Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I just gotta Miyata. 😎

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I just gotta Miyata. 😎

Old 06-27-20, 04:50 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I just gotta Miyata. 😎

After a recent lapse of good judgment in another deal (long story, I might share later), I made up for it today. I bought this 1985 Miyata 610, at a great price, which balanced my scales again nicely. 😁

This thing probably has about 100 miles or less on it, going by the condition of the original tires & brake pads, and what I thought was a scratched up seat tube, is just crud that needs cleaned off.

Not only is the Root Beer paint perfect, as close as I can tell, but I finally got some Sunshine Gyro Master hubs. With 40 spokes in the rear, & 36 front. 😁😎😁

The DT shifters & both derailleurs are Shimano Light Action, with a Shimano 6-speed freewheel. The cantilever brakes are Shimano BR AT-50, with BL-Z30 turkey levers. The cranks are a Sugino GP triple, haven’t counted teeth yet. 😉

OK, I’ll shut up, & post some pics. ✌️

Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-27-20, 05:02 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I just noticed the pedal straps are Miyata-branded, too, and the saddle obviously is. I’m not sure if that saddle is sueded leather or a nicer imitation, but it seems pretty comfy. 👍

And what’s that braze-on, on the chain stay? An anti-chain suck device? 🤔 I vaguely remember seeing a pic here at BF, but don’t remember what it was exactly.

Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-27-20, 05:24 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
Wow this is awesome! Love the straps. 1985 is my favorite year for Miyata color schemes and decals (I do love the 1988 615 burgundy though). Here is my 85 310.

Last edited by polymorphself; 06-27-20 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 06-27-20, 05:38 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
That little device on the chain stay is to guard against chain slap. Not quite as elegant as what Fuji put on some of their bikes in the 70's, but quite effective.

Amazing acquisition. Just be cautious with the tubes/tires. They look great, but even in the best storage conditions, time takes a toll.
Old 06-27-20, 05:58 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Wow this is awesome! Love the straps. 1985 is my favorite year for Miyata color schemes and decals (I do love the 1988 615 burgundy though). Here is my 85 310.

Picked this burgundy '88 615 up for my niece from a fellow BF member today...

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 06-27-20, 06:00 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Picked this burgundy '88 615 up for my niece from a fellow BF member today...

So nice! Burgundy bikes go so well with aluminum and brown accessories/accents especially.
Old 06-27-20, 06:44 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

A note to myself, the seat post is marked 26.8, but it’s a LaPrade, and a little short. Still perfectly useable for now. 😉

BTW, a flick stand sure helps, when you don’t have a work stand.
Old 06-27-20, 06:48 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by USAZorro
That little device on the chain stay is to guard against chain slap. Not quite as elegant as what Fuji put on some of their bikes in the 70's, but quite effective.

Amazing acquisition. Just be cautious with the tubes/tires. They look great, but even in the best storage conditions, time takes a toll.
Roger that. The tires might look new, but I’ll still get new ones (and tubes) soonest. ✌️
Old 06-28-20, 05:03 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
NIce bike. I have an 86...I'll post a pic later.
Old 06-28-20, 05:48 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Nice one!
Old 06-28-20, 06:29 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
After a recent lapse of good judgment in another deal (long story, I might share later), I made up for it today. I bought this 1985 Miyata 610, at a great price, which balanced my scales again nicely. 😁
Nice bike but what is this balance thing you speak of. Buy high, sell low seems to be my way of doing things.
Old 06-28-20, 07:06 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Sweet bike!

You also have the hooks for hanging Cannondale bags on the dropouts and fork ends!

Roger that. The tires might look new, but I’ll still get new ones (and tubes) soonest. ✌️
There are people that are enamored with those weird Miyata radials.

In any case, they look to be "displayable" which means "sellable."

Now this brings up another thing- how "collectible" is this bike? I'm guessing after clean up, this bike will be REALLY clean. Is there "collectability" in this model of Miyata that it's more than "a bike?" Or is it just a clean bike to deck out and ride responsibly?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-28-20, 07:10 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by beicster
Nice bike but what is this balance thing you speak of. Buy high, sell low seems to be my way of doing things.
LOL, thanks for sharing the misery. 😁😉

For the record, this one’s decal is written out as “six ten”, not “610”, as I posted earlier. Apparently, there was a cutoff date, in the mid-80s, where they changed it over. I guess that’s important for folks trying to date a frame, so worth mentioning. 🤔
Old 06-28-20, 07:13 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Love the Miyatas' you guys are posting.

OP, great pick up. Laws of nature do have a balancing effect for sure
Old 06-28-20, 07:21 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Sweet bike!

You also have the hooks for hanging Cannondale bags on the dropouts and fork ends!

Now this brings up another thing- how "collectible" is this bike? I'm guessing after clean up, this bike will be REALLY clean. Is there "collectability" in this model of Miyata that it's more than "a bike?" Or is it just a clean bike to deck out and ride responsibly?
Hey, someone who knows what they’re doing! 😁😉

Yeah, I figured out what those hooks are for, but had to take them off, to get my panniers AND the quick-release levers to fit into that little space. I have small parts in a baggie. 👍

Hey, which is the better model cantilevers, the AT50 or AT70? 🤔 And is there any difference worth pursuing? Thanks. 🙂
Old 06-28-20, 08:16 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Hey, which is the better model cantilevers, the AT50 or AT70? 🤔 And is there any difference worth pursuing? Thanks. 🙂

Go for either the XT M732 or the "Deore II" MT-62 brakes. They're cold forged, more finely finished (and will shine up much nicer), have the ability to preset/balance the spring load, they have SLR capability, if you get some SLR levers some time down the line.

