Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Too big and strong for the frame. Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Too big and strong for the frame. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 11:02 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
No more spinach.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 06-25-20, 11:19 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Oh I forgot!

Redline Monocog. That's what he needs.
I didn't agree with you on the GT MTB idea since those are becoming cult status, but I love this idea. There are 26" and 29" versions of Monocogs
Old 06-25-20, 11:25 PM
tricky 

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Thanks for all the feedback.
Thinking right now
Single speed with freewheel for less frame stress.
Cannondale could be an option as even a complete bike is cheaper here in PDX than the Surly frame. But as aluminum, rear spacing is Not adjustable.
Varsity is bombproof but man Varsities are going for way more than I would expect, even during a bike boom.
lets see what Young Spadoni says to all of this......
Ah, you're in PDX? That (as you probably know) increases your price point, but you also have a few co-ops down there that might still have some frames available.
Old 06-26-20, 09:54 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
No, I’m not. It’s Mr. Spadoni the Youngest, who is 6’ 3” and tips the scales at something north of 200. He calls me today, after he had ridden to work. His question today was about the frequency of seat tube / bb separations. Seems he had just suffered his second one in a little over a year.
While he has ridden vintage bikes in the past, these failures have come on a lower end fixed gear bike that he has written for the last two years. The switch to fixed came after he realized that he did not have the temperament to fiddle with shifters and cleaning chains. With the fixed, if he had air in the tires, he would get to work on time.
The bike came from a local shop, and they have stood behind everything that he has broken, in addition to the frames. But clearly he needs to upgrade before the shop has had enough and clamps him into a work stand or something else to maintain their profits.
so here’s the question: do I try to find another frame and we build up something solid? Or does he just buy something new? Likely it would still be fixed, as he likes the feel of the ride. In either case, it will be parked on the street so it can’t be too high end, and he does need fenders. I am kind of inclined to the first option but need help in keeping things simple because I an not the one that will do most repairs.
any suggestions.

if he insists on fixie (have a son like that) consider gettng a quality frame either used vintage and if need be use a singulator for chain wrap, or someting like the soma rush https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/rush or a surly steam roller https://surlybikes.com/bikes/steamroller

another option (knowing kids, even big adult ones) is a vintage geared bike that will take fenders and find a gear he likes and then tell him not to bother shifting

Old 06-26-20, 10:16 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Maybe find something that is tough, but will also have great ride quality. Basically, anything in Columbus Aelle, Chromor (Matrix), Thron, SP, SPX...
Old 06-26-20, 10:17 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Oh I forgot!

Redline Monocog. That's what he needs.
Oh man I forgot about those. If you can find one that would be an awesome bike.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
if he insists on fixie (have a son like that) consider gettng a quality frame either used vintage and if need be use a singulator for chain wrap, or someting like the soma rush https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/rush or a surly steam roller https://surlybikes.com/bikes/steamroller

another option (knowing kids, even big adult ones) is a vintage geared bike that will take fenders and find a gear he likes and then tell him not to bother shifting
Fixed gear with a chain tensioner is a no-go.

Fenders with track ends can be a PITA, so if you go that route I would suggest a full-coverage front and something like a PDW clamp-on rear fender.

I'd probably go with a good quality vintage roadie and run it fixed. It should have all the right provisions for brakes, fender mounts, and forward facing angled dropouts that make taking the rear wheel out with fenders a non-issue and allow you to get proper chain tension without a tensioner.
Old 06-26-20, 10:19 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

State bikes also make a pretty good fixed too. 4130 double butted fully built bike for $460.
Old 06-26-20, 11:15 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
A Langster might work from around 2010
[url=https://flic.kr/p/CquLb9][im2010 Langster Steel 61cm, on Flick

No light weight at 22lbs as shown.
Old 06-26-20, 03:14 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^^ 32-spokers might not be apropos.
Old 06-26-20, 07:53 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 217 Posts
So Young Spadoni drops by today. I tell him what sage advice the denizens of BF offered on his next bike and showed him a couple bikes on CL that he could consider when he was ready to buy a new steed. He left, and I expected to hear nothing for months. The lad likes to ponder before acting. But not this time. A few hours later, he texts me to say he has bought a Cannondale! With multiple speeds! And functional brakes! I am still awaiting photos, from the drive side, of course, to further I D said bike, but as Squirtdad suggested, kids will surprise you. This one sure did.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 06-27-20, 04:56 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro

Cannondales? The early aluminum tin cans?

If if they were so bad, why are there so many of them still around? Especially the XXLs; I can’t swing a dead cat at my CL without hitting a 62cm 3.0 or R800.
Old 06-27-20, 05:53 AM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I'm 6ft 3in tall, and in my younger days, when I was far more fit, I was around 280 lbs, now I'm closer to 400 and I lost an inch or so of height. Back then I used to break frames, break cranks, and wipe out freewheels all the time. The frames were usually broken either where the downtube meets the bottom bracket or across the chainstays just behind the BB.
One broke mid headtube but it broke early on in the frame's life so I more attested that one to be a defect.
Cranks were the hardest to take as they usually hurt when they broke, the frames would give me a warning and usually get me home unless it completely separated at the stays. I had one later Raleigh separate its rear stays at the seat tube.
I didn't ride fixed gear though, I'm not sure how that comes into play with frame strength but I could see it being hard on cranks.
Old 06-27-20, 11:38 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Hardening Aluminium to be avoided by the gorilla.

If you have a breaking frame problem, stay away from Al bikes - especially second hand . Al work-hardens and it will crack if you exceed its yield strength and will simply crack with no warning.
Old 06-30-20, 02:10 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
If you have a breaking frame problem, stay away from Al bikes - especially second hand . Al work-hardens and it will crack if you exceed its yield strength and will simply crack with no warning.
This is why no one uses Al rims anymore.

Or handlebars.

Or seat posts.

Or steering stems.
Old 06-30-20, 02:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Single speed from fix gear is a BIG step down if he has fallen in love with riding fixed. If I had to make that choice I'd stick to gears despite fix gears being my number one the past 40 years.

I'd look at exactly where and why the frames are breaking. Shouldn't be happening; at least not until a few years of hard riding have happened Too short a seattube (that saves the work of mitering the tube to fit the other tubes)? Faulty BB shell?

Possible solutions for your son - an older style track bike. Those bikes are built to handle strong 200 pound riders in competition. (Well not all but the bikes used in Velodrome fleets, yes. The Fuji track bikes of not that many years ago have been used as fleet bikes by many velodromes. I've seen very big and strong national riders show up at our local Alpenrose track and rent Fujis rather than fly with their bikes.) If there's a track nearby, call them and ask about such bikes.

I had a co-worker who went through Miyata after Miyata in the early '90s. Always broke at the brake cable exit on the top tube. Miyata always honored the warranty but he spent real time without his transportation for a 20 mile each way commute. I've heard since that many of those early internally cabled Miyatas broke, Yes, he was big and strong, but like your son - still ...

Edit: MIssed the second page. Oops.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-30-20 at 02:58 PM.