Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Women's Style: Which Is Most Popular ?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-15, 05:55 AM
Robert11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

For the "Hybrid" model of bikes, which do most Women go for:
the "Step-thru" design, or the one that looks more like a men's conventional, with the higher bar ?

I see they come both ways for Women's.

Any pros and cons, or just totally a matter of preference ?

Much thanks,
B.
Old 05-08-15, 06:21 AM
ProPerformer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my wife a '15 Specialized Ariel disc which is a "high bar" because she didn't like the step thru design. She said "I'm not about to ride in a dress, I don't need that." We both agreed the high bar looked better and that the step thru looked like something my mom would ride.
Old 05-08-15, 07:02 AM
marimorimo

Bikes: Pinarello Razha 2015, Trek FX 7.4 WSD 2015

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a matter of preference, and I suspect ignorance of how to properly mount a bike. I have both a step-through dutch bike and a regular-top tubed hybrid and neither is more difficult to mount than the other. I used to have to do a bit of gymnastics to get on the bike until I was shown how to tilt my bike on the side so I can easily step through it.

There's a kind of extreme step through bike sold in Japan which virtually doesn't have a top tube! It's somewhat like a scooter. Now THAT is easy to mount. I didn't buy it because the handling felt weird and squirrely, but it's a popular design.
Old 05-08-15, 10:17 AM
Northrider23

Bikes: 15' Specialized Sirrus Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my wife the specialized vita sport. Is has straight top tube. She enjoys it very much. We needed a straight top tube on her bike for our bike rack, otherwise we had to purchase a separate bar to accommodate her bike for transport.
Old 05-08-15, 12:16 PM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Northrider23
We needed a straight top tube on her bike for our bike rack, otherwise we had to purchase a separate bar to accommodate her bike for transport.
Good point! I got this for my daughters bike:
Alternative Bike Adapter*| SportRack US

Also there may be less room for a water bottle in a constrained triangle.
I needed to get her a handlebar mounted bottle cage as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Handle...nt+Bottle+Cage
Looks a little goofy, but is an easy reach for water

Last edited by steve_cay; 05-08-15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-08-15, 01:33 PM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last two bike my wife bought absolutely HAD to be step through. No, she doesn't ride is a skirt. To her, its just "feminine".

As for bike racks, your mileage may vary but the LBS advised us her Neko SL would be fine by placing one of the rack's arms under the top tube (at the seat), the other unconventionally under the downtube (at the head).
Old 05-10-15, 03:01 PM
Beth W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two step-throughs, because I have hip problems that prevent the leg-swing from being comfortable.
Old 05-10-15, 10:06 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I think it's mostly a matter of preference unless you ride in a skirt or have physical issues that prevent you from being able to get a leg over on the high bar bike. The women I see on bikes while commuting mostly ride high bar bikes. Given the relaxed geometry and sloping top tubes, it's much easier for women to find a bike that fits. You want an inch between you and the top tube when standing flat foot. The differences you often see in women's specific bikes: narrower handlebars, handlebars with less drop, shorter crank, different seat and sometimes different brakes accommodate smaller hands. My WSD bike was Ultegra but had 105 brakes claiming they were better for smaller hands. Go out and test ride bikes and see which appeals to you. Personally, I think the high bar bikes offer more stability with the triangular frame rather than a v shaped frame. There are some bikes that are in between; one name for them is Mixte, so if you google that, there should be plenty of images.
Old 05-11-15, 06:40 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Much depends upon your particular attributes. My female other half is generally more comfortable on the non-WSD. She had a WSD comfort hybrid that was never really the comfortable for her. Turns out after a "fitting", her geometry is better suited to non-WSD. You just have to find what is right for you.

QT
Old 05-11-15, 09:01 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It is completely personal preference. I have friends who definitely prefer the step through models, even though they don't ride in skirts.

I think it comes down to whether you think throwing your leg around the back wheel and over the saddle as appropriate or not for mounting and dismounting.

From what I understand, a high top tube will result in a stronger frame, but based on the number of old step through models compared to old men's style bikes, either women bought more bikes than I recalls seeing back "in the day" or they didn't ride their bikes very often, or they are plenty strong for most riders.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson