Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 03-21-20, 04:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
we had a virtual cocktail hr w/ friends last night. I didn't need the alcohol but I wanted to be social

Old 03-22-20, 05:38 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
we had a virtual cocktail hr w/ friends last night. I didn't need the alcohol but I wanted to be social
I didn't actually need the 16oz of Sip Of Sunshine I drank yesterday afternoon.

Still, it was a nice follow-up to the morning's ride. 34 miles, fierce northwest wind, temps rising from the low 40's to the high 40's.

Likes For jimmuller:
Old 03-22-20, 05:48 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked 900 Times in 483 Posts
Today I rode my Allroads for 33 miles. I meandered my way through Weston and Lincoln on into Lexington. I got on Mass ave and rode it all the way into Harvard Square, Up Mt Auburn st into Watertown Square. From there I followed Main St back into Waltham. Not a typical route for me but I was anticipating light traffic and Instead of the rock walled rolling countryside I’m used to I decided upon an urban route.
Old 03-23-20, 05:24 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I didn't actually need the 16oz of Sip Of Sunshine I drank yesterday afternoon.

Still, it was a nice follow-up to the morning's ride. 34 miles, fierce northwest wind, temps rising from the low 40's to the high 40's.
In this age of uncertainty, when even a 6 hour drive is too far, I sure wish I could have joined you on those lovely wooded routes. No way, huh? One wee silver lining: my friend who owns an LBS can never go cycling with me as he's always open, cracking the nut. But Saturday he was shut down by our Governor. Friday night I get a text - "what time are we leaving?"

We took our two orange C'dales to the SRT and "wasted 2 hours" in the warm sun. You should have seen the grin on his face! Ages since he had time to ride that road bike. So smooth and quiet. "No phone, no pets. Ain't got no cigarettes. King of the road."

This, too, shall pass. BTW, still healthy and hearty here. Riding more too. Our county G'ovt says Yes, go outside and exercise, use our trails and stay away from people. My usual modus operandi. Does that make me "an early adopter"?
Old 03-23-20, 05:37 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by Prowler
Yes, go outside and exercise, use our trails and stay away from people. My usual modus operandi. Does that make me "an early adopter"?
Good morning, Todd. It definitely makes you avant garde. Good to see you getting out.

I'm suspecting I won't be doing the CCRT ride in April. Unless things change dramatically between now and then Sharon won't let me.
Old 03-23-20, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

working from home (Day 1)
had a Drs apt for a red eye (turned out to be nothing)
but had to logon w/ inoutboard to say I was working but stepping away from my desk
also sent a work email or our "group""
got a work email saying I should download & install "Slack" so I can comunicate with everyone - that failed
got a txt saying I should download & install "Jive" so I can check office voices msgs & change my out-of-office greeting - that failed
got back from Drs apt & joined a cell phone, conference call
I have a headache
all I can think of tho is an incoming snow storm & whether I should ride (after work 4pm) in the woods or drive to Bedford Depot for the MM, cuz I still have 2 bikes w/ studded tires ...
are my cameras charged?

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-23-20, 05:43 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

After seeing roads fairly full of Sunday drivers yesterday today the mid morning roads were less traveled. I rode 30 miles on my Allroads through Weston, Lincoln and Sudbury long before the mid March winter wonderland. Staying on the bike brings a much needed sense of familiarity. After the rain began and I wound down work tasks I donned some non-performance oriented wet weather cycling gear and hopped on my touring bike and loaded up the Ortliebs at the grocery store. I left just enough room for a run to the package store. Much to my delight they informed me that they were considered essential and would remain open in the days to come.
Old 03-24-20, 06:26 PM
Ghazmh

I was overjoyed to get on the bike again this afternoon. I rode my Allroads through Weston, Sudbury and Lincoln again but for 23 miles. I crossed paths with just a few other riders this time.
Old 03-24-20, 08:11 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I was overjoyed to get on the bike again this afternoon. I rode my Allroads through Weston, Sudbury and Lincoln again but for 23 miles. I crossed paths with just a few other riders this time.
nice how was the pavement? just wet? late yesterday they were getting sketchy
Old 03-25-20, 05:10 AM
Ghazmh

nice how was the pavement? just wet? late yesterday they were getting sketchy
mostly dry with occasional puddles to avoid or splash through.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-25-20, 04:01 PM
Ghazmh

