Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Frame suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 05:34 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Frame suggestions

So, I am thinking I am just going to ride my CAAD4 until I can build a new bike. Planning on building from ground up. So, I am looking for suggestions on a frame. I am wanting to do a full Shimano 105 hydraulic disc setup. So, here is what I am looking for.

threaded bottom bracket
flat mount disc brakes
ride clearance for somewhere in the ball park of 35c tires
hopefully sub $1000 for the frame
Aluminum frame. I live in the rust/salt belt so no steel frame and carbon is going to be out of my price range.

Is there anything on the market that will fit this role?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-09-20, 07:47 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Besides which parts you want to to use, what kind of bike are you looking to build? Do you already have a bunch of the parts, or is there a particular ‘signature’ component you want to use?

it seems like you’re trying to build a bike that there’s already a couple or three of on the market:

The Cannondale Topstone 105 has pretty much all the specs you’re looking for at about $1750 complete.

The Specialized Diverge has a similar, if slightly more off-road oriented mission.

There is an ‘SE’ version of the Cannondale Synapse that’s more ‘all-road’ than gravel, but it only fits 30-32mm tires IIRC.
Old 05-09-20, 08:28 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Besides which parts you want to to use, what kind of bike are you looking to build? Do you already have a bunch of the parts, or is there a particular ‘signature’ component you want to use?

it seems like you’re trying to build a bike that there’s already a couple or three of on the market:

The Cannondale Topstone 105 has pretty much all the specs you’re looking for at about $1750 complete.

The Specialized Diverge has a similar, if slightly more off-road oriented mission.

There is an ‘SE’ version of the Cannondale Synapse that’s more ‘all-road’ than gravel, but it only fits 30-32mm tires IIRC.
Essentially, building up a bike to commute with. But the roads and sidewalks where I live are horrible with lots of heaving in all areas. This is the primary reason for wanting a bit wider tire. I currently ride a CAAD4 R500 as a commuter. And after having hydraulic disc on my Kona, I don't want rim brakes.

The primary reason for wanting to build is mostly for the cost budgeting. I fully understand it will end up costing more money to build, I have been doing the same thing with PCs since the mid 2000s. Though that Topstone 105 is very intriguing.
Old 05-10-20, 07:35 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I build my own as well. If I can get you to up the budget a few hundred bucks, a nice titanium frame and the fork of your choosing is available from Habanero Cycles. I have had two of them and they are terrific frames. I build my own frames now, and gave my Habby cross frame to my son in Seattle and he commutes on it as well as cross races and adventure rides with his friends. The cross frame is $1000, and you can put any fork you have at home or purchase from their website or any other source. habcycles.com is the place. They don't corrode like steel or aluminum, and since they are a natural brushed finish if a rub mark appears it can be scuffed out with an abrasive pad. As for an aluminum frame, plenty should be available for well under a grand.
Old 05-10-20, 01:02 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I build my own as well. If I can get you to up the budget a few hundred bucks, a nice titanium frame and the fork of your choosing is available from Habanero Cycles. I have had two of them and they are terrific frames. I build my own frames now, and gave my Habby cross frame to my son in Seattle and he commutes on it as well as cross races and adventure rides with his friends. The cross frame is $1000, and you can put any fork you have at home or purchase from their website or any other source. habcycles.com is the place. They don't corrode like steel or aluminum, and since they are a natural brushed finish if a rub mark appears it can be scuffed out with an abrasive pad. As for an aluminum frame, plenty should be available for well under a grand.
My wife isn't going to like this. I am kind of a material junkie and love titanium, especially in a raw finish. I will check them out.

Last edited by Melvang; 05-10-20 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Autocorrect error