Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Front mudguard too high and too far back

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-09-20, 05:29 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

It's a CX bike but I'll be using it for weekend touring. I have Handsome Cycles mudguards. The Easton fork has the top mounting hole on the rear of the crown. It doesn't go all the way through so I can't attach the bracket in the front, and there is no hole on the bottom. Only the rear. So as you can see from the picture, the whole thing is rotated back about 2 inches further than i would like, it looks kind of funky.

But the biggest issue is that it's too high and has a big gap. Is there some kind of bracket extension I can buy to lower it about an inch? I might be able to fab something but want to see if something I need actually exists first. I saw one from Problem Solvers but that's only for forks that have a hole on the bottom of the crown. And can someone think of a way I can get it bolted on the front of the crown? If there were some kind of U bracket that would run underneath that might work. I've searched and haven't found anything that would work yet.

Old 03-09-20, 05:36 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Many cheap brake boosters have a center top mounting hole. That would put the mounting location in front of the brakes slightly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anodized-Al...RKzRPhGrX4F2gw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MTB-Bic...oAAOSwl0xeWpvs
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 03-09-20, 08:47 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Many cheap brake boosters have a center top mounting hole. That would put the mounting location in front of the brakes slightly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anodized-Al...RKzRPhGrX4F2gw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MTB-Bic...oAAOSwl0xeWpvs
You know, that actually might work. When I get home I'll move it forward and see how it would look.
Old 03-09-20, 10:00 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
There are people out there that wish they could get their front fenders down lower to reduce water spray on their legs and feet. I know people that buy two sets of fenders, discard the front and use the second rear on the front to get it lower down like yours.
Old 03-09-20, 11:56 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Just make an L bracket with two 4mm bolts to the fender. Make an oval hole for the fork. Try to hammer it round to fit the fender better. Maybe use a tube piece to pad it. Tape the tab of the other mount.
I agree it is too low. I tried the same one time. It lasted one ride, until I pushed the bike off a curb where it klunked. NOT safe.
Then I cut up an old rubber boot and put it on to hang where your fender is now. Looks and works fabulously. Other stiff solutions are not good either.
I also put a rubber flap at the front of the rear fender, behind the BB, so it hangs a couple inches below the chain. This works even better to keep everything less dirty. Both bikes are IGH.
I don't see why you would need those brake arches.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-09-20 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-09-20, 03:22 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Go to Lowes/LHS and get a steel pipe hanger for $1. Cut/bend/drill/file/paint to fabricate L bracket of suitable dimensions to achieve desired fender fit. Install and ride.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/HoldRite-1-...ron/1001095368

VO has a large assortment of good value, high quality fenders:

https://velo-orange.com/collections/fenders

Last edited by seeker333; 03-09-20 at 03:28 PM.
Likes For seeker333:
Old 03-10-20, 03:37 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by seeker333
Go to Lowes/LHS and get a steel pipe hanger for $1. Cut/bend/drill/file/paint to fabricate L bracket of suitable dimensions to achieve desired fender fit. Install and ride.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/HoldRite-1-...ron/1001095368
I believe that would work. Thanks.

I have thought about getting an All City Nature Boy CX fork, they cost only $130. The durability would be a plus but I do like how light my Easton is. The whole bike is actually very light.

Old 03-11-20, 06:15 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I believe...
Although I did this kludge a few years back, I suspect I used the exact Lowes part previously linked for the ~2" drop fender mount pictured below. Apologies for the huge images. That is 3M Scotchlite reflective tape on VO aluminum fenders.

An alternative is the Problem Solvers Fender Flute, much prettier and much more $:

https://problemsolversbike.com/produ..._flute_-_32803

https://cdn.bike24.net/i/mb/79/30/67...1-c-128864.jpg

I don't understand why you want a new fork. I reread the OP and to me the fender does not look too bad, and in fact it likely keeps more water off your feet in this "low in back" position than if it were higher with the usual smallish mud flap.

Last edited by seeker333; 03-11-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 02:18 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
if ya wanna lower the fender, consider an extendo thingy from the bottom opening of the fork.
imagine something like an expando plug you stick into a handlebar, like a mirror attachment.
short section of aluminum pipe, one end with slots cut, and an expanding wedgie to lock in place.

another option.........drive a star nut in the bottom of the fork for your fender mount.
assuming you assume you'll never need to drive the upper star nut out.

**ah, managed to open the link above. the flute thingy should work.
would be super easy to make one yourself.........

Last edited by saddlesores; 03-12-20 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 11:39 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
You might want to conside fenders with a "safety "quick disconnecr where it attaches to the fork's dropouts. Picking p a piece of debris that jams between you front wheel and fender can be exciting. Planet Bike and SKS both have fenders with this feature.

This was on a rear feender but the debris jamed between the wheel and the fender actual folded up my fender accordain style, jammed the wheel, and cut a big gash in the tire. I'm glad it was not on teh front wheel.
Old 03-16-20, 08:08 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
It's a CX bike but I'll be using it for weekend touring. I have Handsome Cycles mudguards. The Easton fork has the top mounting hole on the rear of the crown. It doesn't go all the way through so I can't attach the bracket in the front, and there is no hole on the bottom. Only the rear. So as you can see from the picture, the whole thing is rotated back about 2 inches further than i would like, it looks kind of funky.

But the biggest issue is that it's too high and has a big gap. Is there some kind of bracket extension I can buy to lower it about an inch?
Maybe the Problem Solvers Fender Flute (https://problemsolversbike.com/produ..._flute_-_32803) will do what you need. It should at least let you move the fender down a bit, and maybe you could hook your fender attachment to back of the flute and move it that much more forward.