I maintained my social distancing for 30 more miles on my Alllroads again today through Weston, Sudbury, and Lincoln. It was grey cool day with slight headwind everywhere I went.
Old 03-25-20, 04:45 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I maintained my social distancing for 30 more miles on my Alllroads again today through Weston, Sudbury, and Lincoln. It was grey cool day with slight headwind everywhere I went.
Mike, it's good to see you still riding. Me, I've been working from home and cooking and cleaning up and doing other kinds of indoor stuff, mostly. Also riding a trainer and watching some interesting TV.
Old 03-25-20, 06:50 PM
Ghazmh

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Mike, it's good to see you still riding. Me, I've been working from home and cooking and cleaning up and doing other kinds of indoor stuff, mostly. Also riding a trainer and watching some interesting TV.
thanks Jim. My work has me dividing my time between my home office and going to customer sites. Trying to stay in the office as much as possible, only going to customer sites when really necessary. Thats just made it all the more easier to sneak out the door for a mid day bike ride.
Old 03-26-20, 04:53 AM
rumrunn6

re:working from home

yesterday I goofed. my laptop connects to my work computer so if you’re sitting at my office desk it appears as tho a ghost is operating it. anyway at home I wanted to “sleep” my laptop & move it downstairs for lunchtime, but I wound up “sleeping” my office computer! DOH! the only way to wake it is to wiggle the mouse 🐁 & enter the password from within my office. ugh, so that’s what I had to do. 2 hrs wasted with the old round trip commute & approx 15 seconds at my desk
Old 03-27-20, 06:58 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
OK, so just need sanity check about these two.

First guy close passes every pedestrian, one on the RIGHT.

Second guy, we are four people spaced six feet apart at the light. And then arrives slaloming shoaler.

Really, people? Really?

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 03-27-20, 07:58 PM
rumrunn6

suddenly excited. I recall a good ride from home (Stowish) to my old stomping grounds at Porter Square via 2A & Mass Ave. might be time for a repeat if the roads are clear
well didn't quite make it that far. got as far East as Bedford Depot. but I'll ride another day. regardless, Wifey said she was tired of me stressing at home & kicked me out the door. thank you Dear, I owe today's 28 miles to you

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-27-20 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 05:45 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
First guy close passes every pedestrian, one on the RIGHT.

Second guy, we are four people spaced six feet apart at the light. And then arrives slaloming shoaler.

Really, people? Really?
Same thing here in Pennsylvania. 80% of the trail users are doing great. Using the right edge of the trail, move to single file when they hear you coming. No bunching up, plenty of distancing for passing. BUT 20% appear to be clueless, criminally negligent. Passing close, not moving over, blocking the trail, walking in large family or friend groups. No distancing. Not moving over.

I'm sure some did not hear me muttering "Stupid people, stupid, stupid". The groups of girls stopped in the middle of the trail with their bikes, blocking most of the trail probably heard me yell at them. The tight group of riders on a narrow bridge, leaving 1ft of room to pass probably did hear my full volume F bomb. Ok, I lost my cool there. Scary. Small wonder our case counts are rising exponentially.

Two young mothers with babies in their strollers and small kids, stopped one on each side of the narrow trail. Two feet of space between them, yaking away. I stopped 20 feet away, track standing, waiting. No movement. One finally flicks her hand "come on thru". I held my breath and my tongue but those folks may end up in the hospital. Really, people, really?
Likes For Prowler:
Old 03-28-20, 12:09 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 233 Posts
I got out early today and rode the MM from East Arlington to the Bedford Depot. It was fairly quiet on the way out, a bit busier on the way back, especially approaching Arlington Center. I did my best to maintain the 6 feet, but it was just not possible with some folks, like the 3 women jogging side by side who acknowledged my "on your left" with a thank you but did not give way at all. The few folks at the Depot were keeping their distance. I hung out for a bit at the bench on the trail near the railcar. I have to say, people were friendlier than usual. Every rider who passed by while I was there, maybe 8 or so, said hello. So that was nice.

No food vendors at the Depot today (actually, I don't recall ever seeing one there):

The Lexington visitor center is coming along:

I believe they are/were planning to open it this Spring.

Automobile traffic is so down now that I rode almost the whole ride without having to unclip at intersections. I have to say that I am enjoying the quieter, slower paced life many of us are living now. If only we could have that without the threat of mass illness, it would be great. (I realize many folks are are suffering to due lack of work, etc - I don't mean to minimize that.)

Anyway, stay safe out there.
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 03-28-20, 02:17 PM
rumrunn6

I’ve used Express Pizza approx 63 Loomis St right there at the Depot end usually if I drive to that parking lot and I want a sub after my ride
Old 03-28-20, 04:23 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 1,672 Times in 865 Posts
Having noticed on previous rides that the streets are now much less congested than the trails, I took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe on a 2-hour social distancing road ride, more or less a substitute for the Depot Park back-and-forth, but without the Minuteman and with more hills, 17 miles through Arlington, Lexington, and Lincoln. Started the ride by rolling NW on Mass Ave, which was sparsely traveled, about as many bikes as cars, and relatively few of either (the Minuteman, when I could see it, appeared somewhat congested).

