Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What have you found on the road lately?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 03:39 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pocket Knife for me! Riding up a busy street seeing a gleam in the morning sun. Found a CRKT 3" lock blade. But the tip was busted off like some one use it to pry on something that won. Took it to work reshaped the point sharpened the new blade and ta da 2" blade now!
V
Old 05-18-15, 04:22 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
iPhone and kitchen knife within 20 feet of each other last Friday
Old 05-18-15, 04:29 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2014 BMW 325i. doors were unlocked. what luck!
Old 05-18-15, 04:55 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I found a newish green bandana last week. I'm sure I can find a use for it.
Old 05-18-15, 04:55 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two ran over snakes and a crow flattened with couch cushions on the side of the road.
Old 05-18-15, 05:31 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
All my years of running, and now cycling I've never found anything on the road. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
Old 05-18-15, 06:23 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cash. a couple of 1's here and there, and two 20's.
Old 05-18-15, 06:40 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Here in Tokyo I find a lot of bikes. People often buy nice bikes which they seldom ride, and when they move to a new place they don't want to pay to ship the bike, so they simply park it on the sidewalk next to the road. I have found three folders, two Dahons and a Peugeot, and a mid-level GT mountain bike. And these were in my neighbourhood alone. Throughout the 23 wards were there are millions of people, and, literally, millions of bikes, you can find just about anything.
Old 05-18-15, 07:19 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tools, mostly. I have found a ball-peen hammer, a 1/2" combination wrench, two pairs of channel lock pliers, two pairs of lineman's pliers, a pair of needle nosed pliers with a (obviously malfunctioning) belt hook, and a kitchen knife. I also once found a rubber battery tie-down strap that was a perfect fit for the Kawasaki 750 twin I was restoring. I usually pick them up just to get them out of the road.

Oh, this is over probably twenty or so years of riding.
Old 05-18-15, 07:29 PM
marimorimo

Bikes: Pinarello Razha 2015, Trek FX 7.4 WSD 2015

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
Here in Tokyo I find a lot of bikes. People often buy nice bikes which they seldom ride, and when they move to a new place they don't want to pay to ship the bike, so they simply park it on the sidewalk next to the road. I have found three folders, two Dahons and a Peugeot, and a mid-level GT mountain bike. And these were in my neighbourhood alone. Throughout the 23 wards were there are millions of people, and, literally, millions of bikes, you can find just about anything.
I work in Tokyo, but I haven't really looked into the bikes on the street...I mean, how can you be sure the bikes have been abandoned? The owners may just have left them there with the intent to come back later. Now at my apartment complex there are a couple of cheap bikes that have been abandoned but I know for sure because they have been left that way for months on end.
Old 05-18-15, 07:52 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by marimorimo
I work in Tokyo, but I haven't really looked into the bikes on the street...I mean, how can you be sure the bikes have been abandoned? The owners may just have left them there with the intent to come back later. Now at my apartment complex there are a couple of cheap bikes that have been abandoned but I know for sure because they have been left that way for months on end.
The bikes along the streets are often there for months too, until the tires go flat, and the chains rust tight. The city doesn't often impound obviously abandoned bikes, they usually target bikes which they know are used, so they can collect the 3000 to 5000 yen impound fee, rather than having to pay a disposal fee.
Old 05-18-15, 08:45 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
$21 cash.
Old 05-18-15, 08:54 PM
marimorimo

Bikes: Pinarello Razha 2015, Trek FX 7.4 WSD 2015

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
The bikes along the streets are often there for months too, until the tires go flat, and the chains rust tight. The city doesn't often impound obviously abandoned bikes, they usually target bikes which they know are used, so they can collect the 3000 to 5000 yen impound fee, rather than having to pay a disposal fee.
Oh I see. Darn I wish I could find an abandoned Dahon. I could use a folder.
Old 05-18-15, 11:38 PM
AlldayAdam
Commuting Beast

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't found anything cool, wish id find a winning lottery ticket
Old 05-19-15, 12:11 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Still waiting to find 1,000,000 yen. Nothing but trash, gloves, and a huge dead ferret so far.
Old 05-19-15, 05:28 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
I found someone's license and a dealer's plate. The license I put in an envelope and mailed it back to the address on it. The dealer's plate I am going to bring to the department of motor vehicles. Two bungee cords, the first one I picked up the second one left there as I did not want another one.
Old 05-19-15, 06:03 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
So far this year, just a nice Pearl Izumi white windbreaker.

The big find last year was a pair of new Bose Quietcomfort 15 headphones, they're $300 new. Worked fine. I didn't like them and gave them away. I've found a lot of tools, several hats, a sweatshirt, a few T shirts.
Old 05-19-15, 06:43 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found a bunch of stuff, but I never pick anything up. My commute is few miles on country roads and few miles on city roads. the most stuff I find on the country roads, lots of bungee cords, some wrenches, and screw drivers, and even a machete in its casing which I didn't pick up because I don't want to ride into the city carrying a machete in my bikes. I often ride by lots of cop cars. Beside I was afraid that machete had been use for something bad and just throwed out there, I just didn't want to find out.
I do keep my eyes open for $100 bills, I would pick these up in a heart beat. Other stuff I am not too excited about it.
Old 05-19-15, 06:48 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I found a Citizen Titanium Eco Drive watch. Though, I put an ad on Craigslist in the lost and found and plastered the area with posters to try to find the owner but it didn't work. I also found $180 blowing down the road, no owner to be found. I also found $100 in a bank envelope but I saw someone further up on the road looking on the ground, so I knew they lost something. We had a chat and I returned it to them. Also found a cell phone and had it returned to the owner in twenty minutes. Found a purse once, and returned it to her. Found a wallet with a ton a cash and credit cards, tracked down the owners wife and returned within an hour. I have found vise grips and a framing hammer. Found a pair of cycling gloves full fingered, and a Sugoi skull cap.

Anything I found I try to find the owner because I know one fact and that is, it isn't mine. Second I have never taken a reward for returning something, that is just plane wrong. You shouldn't have to pay for honesty.
Old 05-19-15, 07:29 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I found a phillips head screw driver yesterday. I know, not really impressive.

I found a wallet last month; put it in a ziploc bag and dropped it in a mailbox. I was on a brevet and didn't have the time to deal with it better. The last time I found a wallet before that I was out on a century, in no particular hurry. I recognized the guy's address, was able to drop it off at his house with only a five mile detour.

I couldn't list all the stuff I've found over the years... cash, sunglasses, an ipod (still playing when I picked it up), tools, and just totally bizarre stuff. My wife found a squid once, but didn't pick it up.
Old 05-19-15, 08:03 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've found wallets twice. Certainly if there's any hope of identifying the owner, I'd do it, but it's just not worth it for screwdrivers and wrenches, and probably not for those headphones either.

The wallets I just dropped by the police station on my way by.
Old 05-19-15, 08:08 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nothing worth stopping for lately

The last thing I found a few months ago was a cell phone. Luckily no lock on it, was able to track the owner down, she took a few days to get back to me but I was able to return it. Apparently her and her boyfriend were robbed of their wallets and phones at gun point, so she might have been apprehensive when I first contacted her.
Old 05-19-15, 08:42 AM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
. . . My wife found a squid once, but didn't pick it up.
There has got to be an interesting back story to that one.

As for me, I haven't come across anything for which it was worth stopping. I was on the other end last year when I needed to bring in a new bar of soap. It was in an open pocket of my trunk bag (so as not to impart its fragrance onto my lunch), and must have bounced out (probably when I went over the bridge - kind of bumpy there). If that wasn't bad enough, I had it wrapped in a Head Sweats "do rag". Hopefully someone found it and got good use out of it.
Old 05-19-15, 08:53 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
There has got to be an interesting back story to that one.

I know, right?

I don't have the backstory, but I can elaborate on the anecdote a little bit.

This was in West Philadelphia about 20 years ago. She was riding an old Rudge three speed home from work one Friday afternoon and saw the squid on the side of the road. She knows enough about sea creatures to know a squid when she sees one.

We were having a couple people over for dinner that evening, and one of them, who lived near us, mentioned seeing the same squid. Or at least we assumed it was the same one; no way to be sure. We all laughed about that.
Old 05-19-15, 09:23 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
my kid and i found some mussels and starfish riding along the waterfront on a few trips, and we stopped to put them back in the water.

i once found $10.

for some reason, i regularly find tennis balls and warm hats. the hats go in the freezer for 2 weeks, then they get washed and my kid uses them... this works out well, since his hats tend to migrate to his mom's house and then get lost.

misc clothes, which i often grab and then donate to an op-shop.

lots of other stuff, but nothing exciting.

last weekend i went for a walk and found a bus-pass with about $10 credit.

when i'm walking, i also make a habit of picking up cans and bottles, and bringing them home to the recycle bin. i usually carry plastic shopping bags for that purpose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.