulation.

If you a want the TRP brakes like the Spyre, I believe they make a long-cable-pull version for mtbs called the Spyke.

But really, hydraulic are superior.
Old 11-23-19, 10:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
^this

When you select your brakes and rotors you also select the adaptors that work with your frame and fork for the desired rotor size. The adaptors, IIRC, are about $8 each.
True but the flat mount adaptors for 160s aren't super obtrusive whereas the ones for post mount brakes to flat mount do look a bit more kludgy.

Also, you said you would use your AVID SD7 levers, but for that they are long pull? Most disc brakes require long pull levers - a few (like the SPyres) are road-specific, but that is so they will work with drop-bar levers.

And long pull levers and calipers are likely (marginally) better than short pull because there is less tension in the cable, and so less housing compression reducing brake feel and modulation.

If you a want the TRP brakes like the Spyre, I believe they make a long-cable-pull version for mtbs called the Spyke.

But really, hydraulic are superior.
Yes SD7s are long pull. The Canti Levers are short pull and also MUSA and that never hurts.

I already have a set of Spyre flat mount brakes so if swapping to Spykes was the option I would probably skip that and go hydraulic. The more I think about it the more hydro is what I want but figuring out what configuration I want is what is troubling me.