Climbed the first hill of the ride, Mass Ave up to Arlington Heights, then rambled through the village of East Lexington to turn left onto Marrett Road, which gave me a gentle stage climb as far as Middle Street. Rolled down Middle Street, onto Lincoln Street, Lexington, and shot under Route 128 (I-95 for out-of-towners). I paused to check the state of the Cambridge Reservoir, which appears to be reserving plenty of water, thank you.

After perhaps a few yards on Lexington Road, Lincoln, I turned right onto Mill Street, for another stage climb up to Route 2A (North Great Road). I followed that down to Old Mass Ave and the Fiske Hill section of the Minute Man National Historical Park, where I paused to photograph the full parking lot.

Feeling patriotically renewed and historically contextualized, I continued down Old Mass Ave, turned right onto Wood Street for a short block, then turned left on Mass Ave to climb the hill that everyone forgets is there. It's a nice hill, fun to climb, fun to roll down. I stopped at the top for some more historical contextualization.

That done, I went charging down the steep Mass Ave descent, hit the lights right, and rolled into Lexington Center at speed, then simply continued along Mass Ave to my East Arlington destination. Along the way, I noticed a line of persons seeking coffee, standing at six foot intervals, snaking towards the Starbucks next to TJs. A minute or so later, I noticed what in the 50's would have been termed a "car hop" administering caffeinated curb service at the Dunkin Donuts at the Foot of the Rocks (more or less).

This ride pleased me; it had enough hills to make my legs and lungs take note, it fit nicely into a 2-hour interval, and it got me back and forth across 128 without having to dodge ramp traffic. At least for the duration of the public health emergency, I guess I'll be easing off on the Minuteman a bit. Mass Ave is wider, and not as busy.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-28-20 at 06:15 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 03-28-20, 04:59 PM
rumrunn6

it's tricky when there are 3, left, center & right, where the center child is head down texting, despite my verbal announcements, until the final seconds. I did slow down of course, but still, come on kids ...!

this is in West Concord

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-28-20 at 10:42 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-28-20, 07:24 PM
Ghazmh

My original plan for today (conceived 2 weeks ago while hoping for nice weather) was to ride to Portsmouth on my 520 with Mrs Ghazmh meeting me up there and drive home. In light of the global situation we decided against it. So instead I rode my Seven for a nice 50 mile ride through Weston, Wellesley, Natick, Sherborn, Holliston and Medway. I mostly was on Rte 16, 126, and 109 with lots of rolling meandering side roads in between.

After accepting that riding to Portsmouth on my 520 was out I was going to ride my Smoothie on a casual ride with a slowish tour vibe. But since finding a quaint coffee shop or other hidden gems wasn’t too likely I acquiesced to the Siren callings of my Seven.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 03-28-20 at 09:44 PM.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-29-20, 06:06 PM
Ghazmh

Today was wet, very wet. Nonetheless I rode my Allroads with its PDW Shiny Metal Fenders 28 miles on a truncated version of yesterday’s route.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 03-29-20 at 06:19 PM.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-30-20, 04:51 AM
rumrunn6

suddenly excited. I recall a good ride from home (Stowish) to my old stomping grounds at Porter Square via 2A & Mass Ave. might be time for a repeat if the roads are clear
still looking forward to this but wound up doing the other half. Friday I rode from home to Bedford, Sunday I rode Bedford to Spy Pond, Arlington. some day soon I'll do the whole round trip. yesterday was wet alright! I had a good start in only light rain, but then shortly before my turn around, it became steady again. but glad I got out for the 18 + miles

if you'll forgive the expression, the die-hards were out

very few ppl at the pond

a small family group fishing

the canals, culverts & drainage were all flowing

some plackards for food service businesses open for call-ahead take-out, like this one for Nellio's

I had taken my bar mitts off Friday & didn't put them back on. fortunately I chose good gloves. unfortunately I didn't do the same with my shoe choice. by time I was done, my toes were done

guess I should get some conventional cleated shoe covers

no shortage of new signs on the MM. glad is was rainy & devoid of crowds

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-30-20 at 05:21 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-30-20, 05:00 AM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
I send tribute to you guys for riding on a cold windy wet day! I got rides in on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Likes For jsilvia:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.