Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

should i buy a used carbon or new aluminum bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-07-15, 05:48 PM
papamullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi,

i'm looking to buy my first road bike. i have about $700-800 saved. some friends are telling me i should buy a new aluminum frame bike, but others are saying i should get a used carbon frame. wanted to see what advice you'd give me. thanks for your help.
Old 05-07-15, 05:56 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i'd recommend a late-model used or new aluminum.
Old 05-07-15, 05:59 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Used or new steel.
Old 05-07-15, 06:18 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Seven of eight hundred dollars is just a couple hundred dollars above what now goes for an entry level new bike at a bike store these days. If you choose wisely that amount of money can get a much better used bike.

The one problem I see with buying a used carbon frame is that you will have no idea how it was treated by the previous owner unless you know that person well. Is there hidden damage to the frame? You probably are not going to be able to detect it. Carbon frames fail catastrophically - which means you generally don't get much of a warning when they break. Aluminum frames a little less so. The safest used bike is one with a high quality steel frame. They rarely break and when they do most times the don't break catastrophically so you get some warning. I bought quite a few bikes including two aluminum framed mountain bikes that I still own. Never had a problem with either one of them. They are both fine quality bikes. In fact I have never had a frame failure and most people have the same experience. I also never considered buying a used carbon frame. From looking at my local CL,most sellers of very expensive (custom fitted) carbon frame bikes try to get back way too much of what they paid for it even though it wasn't fitted specifically to the second owner and carries NO warranty to subsequent owners.
Old 05-07-15, 08:33 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I'd not recommend a used CF bike to my family and friends, for all the reasons VegasT mentioned.
Old 05-07-15, 09:04 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
The general forum seems like a good place to ask this question, but it is not. Carbon is widely feared here. If you have a friend who knows a bit about bikes, you can get a very nice used CF bike for $800. It will be much nicer than a new aluminum for a similar price. But you do wanna make sure you don't buy a headache, so have a knowledgeable friend help you out.

There has been a LOT of fearmongering misinformation dispensed here in this thread. I would not pay much attention to any of it.

Last edited by rebel1916; 05-07-15 at 09:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-07-15, 09:39 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Your best bet in that price range, would be a used aluminum bike. You can get a really nice, high-quality AL bike for that. Keep you eyes open for used Kleins, if there are any in your area- an old $700-$800 Klein is as good as virtually anything on the road today. Cannondale CAAD10 is also one to keep your eyes open for.
Old 05-08-15, 12:30 AM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say worry less about the material than personal ride quality. Test drive as many as you can and see which one is most comfortable for you.
Old 05-08-15, 08:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A 1st owner has a frame warrantee from a Major bike shop brand, a year on the components , (except Tires and Tubes)
Old 05-08-15, 08:05 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
The general forum seems like a good place to ask this question, but it is not.
Go ask in the road forum, where plenty of riders who are very comfortable on carbon still express concerns over a bike with unknown history. Was the bike crashed? Is there hidden damage that could cause an issue in the future? No one knows.
Old 05-08-15, 08:23 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would be hesitant about used carbon, but would probably not write it off completely. The reason is that metal frames, of any material, have telltale signs that can be found to indicate accidents etc.

I would actively explore both new and used bikes to see what pops up as the best option for you. Don't dismiss used steel or aluminum bikes. If in good shape, a used bike of any frame material can be a good buy.

One significant thing you give up with a nice used bike is the warranty, so consider that in your choice. If the bike is lightly used and/or well maintained, you can definitely get a better bike used, it will however cost you time as well.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-08-15, 08:30 AM
elmore leonard

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Find a nice older bike with a chromoly frame with aluminum wheels.
Old 05-08-15, 09:07 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HauntedMyst
I'd say worry less about the material than personal ride quality. Test drive as many as you can and see which one is most comfortable for you.
Exactly. Carbon may be "in"- but just like any other frame material, the quality and geometry of various bikes can run the gamut. Low-end carbon can really suck. High-end aluminum can be awesome (My aluminum Klein rides better than many carbon bikes). And the quality and ride characteristics even when comparing two carbon bikes to each other, or two aluminum bikes to each other, can be all over the map. Good frames can be made out of many different materials. Used and under a grand, the best deals are probably on high-quality older aluminum bikes. On the other hand, one doesn't want a poor quality bike- whether it is aluminum or carbon!
Old 05-08-15, 09:15 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Go ask in the road forum, where plenty of riders who are very comfortable on carbon still express concerns over a bike with unknown history. Was the bike crashed? Is there hidden damage that could cause an issue in the future? No one knows.
Yeah, I bought a used carbon bike- and while it was in pristine condition, one has to realize that issues can crop-up at any time and be expensive to fix. On mine, just the other day, after having not put 1000 miles on the bike yet, I've developed an issue with the carbon crank- which I'm hoping I can fix on the cheap...but which may require replacement of the crankset- a $250 item. (I think I'm going to fix it; and then sell the bike, and replace it with a good old vintage steel Eye-talian bike!).

And it's not like the fancy carbon bike does anything that my old aluminum bike doesn't. It's just bling- and one pays a high price for it, both financially and in durability/longevity. (Never had an issue with the 18 year-old crankset on my Klein!).

