Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Lightweight trailer with good road manners, does it exist?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 03:36 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I'm considering putting a trailer behind a brevet bike and taking a few simple trips before doing longer tours. I will only need to carry about 25 lbs. What trailer should I consider?
Old 09-20-09, 04:28 PM
positron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have not used it, but I hear the best reviews about the extrawheel trailers. They also have some impressive videos of them in use. Definitely worth checking out.
Old 09-20-09, 04:53 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Probably the 'BOB' style of trailer. I've toured with friends who used them and they seemed to track and handle fine. But for carrying 25 lbs or less I'd question the need for a trailer as opposed to bags on the bike. The trailer itself will add around 10 lbs compared to a simple rack/bags which is a considerable penalty for such a small total load.
Old 09-20-09, 06:24 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
For 25 lbs, I'd just get a rack, a big trunk bag, and a handlebar bag or a small front rack & bag.
Old 09-20-09, 06:36 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
For 25 lbs, I'd just get a rack, a big trunk bag, and a handlebar bag or a small front rack & bag.
BINGO!
a trailer is at least 10lbs... extra
plus a 3rd wheel
Old 09-20-09, 06:44 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

...And racks & panniers don't add weight?
Old 09-20-09, 08:10 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
After pulling grandchildren around, I'd much rather carry 25#, than pull it. Also consider the added wind resistance with the trailer, while it isn't that bad when it's already tight to your bulk.
Old 09-20-09, 08:11 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Also consider the added wind resistance with the trailer, while it isn't that bad when it's already tight to your bulk.
Certainly no worse than parachutes....err...panniers.
Old 09-20-09, 08:49 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

My bike would require a new fork to properly carry 25 lbs, my existing CF fork lacks eyelets. I've used a rear rack & hard-case pannier to carry 20 lbs, but the handling was bad enough to take the fun out of riding. If I had a proper touring frame, with a correct fork and longer chainstays, panniers would be better.
Old 09-20-09, 08:52 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Panniers are much more wind friendly, than trailers.

But, also consider that I was used to hauling 50# of newspapers on the handlebars, when I was a kid.... LOL
Old 09-20-09, 09:20 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
...And racks & panniers don't add weight?
My rack and panniers weigh 4 pounds total. The BOB I saw weighed 14 pounds. Therefore I wrote that the trailer would weigh about 10 extra pounds. Eyelets aren't really necessary for adding a rack (either front or back) although they do make it more convenient.

I'm surprised you saw so much handling degradation with a rear rack and bags. I've done bike camping with a criterium-geometry bike (i.e. very short chainstays) using a rear rack and the handling was fine - I did have to be careful about the pannier positioning and loading to avoid heel strikes. Was your rear rack sufficiently sturdy? I've seen some that sway considerably and affect the handling.

Depending on how bulky the load is another option might be a large saddlebag. I've used my Carradice Camper for similar loads. It does require a certain minimum clearance above the rear tire though.

Last edited by prathmann; 09-20-09 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-20-09, 09:22 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Love my Burley Flatbed. It's not very heavy and has all sorts of utility uses outside of touring.
Old 09-20-09, 09:41 PM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your brevet bike? I have commuted with an old touring bike and a surly pacer, which is my brevet bike. The pacer has eyelets at the forks, but nothing on the chain stays. With a cheap rack bolted to the eyelets and p-clips on the chain stays, that bike felt fine. It has less flex and felt better with about 20 lbs than the old kind of crappy touring bike. With 41.5cm stays, I rarely have any issues with heel strike - size 9 shoes and generic racks with full size panniers.
My trailer is two wheels and more like 25 lbs, but I'd definitely go for a rack on the brevet bike over trailer. No question.
Old 09-20-09, 09:51 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
My rack and panniers weigh 4 pounds total. The BOB I saw weighed 14 pounds.
bingo!
i pulled a BOB for a year and a half straight
i loved it
i thought it was the end all to end all's

then i discovered panniers

i liked my BOB so much, i went thru 2 of them... an Ibex was the last one, for dirt tours...
the best thing about the trailer is that it comes off

i sold both trailers

and kept the dry sacks...

i use them for my big dummy

my last tour was Astoria to Ventura, Ca.
i used bags from Carousel Design Works
www.CarouselDesignWorks.com
no racks needed...
depends on when and where you are touring
amenities, etc...
Old 09-20-09, 09:59 PM
Skjellyfetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to this guy's chart... Xtracycle is the most lightweight option:

https://viksbigdummy.blogspot.com/200...omparison.html

https://www.xtracycle.com/welcome/

This pic is really tempting me to go the Xtracycle route:
Old 09-20-09, 10:09 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
^^^
Vic posts in Utility a good bit. Good man, knows what he's talking about.
I don't know that my Xtra is any lighter than a Flat Bed.
Old 09-20-09, 10:56 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i think Dirt Rag did a review on The Big Dummy coming in at 39lbs.
it easily carries 3 BOB trailers

i love my dummy, but I've pretty much resign it to cargo duty, altho I have used it for touring... its massive
Old 09-21-09, 07:44 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Did I ever say I was looking to buy a new bike?
Old 09-21-09, 08:14 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
You might find this site useful: https://biketrailerblog.com/

It has lots of info about bike trailers and may answer your needs.

