Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel weight for touring/commuter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-19, 09:23 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I am putting together a small trek 750 (17 inch). I have the wheelset all cleaned up and read to go back on. The Schwalbe Marathons (38c), rims (stock 36h matrix titans w/exage hubs), tubes and cassette weigh in at ~11lbs. Crazy. They are BEEFY.

I like the marathons because flats are a real bummer with full fenders etc.
I might trade them out for paselas but i am thinking this should work for now. I have ran this exact setup on another trek and when the bike was loaded it was super cushy and rode really well. I might try butterfly bars on this one or some kind of flat bar vs using drop bars. Chances are i will eventually switch over to drops. Not sure if i will go with bar end shifters or something else. Right now i still have the 7sp cassette. I think it is a 14/28t and with the triple in the front that is probably enough for me. I may have another 9sp cassette laying around that i may try but i dont really see the need.
Old 12-25-19, 11:23 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Your 7-speed hub won't accept a 9-speed cassette (or 8-speed either for that matter) so that isn't an option.
Old 12-25-19, 06:18 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I am putting together a small trek 750 (17 inch). I have the wheelset all cleaned up and read to go back on. The Schwalbe Marathons (38c), rims (stock 36h matrix titans w/exage hubs), tubes and cassette weigh in at ~11lbs. Crazy. They are BEEFY.

I like the marathons because flats are a real bummer with full fenders etc.
I might trade them out for paselas but i am thinking this should work for now. I have ran this exact setup on another trek and when the bike was loaded it was super cushy and rode really well. I might try butterfly bars on this one or some kind of flat bar vs using drop bars. Chances are i will eventually switch over to drops. Not sure if i will go with bar end shifters or something else. Right now i still have the 7sp cassette. I think it is a 14/28t and with the triple in the front that is probably enough for me. I may have another 9sp cassette laying around that i may try but i dont really see the need.
If it's a 14-28, it's probably a Free Wheel, Not Cassette-
Freewheel or Cassette?
Old 12-25-19, 08:13 PM
scale

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
If it's a 14-28, it's probably a Free Wheel, Not Cassette-
Freewheel or Cassette?
Nope.
Old 12-26-19, 09:00 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Good luck with your project.

As far as wheel weight is concerned, The most noticeable change vs a lighter wheel is accelerating, where the wheels weight works like a flywheel. That 2 - 3% more work is only lost when applying the brakes and aids coasting.

Even the total weight difference has a very small overal effect. Important if your racing where a few seconds can mean the difference between 2'nd and 5'th place. Not so much for the average comuter.

Good quality properly inflated tires with supple sidewalls, appropriate tread and compound will go a long way toward providing the best ride/performance ballance. Those Schwalbe tires look like a good choice to me too. I might replace the stock Kenda tires that came with my comfort bike with them when they wear out.

Although those Kenda K892's are an inexpensive tire, They perform WAY better than they have any right too for the recreational cyclist. I've had good luck avoiding flats too.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 12-26-19 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-28-19, 03:08 PM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
On a touring bike wheel weight is not important., durability is.