...and with lower-end carbon, you don't even get the bling....all you get is the right to say "Lookit me! I have a carbon bike!".
Old 05-08-15, 02:53 PM
papamullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for your thoughts. keep them coming!!! giving me a lot to think about.
Old 05-08-15, 03:21 PM
BrockLee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MY advice is this; Avoid those hideous drop bars and get something with flat bars. And avoid cycling clothing in general.
Originally Posted by papamullet
...wanted to see what advice you'd give me.
Old 05-08-15, 05:59 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by papamullet
thanks for your thoughts. keep them coming!!! giving me a lot to think about.
Not quite in the same position as you, but sorta close. Experienced rider but just back into the game after 20 years away, and a lot has changed. I recently bought a nice year or two old Cannondale Synapse with the Tiagra group for about $700. Also resurrected and "restored" my much ridden back in the day 34 y/o steel frame Fuji. Beyond other better, the difference in ride and handling is night and day. Fuji rides like an old pick-up truck. Gonna nostalgia keep it, but I'll never consider another steel frame for road. I would like a good, higher end carbon frame and may eventually buy one once I'm back in the groove but if I go get one I'll buy it new. So, my considered advice is stick with a good Al framed bike for first step into water.
Old 05-11-15, 06:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
A 1st owner has a frame warrantee from a Major bike shop brand, a year on the components , (except Tires and Tubes)
This right here is the best argument to get a new aluminium frame bike. Used anything may have hidden damage that you could be stuck with.
Old 05-11-15, 08:05 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
This right here is the best argument to get a new aluminium frame bike. Used anything may have hidden damage that you could be stuck with.
That is a facetious argument. You're saying to spend at least $1000 more, just on the off chance that there will be hidden damage. I've never heard of anyone buying a used aluminum frame with hidden damage in my entire life of 50+ years. Any after-the-fact damage to aluminum is going to be quite visible; any hidden damage- like a defect in material or workmanship, would have manifested itself already on a used frame. Not an issue, IMO.

Now on a used carbon frame.....the risk is a little higher- but even there, if there are no visible defects, you're still 99.5% safe.

And worse case scenario: Lets say you pay $900 for a nice used bike- CF or AL. vs. $3K for a new one of similar quality. Even if the frame were to fall apart the minute you get it, you can still take aqll the components from that bike; buy another used frame for $200-$300, plop-on the components, and still have a good bike for a total expenditure of $1100 or less- still saving $2000 over new.

Just for trivia: I'd be curious to know how many new aluminum frames are exchanged because of warranted defects. I'd bet almost none.
Old 05-11-15, 08:35 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought many carbon bikes off Ebay and never had a single problem with them. I would only worry about a bike if I saw actual damage to it. I'd pass then, but I'd pass any bike if it had damage to the frame. Depending on the bike, a good aluminum frame bike can be very nice as well, but I think there, you have to spend some money to get a decent riding bike. Carbon you can get a nice ride on entry level money. Especially if you go used.
Old 05-11-15, 08:53 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting question. i don't know the answer but interested to hear what the consensus is.

seems like new aluminum so far?
Old 05-11-15, 10:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
That is a facetious argument. You're saying to spend at least $1000 more, just on the off chance that there will be hidden damage. I've never heard of anyone buying a used aluminum frame with hidden damage in my entire life of 50+ years. Any after-the-fact damage to aluminum is going to be quite visible; any hidden damage- like a defect in material or workmanship, would have manifested itself already on a used frame. Not an issue, IMO.

Now on a used carbon frame.....the risk is a little higher- but even there, if there are no visible defects, you're still 99.5% safe.

And worse case scenario: Lets say you pay $900 for a nice used bike- CF or AL. vs. $3K for a new one of similar quality. Even if the frame were to fall apart the minute you get it, you can still take aqll the components from that bike; buy another used frame for $200-$300, plop-on the components, and still have a good bike for a total expenditure of $1100 or less- still saving $2000 over new.

Just for trivia: I'd be curious to know how many new aluminum frames are exchanged because of warranted defects. I'd bet almost none.
stucky

I think you are misreading what the OP said. He doesnt need to spend $1000 more than what he has. He can get a good serviceable aluminium frame bike with the money he has, and he will have a frame warrenty.
Old 05-11-15, 06:25 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
stucky

I think you are misreading what the OP said. He doesnt need to spend $1000 more than what he has. He can get a good serviceable aluminium frame bike with the money he has, and he will have a frame warrenty.
Yes, but the thing is: What you can used for what he wants to spend, will be of a much higher caliber than what he will get new for that same money. Not even in the same league. I faced the same decisions myself when I bought my bikes- and to me, it was a clear choice: Go with high-end used, rather than entry-level new. So, both of my bikes are used- 1 aluminum; and one carbon. If I had bought new for the same money, I would have already out-grown the entry-level bikes I would have gotten, and would have sold them, to get better bikes, and lost more in the transaction than the value of any warranty. I mean really, if I had bought 2 new bikes for the total of $2500 I have invested in my two used bikes, what would I have gotten?
Old 05-11-15, 07:01 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Last weekend at the local bike shop bike swap events, saw some nice Al road bikes priced around $500, if I had been in the market for a road bike - would have scooped up one. Al road frames got a bad rap as being hard riding, some may have been - most were a decent ride value. Al or C, make sure the frame fits you well.
Old 05-11-15, 07:41 PM
marimorimo

Bikes: Pinarello Razha 2015, Trek FX 7.4 WSD 2015

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A n00b here so take this with a grain of salt. Take note that component quality also differs depending on year. For example, my hubby's 2008 Trek 2.3 has Shimano 105 shifters, crank & chainset, front derailleur and Ultegra rear derailleur. My recently-bought Pinarello Razha has all-105 components except for the el cheapo Shimano chainset/cranks. On paper, hubby's bike is better-specced in terms of components but my bike performs better by leaps and bounds compared to his. The new 105 shifts incredibly smooth compared to his mixed 105 & Ultegra setup. It's not even a contest.

It's not a problem of his bike having suffered major wear and tear as he has hardly ridden it until we started cycling this year, and had it overhauled at a competent bike shop before riding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.