MC70M732MT62 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-28-20, 08:49 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Go for either the XT M732 or the "Deore II" MT-62 brakes. They're cold forged, more finely finished (and will shine up much nicer), have the ability to preset/balance the spring load, they have SLR capability, if you get some SLR levers some time down the line.

MC70M732MT62 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
Thanks, I’m not in any big hurry to upgrade those, but figured you know. 👍

I wasn’t ignoring you on purpose, just had to get to coffee. 😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-28-20, 12:15 PM
Cougrrcj

A note to myself, the seat post is marked 26.8, but it’s a LaPrade, and a little short. Still perfectly useable for now. 😉

BTW, a flick stand sure helps, when you don’t have a work stand.
All of the Miyatas (and Miyata-built Univegas) that I've had were all 26.8 seatposts. I've upgraded the ones in my stable to better, fully adjustable seatposts. I have one 'spare' that will probably end up on the niece's bike, should she decide to keep it.

I'm waiting to hear back from her as to her preferences on bar tape or housing colors so I can have it ready for her when she arrives in less than three weeks... Bars will not be wrapped until she decides where she wants the brake levers positioned, but at least I'll have the right color tape on hand...

Gold? Pink?

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 06-28-20 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 12:37 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

All of the Miyatas (and Miyata-built Univegas) that I've had were all 26.8 seatposts. I've upgraded the ones in my stable to better, fully adjustable seatposts. I have one 'spare' that will probably end up on the niece's bike, should she decide to keep it.

I'm waiting to hear back from her as to her preferences on bar tape or housing colors so I can have it ready for her when she arrives in less than three weeks... Bars will not be wrapped until she decides where she wants the brake levers positioned, but at least I'll have the right color tape on hand...

Gold? Pink?
“Should she decide to keep it”? If not, she’d win a trip through the noogie machine, if she were one of my nieces. 😁😉

Niece-type people almost always want pink or purple. 🙄
Old 06-28-20, 01:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Most certainly the radial tires have value to someone restoring to original spec a 610 or 1000. I the 85 1000 I have had original wheels I would be contacting you, but nope, original wheels are not, but the rest of the bike is all original. On display in my permanent collection.
Old 06-28-20, 05:17 PM
Cougrrcj

“Should she decide to keep it”? If not, she’d win a trip through the noogie machine, if she were one of my nieces. 😁😉

Niece-type people almost always want pink or purple. 🙄
She's already a knuckle-head But hey, at least she likes bikes.

She has a MTB (and a dirt-bike motorcycle) already - she was looking for a road bike/touring bike. Her b/f is a tour guide on off-road MTB/motorcycles and other ATVs. She and her b/f are outdoorsy types that work for the Forest Service in Idaho. I figured a classic Touring bike with a triple front would be more what she would need vs a traditional 'road' bike, given the typical Idaho mountainous terrain....

I got a response and she is leaning towards basic black housing/tape... < yawn > BORING! I'm trying to convince her to make her bike 'pop' with a unique tape/housing color, which is why I suggested the pink or gold,.. We'll see...
Old 06-28-20, 09:49 PM
polymorphself 

She's already a knuckle-head But hey, at least she likes bikes.

She has a MTB (and a dirt-bike motorcycle) already - she was looking for a road bike/touring bike. Her b/f is a tour guide on off-road MTB/motorcycles and other ATVs. She and her b/f are outdoorsy types that work for the Forest Service in Idaho. I figured a classic Touring bike with a triple front would be more what she would need vs a traditional 'road' bike, given the typical Idaho mountainous terrain....

I got a response and she is leaning towards basic black housing/tape... < yawn > BORING! I'm trying to convince her to make her bike 'pop' with a unique tape/housing color, which is why I suggested the pink or gold,.. We'll see...
pink or gold would be fun, a shade of darker brown would really suit it I think. Cloth or no?
Old 06-29-20, 05:12 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Sweet bike!

Well sir, how much will you give me for them? 🤔 Just kidding, shipping usually kills these kinda deals. 😉

I walked all over downtown Sacramento today, and finally scored some 27” x 1 1/4” Armadilloes, new tubes, more marijuana, and some carne asada fries. 😍😁

The tires were overpriced I felt, but I also realized fully, that it was lucky to find them, at any price, with this lockdown picking up momentum again. 🙄 At least I can hit the road again now, or at least after installing the tires. 😎

Old 06-29-20, 06:39 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by polymorphself
pink or gold would be fun, a shade of darker brown would really suit it I think. Cloth or no?
After neces input and other reflection, I'm gonna go with bright gold road lined bike brake housing from Porkchopz and black gel/foam bar tape that I already have in stock. Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the short rear derailleur loop housing... any ideas? Indexed shift-friendly stuff is new to me... Smoothed stainless shift inner cables will be used (already in stock).
Old 06-29-20, 08:38 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I got some Specialized Armadillo All Conditions tires today, with new tubes, all in 27” x 1 1/4”. These were more spendy than I was after, but might be worth it. 🤔 I was glad to get anything decent in a 27” tire, so these ain’t too bad. 😎

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.