Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

The evolution of my 2014 Trek 7.4 FX

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

The evolution of my 2014 Trek 7.4 FX

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 01:34 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Cool The evolution of my 2014 Trek 7.4 FX

Some of the changes were done out of necessity, others were for improved performance. I am happy how it turned out and it has become my "around town" ride. This bike only gets ridden approximately 750 miles per year. I use another bike for higher mileage rides and training.

More or less, this is how the build evolved...

1. The stock pedals were the first component that failed. Replaced with Shimano PD-MX80 Saint pedals.

2. I found a virtually NOS set of Shimano XTR 9-speed shifters and brake levers so the stock Alivio units were replaced.

3. The stock bottom bracket did not last long either (like the pedals). It was replaced with a Shimano UN55 unit.

4. A complete re-cabling using Jagwire housing and cables. They feel better than stock but I didn't think they lived up to their reputation/hype. That's not saying they aren't good cables, I was expecting more.

5. Lizard Skin Lock-on Northshore Grips. Very sticky with a larger diameter that feels better in my large hands.

6. Bontrager BackRack and Transit trunk bag. This combination is perfect for bringing home a pound of coffee, carry a few extra spares "just in case" and room to store a jacket and lunch.

7. Portland Design Works Full Metal City Fenders.

8. A set of Mavic MA3 rims with Shimano 105 hubs. Bought off C/L and they appear to be in almost NOS condition (including the 9 speed Ultegra Cassette). These wheels feel a lot more solid and smooth than the stock wheels.

9. NiteRider front and rear rechargeable lights.

10. Garmin 520
Likes For TakingMyTime: