Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Randonneur...aero levers??

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-18-18, 07:33 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I picked up a all original bianchi radonneur recently. It is all original including both racks. It has some junky fenders on it. I plan on getting some planet bike stainless fender stays and hardware which will stiffen then up alot and make them great. The original diacompe levers have melted off and need to be replaced. Rather than getting the cane creek hoods i am thinking of putting a set of tektro rl340s on it. The original look will change if i move to aero levers but they are SO much more comfortable than those old hand hatchets. I have never been able to get use to the old style diacompe hoods. I suppose the answer is just do whatever is comfortable and ride it

THE decals on the bike are pretty rough but the paint is pretty darn good. Neat old Rando bike. IT is almost identical to the Schwinn Voyager S/P of that same era. I believe this is a 1983. Interesting to see a bianchi of that era with cantis. IT has the same diacompe cantis as the miyata 600. They have that spring that fits behind the special nut on each pad holder. I have koolstops and new 27 1/4 paselas on order. IT does have a front and rear suntour mountech mechs. I am going to run them to see how i like them. I think they are either hit or miss. Mostly miss from what i have read.

One thing i thought was strange is it is marked Ishwata 022 on the frame tubes and the fork. When i pulled the fork to clean and repack things, i noticed the steer tube was stamped Tange. Arent they completely different companies/tubing types?

Last edited by scale; 08-18-18 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 10:44 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
No replies yet. I think you are going to have to post a picture to get members going. I would think that the frame was built with the Ishiwata tubing and the fork was purchased from Tange in order to speed building the bikes.

I would love to see a picture of it.
Old 08-19-18, 12:39 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I suppose the answer is just do whatever is comfortable and ride it
Yes, Yes you should, I just did the same for my Nishiki build. Save the original stuff but build it to be comfortable to ride, as in my experience uncomfortable bikes don't get ridden YMMV

IMG_3135 by Ryan Surface, on Flickr
Old 08-19-18, 03:31 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Replace the old brakes and levers - if you're not comfortable you won't ride it - and you will have more stopping power. I put Tektro 559s on a bike - the hoods are comfy and braking is good.

.....almost sunrise - time to go for a ride!
Old 08-19-18, 05:20 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'm a firm believer in modifying a bicycle to make it more enjoyable for the owner, so that it will be ridden more often. However, having said that, I don't do anything that's irreversible and always keep the old components so that it can be returned to OEM spec for when it eventually moves to the next owner. A completely OEM bicycle almost invariably nets a higher resale value.

While different brands of steel tubing for the forks and frame was atypical for the era, it's not unknown. In this case, the frame was made by Bianchi's Japanese source and the forks were likely sub-contracted to Tange, who had a large and efficient (read. inexpensive) fork assembly operation.

The Bianchi Randonneur that surface are typically Japanese manufactured models, circa 1983-1984. The 1984 model was spec'd with SunTour MounTech, while the 1983 version was spec'd with Sun Tour ARx, so the subject bicycle should be a 1984 model. However, the serial number will indicate the exact frame manufacture date and confirm the year.

The MounTech was a very good performing wide range rear derailleur. The problem was that they suffered from premature failure of the seal for the pivot at the jockey pulley. However, this was more of an issue in off-road applications, on early ATBs. They have a much better survival rate on touring bicycles.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-19-18 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 05:37 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
I purposely chose aero levers for my early eighties Bianchi Touring. Glad I did not as they are, for me, very comfortable and easy to pull. I can live with the appearance since appearance, on my Bianchi is of no importance. I built this one to be as comfortable to ride and as easy to use as I could...
Old 08-19-18, 05:57 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,488 Posts
There is nothing wrong with changing things to make a bike better suite your personality and riding style. As much as we like to think our bikes are only valuable when left original fact is few bikes increase in value dispite original equipment or even NOS status.

While Bianchi owners love the Volpe for its versatility I thought making my Sizzling Peach '86 mine would make it a much better and more enjoyable ride. Almost everything is change except the seatpost and cantilever brakes and I may upgrade those next summer but I may have to change brake levers yet again to do that.

This is a seller's pic the Volpe stock as far as I can tell.

This is cleaned up and in service. Great rider but not quite right.

Added shorty fenders and skinwalls getting there.

I don't know if this is the final version but as you can see it is very different from how I got it.

Upgraded RD and crankset and swapped shorties for full Celeste fenders and rack.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-19-18, 09:08 AM
scale

oh...that is one nice Velope. I am still kicking myself for passing up a frameset in my size last winter at a swap. The frame seemed quite heavy and i was $10 short. The buyer wouldnt come down so i had to waik away. The heaveiness is kind of pointless as these are touring frames and i bet they ride great.

TMAR....i am probably going to switch out the rear mech on my bianchi from the Mountech to an ARx i have laying here. I figure that one is probablly less prone to failure.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 08-19-18, 09:14 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I recently picked up this '78 Peugeot. It had some kind of Dia Compe brake levers along the top of the handlebar. Being a "riding on the hoods guy", I had some old Campy aero levers laying around, so I put them on. I'm debating switching to bar end shifters, so I haven't re-taped the bars. It made a great improvement for me. I had these on my '64 Legnano years ago, but Eroica used to require top exit cables, so I put the original Universal levers back and took off the Campy Aeros. Aero levers are now allowed in Eroica. Go figure.
Old 08-19-18, 10:01 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 74 Posts
I’ve mentioned this before, but I found the original levers are comfortable if they are moved up on the bars a bit.

Old 08-19-18, 10:06 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Two thoughts...

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
There is nothing wrong with changing things to make a bike better suite your personality and riding style. As much as we like to think our bikes are only valuable when left original fact is few bikes increase in value dispite original equipment or even NOS status.

While Bianchi owners love the Volpe for its versatility I thought making my Sizzling Peach '86 mine would make it a much better and more enjoyable ride. Almost everything is change except the seatpost and cantilever brakes and I may upgrade those next summer but I may have to change brake levers yet again to do that.

I think you'll be shocked at how heavy that SP-KC seatpost is compared to something even a few years newer. I reluctantly swapped out the SP-KC with an XC Pro and was really really surprised by the weight difference.

2nd thought...

​​​​​​​HYDRATION!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-19-18, 12:50 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Two thoughts...
I think you'll be shocked at how heavy that SP-KC seatpost is compared to something even a few years newer. I reluctantly swapped out the SP-KC with an XC Pro and was really really surprised by the weight difference.

2nd thought... HYDRATION!!!
But the Sp-KC post is so cool

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-19-18, 06:33 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 345 Posts
I picked up a all original bianchi radonneur recently. It is all original including both racks. It has some junky fenders on it. I plan on getting some planet bike stainless fender stays and hardware which will stiffen then up alot and make them great. The original diacompe levers have melted off and need to be replaced. Rather than getting the cane creek hoods i am thinking of putting a set of tektro rl340s on it. The original look will change if i move to aero levers but they are SO much more comfortable than those old hand hatchets. I have never been able to get use to the old style diacompe hoods. I suppose the answer is just do whatever is comfortable and ride it

THE decals on the bike are pretty rough but the paint is pretty darn good. Neat old Rando bike. IT is almost identical to the Schwinn Voyager S/P of that same era. I believe this is a 1983. Interesting to see a bianchi of that era with cantis. IT has the same diacompe cantis as the miyata 600. They have that spring that fits behind the special nut on each pad holder. I have koolstops and new 27 1/4 paselas on order. IT does have a front and rear suntour mountech mechs. I am going to run them to see how i like them. I think they are either hit or miss. Mostly miss from what i have read.

One thing i thought was strange is it is marked Ishwata 022 on the frame tubes and the fork. When i pulled the fork to clean and repack things, i noticed the steer tube was stamped Tange. Arent they completely different companies/tubing types?
I just picked up a Randonneur as well--pearlescent white paint and in generally very good shape, though dirty. I probably won't get to it cleaning it up until this winter. Mine has an Ishiwata Magny sticker, which I am guessing makes it later than yours by a year or two--I'll have to check the serial number against T-Mar's data base one of these days.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 08-19-18, 07:45 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
But the Sp-KC post is so cool
Hence the "reluctantly."

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-19-18, 07:50 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Here's a question- in a "tube set," is the steerer always a part of the tube set? The fork blade sticker is usually declaring the "fork blades" are of the make and composition of the declared metal. In reality- the steerer is a separate component- it's not a fork blade, stay or frame tube.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 08-19-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-04-19, 07:53 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Seems to be an old post buy I just picked up an orange Volpe that looks exactly like the ones posted. .. It will be a touring bike for me . It was a local bike shop that had it in their basement. Love all the mounts and cantilever brakes. It has full racks also. I paid $350. Did I do ok?. I will post pics when I pick it up...
Old 04-05-19, 05:36 AM
scale

I would say so. Id love t find a Volpe in my size.
Old 04-05-19, 06:12 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Here's a question- in a "tube set," is the steerer always a part of the tube set? The fork blade sticker is usually declaring the "fork blades" are of the make and composition of the declared metal. In reality- the steerer is a separate component- it's not a fork blade, stay or frame tube.
Should be, but there are a lot of vintage “full “ 531 frames with seamed head tubes and lesser steerers.

A custom frame will almost always have top shelf frame parts, as the labor cost greatly exceeds material cost. Production frame mfgs look to save a few dollars here and there, which adds up quickly in volume.
Old 04-05-19, 08:02 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 280 Posts
Just a quick note that some Bianchi Randonneurs had a recall on the fork:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...934-story.html
Old 04-06-19, 08:32 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by rossiny
Seems to be an old post buy I just picked up an orange Volpe that looks exactly like the ones posted. .. It will be a touring bike for me . It was a local bike shop that had it in their basement. Love all the mounts and cantilever brakes. It has full racks also. I paid $350. Did I do ok?. I will post pics when I pick it up...

Orange? Or perhaps Sizzling Peach

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-08-19, 03:30 PM
rossiny

yes sizzling, will post a pic, picking up tommorow
Old 04-09-19, 08:25 PM
rossiny

Old 04-09-19, 08:26 PM
rossiny

Just picked up this Bianchi Volpe. Please tell me ok for a guys color. My girl saying looks like girls color???

Last edited by rossiny; 04-09-19 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 09:39 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 74 Posts
Of course that’s ok for a guy! And tell your girls to give up that sexist idea.

Seriously, that is a gorgeous bike. A standout.
Old 04-10-19, 04:14 PM
rossiny

Thanks. I am keeping and doing some touring..🤓🤞

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.