Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixed Gear/Single Speed - Start Here!

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixed Gear/Single Speed - Start Here!

Old 09-26-10, 06:49 PM
OmgAlexteece

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to FG/SS bikes(or any bikes for that matter). I made a single speed out of an old steel frame schwinn a friend gave me but looking to making a fixed gear/single speed out of an aluminum framed bike. So my ?uestion is, some decent/inexpensive frames i can look at? All i see is talk about steel and aluminum, or track and non-track frames but i feel i should get some brand names so i don't get disappointed later. Any help? much appreciated!
Old 09-29-10, 01:42 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the VISP frames look pretty cool.

https://cgi.ebay.com/track-fixed-gear...item414f352716
Old 09-29-10, 02:45 PM
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I really like the look of those fat sexy downtubes.

How much could I swap my sputnik frame form?
Old 10-17-10, 03:29 PM
offthehookah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey is this a good deal? I'm really trying to hop on a fixie soon but I don't wanna overspend in case i don't get into it and it turns out to be a phase, all my friends have a fixie and are trying to get me to start.

Is this a good deal? Overpriced?

https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/1998584908.html

Thanks!
Old 10-17-10, 03:55 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
The Subrosa Malum is a pretty decent bike - aimed mostly toward beginner trick riding crowd - and if I remember correctly, sold complete for around 500 bucks. Is it your size?
Old 10-17-10, 04:25 PM
offthehookah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think so, I'm 5'8 5'9.

so it's not a good deal, average?
I'm looking for a bike I can break even on if in a few months I decide to sell it.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-10, 08:13 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by offthehookah
so it's not a good deal, average?
I'm looking for a bike I can break even on if in a few months I decide to sell it.
Generally speaking this is not how depreciation works.
Old 11-03-10, 05:47 PM
Imbroglio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I didn't see an Introduction thread anywhere so let me thank the admins for this site and thanks in advance to anyone willing to help newbies. I don't want to ask too many questions before I keep reading the knowledge base articles. One thing I have to tell you is that it's really hard to understand what a lot of the information means when a newbie reads the jargon everywhere. I'm sure that'll come with some more time spent reading. Friends help too, but at the moment I'm relocated and don't have any friends that ride.

Just one question for me. Where can I learn more about the size bike frame I need - I am 5 feet, 11 inches tall.

thanks
Old 11-04-10, 08:28 AM
ichitz
Nü-Fred

Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the basic is the measure ur inseam, and make sure the standover height of the bike that u're planning on getting isn't higher than ur inseam so u don't hit anything valuable. Top tube length is also important.

Sheldon has a page on fitting u can read about here.
Competitive cyclist also have a fit calculator on their site. Get out a measuring tape That should be a good place to start.
Old 11-04-10, 01:17 PM
Imbroglio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 11-22-10, 09:12 AM
ismai1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive had my bike for about a week and I've ridden on average 7miles day, longest being 14 miles. My bike makes a weird noise, it sounds like it's comming from the chain... It doesnt sound like its grinding or anything. It almost sounds like I have a spoke card but not as loud. Does anyone know what could be doing this? I have a motobecane track 2010 Thanks!
Old 11-22-10, 09:27 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by ismai1
Ive had my bike for about a week and I've ridden on average 7miles day, longest being 14 miles. My bike makes a weird noise, it sounds like it's comming from the chain... It doesnt sound like its grinding or anything. It almost sounds like I have a spoke card but not as loud. Does anyone know what could be doing this? I have a motobecane track 2010 Thanks!
Did you adjust the chain tension when you first assembled your bike?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 11-22-10, 09:33 AM
ismai1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my local lbs set the bike up for me free of charge, I got the bike through them (they ordered it) I also got free labor for life. Theyre sister companys with bd.
Old 11-22-10, 09:37 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