Ray
Old 09-21-09, 11:23 AM
john bono

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bike would require a new fork to properly carry 25 lbs, my existing CF fork lacks eyelets. I've used a rear rack & hard-case pannier to carry 20 lbs, but the handling was bad enough to take the fun out of riding. If I had a proper touring frame, with a correct fork and longer chainstays, panniers would be better.
I've done both(650 trailer miles and 500 pannier miles), and if you think handling with a set of rear panniers is bad, multiply that pain X2 for high speed handling, and X5 for slow speed handling and braking. Trailers tend to push lightweight riders downhill, and in the case of a bob, can actually jackknife, with disastrous results. I'm pretty heavy, and I felt the bob sway while carrying firewood. A lighter rider would have been in big trouble.

Trailers also make bike handling a royal pain. Imagine trying to maneuver your bike through sidewalks, etc carrying a 3' extension behind it. Also imagine trying to roll the bike backwards to park it, with that big articulating thing behind.(Hint, make the meep-meep sound semis make when they go into reverse).

Trailers are good when you need to carry a lot of stuff, like a self-supported tour. If you can fit your load into a set of rear panniers, though, that is far, far preferable to a trailer.
Old 09-21-09, 12:28 PM
Skjellyfetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I ever say I was looking to buy a new bike?
Did I ever say you should buy a new bike?

Hint: that's a LHT in the picture.
Old 09-21-09, 01:38 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
With a load of 25 pounds, there isn't a big difference between a cross and touring frame. 50+ pounds is another story....

Something like the Old Man Mountain Sherpa front rack, by the way, should work just fine on a CF fork. It runs through the front skewer and attaches to the brake bosses, so no eyelets or braze-ons required.

I'd also ditch the "hard case pannier," unless you're transporting fragile materials. A trunk bag will weigh a lot less.
Old 09-21-09, 07:39 PM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john bono
I've done both(650 trailer miles and 500 pannier miles), and if you think handling with a set of rear panniers is bad, multiply that pain X2 for high speed handling, and X5 for slow speed handling and braking. Trailers tend to push lightweight riders downhill, and in the case of a bob, can actually jackknife, with disastrous results. I'm pretty heavy, and I felt the bob sway while carrying firewood. A lighter rider would have been in big trouble.

Trailers also make bike handling a royal pain. Imagine trying to maneuver your bike through sidewalks, etc carrying a 3' extension behind it. Also imagine trying to roll the bike backwards to park it, with that big articulating thing behind.(Hint, make the meep-meep sound semis make when they go into reverse).

Trailers are good when you need to carry a lot of stuff, like a self-supported tour. If you can fit your load into a set of rear panniers, though, that is far, far preferable to a trailer.
The parts in red are true and I have to agree with them, but the rest is bunk. I've done at least 12,000 miles of loaded touring with a bob trailer and had no problems at all.

Having said that I see no reason for a trailer with only a 25 lbs load, just like he said. I also see no reason BOB or someone else couldn't make an ultra light trailer. They have sub-20lbs full bicycles, so I see no reason they can't make a sub-5lbs trailer. Of course I haven't seen that one yet, if someone makes one, I'll buy it. Trailers make so much sense.
Old 09-22-09, 11:19 AM
john bono

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gregw
The parts in red are true and I have to agree with them, but the rest is bunk. I've done at least 12,000 miles of loaded touring with a bob trailer and had no problems at all.

Having said that I see no reason for a trailer with only a 25 lbs load, just like he said. I also see no reason BOB or someone else couldn't make an ultra light trailer. They have sub-20lbs full bicycles, so I see no reason they can't make a sub-5lbs trailer. Of course I haven't seen that one yet, if someone makes one, I'll buy it. Trailers make so much sense.
I'm 300lbs, and I felt the BOB push my rear wheel off center on a descent. It wanted to push the bike sideways. Because of my weight, that didn't happen. However, others haven't been so lucky:

Background: bike was a hard-tail MTB with locked-out fork. Trailer was an older non-suspension bob, with the cotter-pin attachment (lame, but that's another story). When I first started using the BOB, whenever I picked up any speed downhill (>15mph or so) I would feel like the trailer was pushing me in slow "swoops." I was able to control it by gently slowing down. When I first tried the trailer, I hated that feeling so much that I almost got rid of it, but my ride partner suggested I should try to get used to it, so that's what I did. I'm not blaming him, it made sense, any loaded rig is going to feel different than an unloaded bike, and I had never done any touring before. I sort-of got used to it.

Aside: I borrowed the trailer, and had never read the owner's manual, so I wasn't aware of manufacturer's speed and load limits.

The accident: The trailer was more heavily loaded than usual, I would guess by about 10 pounds. I was descending a long graduate grade. Conditions: The road surface was good, new chipseal, no gravel, no potholes, no traffic, no wind, very hot. I had experienced some problems earlier in the day with swoopiness, but had controlled them. When the accident happened, I was going pretty fast (for me), probably about 25-30 mph). The swooping started, and I couldn't control it. Swoops got bigger and bigger 'wavelength.' I tried braking gently with both brakes. The last thing I remember is thinking "i'm going to crash" as the swooping got bigger and bigger, and I couldn't bring it under control.

Based on the damage to the bike and me, we figured the bike probably jackknifed, (front wheel violently moving to the side - broken brake lever) sending me over the bars in a "high side" (as in, you fly over the bars, rather than laying the bike down.)
Old 09-22-09, 01:32 PM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Not a Bob, but I've spent plenty of time over 25mph with a two-wheel trailer with 60 lb load. The only time it jacknifed was when it rolled off road down a 45 degree slope going slow. It has always been perfectly stable at 25-30mph on pavement.

I think that it would be pretty stupid to use much if any rear brake while turning with a heavy trailer load, though. After all, the trailer is then directly pushing the wheel sideways when traction is already at a premium and the front brake is unweighting the rear.

Just guessing, but the Bob should be more stable with all of that weight in front of the wheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.