my local lbs set the bike up for me free of charge, I got the bike through them (they ordered it) I also got free labor for life. Theyre sister companys with bd.
OK, so have you returned to your lbs and asked them about the sound? It may be normal or it may be indicative of the (low) quality of the stock chainring and / or cog.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 11-22-10, 09:42 AM
ismai1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah I just heard it today on my commute to school. I just dont want to strip anything and be bikeless till I get it fixed. What would be your suggestion on what to upgrade on the bike to keep it running? Thanks again.
Old 11-22-10, 09:51 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Nah I just heard it today on my commute to school. I just dont want to strip anything and be bikeless till I get it fixed. What would be your suggestion on what to upgrade on the bike to keep it running? Thanks again.
I'd still recommend you take it to your lbs for evaluation. We can't evaluate your vague description; it could be something that needs adjustment and / or tightening or it might be nothing more than normal noise from low end components. Upgrading will not necessarily change anything. I have spoke cards on one of my bikes and the sound they make doesn't sound like any problem drivetrain sounds that I have heard.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 11-22-10, 09:58 AM
ismai1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay thank you man! I just dont drive much anymore so I have to schedual an apointment with the LBS since I'd have to wait for my bike to be serviced. Would you recomend a good chain / cog? I'll ask the guy at the shop about the upgrade, hes pretty honest. He convinced me not to buy a new saddle and to wear in the one I have. Is there anything else I could upgrade on the bike that would make the ride any better? It's my transportation!
Old 11-22-10, 10:18 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Okay thank you man! I just dont drive much anymore so I have to schedual an apointment with the LBS since I'd have to wait for my bike to be serviced. Would you recomend a good chain / cog? I'll ask the guy at the shop about the upgrade, hes pretty honest. He convinced me not to buy a new saddle and to wear in the one I have. Is there anything else I could upgrade on the bike that would make the ride any better? It's my transportation!
I'd recommend a better quality cog that is cnc machined, not stamped, and made from hardened steel. You can buy a good cog like a Soma for about $20. Also, a good lockring will reduce the chance of a stripped hub. As to the chain, I'd just continue to use the stock one until it wears out, and then replace it with a good quality 1/8 chain like a SRAM PC-7X. Also, my experience with the chainrings that are stock on the Moto Track are not very round and make it difficult to get uniform chain tension as the cranks turn, and a better qulity chainring will make your drivetrain run smoother. If you notice significant difference in chain tension as the cranks turn, you can first try moving the position of the chainring on the crank arm spider, until you find the best position.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 11-22-10, 10:44 AM
ismai1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chain does feel looser when peddling. I think I'm just gonna get a new cog and chain
Old 11-27-10, 11:21 AM
ismai1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=13009

WOuld that work??
Old 11-27-10, 12:20 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Save yourself some money and buy the Soma black finished cogs here >>> https://www.worldclasscycles.com/Trac...nents_cart.htm Also, get a 1/8 cog instead of 3/32, it'll last longer. You are already using a 1/8 chain and chainring.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 11-29-10, 10:36 AM
ismai1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a new cog and chain. I got a 14 tooth cog instead of my 15 i had. i like it! Now my crank is making some weird noise I think its because the pressure the new cog puts on it. I want to get a new crank too now
Old 11-30-10, 04:07 PM
cycleWV_23

Bikes: Trek Mountain Track converted to a CX, Cannondale R800 frameset being built up

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all, one quick question. Im building up a road bike, so the old rigid mtn bike that I had converted w drop bars, slicks, blah blah, is crying out to be to try to make a SS. Just wanting to clear something up, though. Its a bit older and has a 7 spd freewheel on it. Now, I may be using the wrong terminology, but the axle spacing on what I have is going to be wider than a SS hub? So, i guess my ultimate question is, will I just be able to use a ton of spacers before putting on the rear cog? Sorry to confuse at all, but thanks in advance!!
Old 11-30-10, 04:56 PM
ichitz
Nü-Fred

Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
many 7spds have 126mm dropout spacing, which is the width of a ss hub. But to be sure, take a caliper to it
Old 12-04-10, 06:37 PM
just dank
Cult Classic Cycling Club

Bikes: Ridley Helium, Norco Search

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im super new to the fixed gear scene. I'm 6'5" 195lbs 32" inseam and i have an old raleigh frame and fork nor sure of the size. i took off the old 27" tires and a friend of mine gave me some 700x23c rims with a 16t fixed gear on the back. i've got bars, seat, cranks, 48t chainring, pretty much all the parts. the frame has vert dropouts and i'm looking into a frame n fork. from the charts it looks like ill be leaning towards a 60cm frame.

would something like this be ok?
Murphy Himself 60cm frame & fork

Last edited by just dank; 12-04-10 at 06:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.