Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How to put together or what to do with wheel components?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 11:22 PM
DT503

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a killo tt and am slowly upgrading the stock components. I have gathered a velocity deep v back rim, dt spokes, and a formula hub. Right now the stock wheel set is on. I don't know how to put this wheel together myself, can i take these parts into a shop? or where can i find the information to do it myself? i replaces the crank and of course the pedals very easily so i'm not a total newb.

thanks!
Old 11-29-10, 11:35 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sheldon has got an elaborate article on wheelbuilding.

You could learn to put it together but it will be kind of hard to finish it up without a truing stand or you could give it to a shop to build it up. ~$50 and up depending on the shop.

I would suggest you to go build it up yourself, wheelbuilding could be a fun experience.
Old 11-29-10, 11:38 PM
silver_ghost

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like you're in way over your head. Do you have any idea if the spokes you have are the correct size? Start here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheels/index.html. Wheel building isn't rocket surgery, but it's a lot more complicated than replacing pedals and cranks.

Also, prepare for merciless ribbing from the bike forums mob.
Old 11-29-10, 11:47 PM
xkillemallx16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prepare to get those spokes cut, buy nipples, spoke tensioners, and the parktool tm-1 spoke tension meter as well as a wheelbuilding stand. not all are required, but i highly recommend.
Old 11-30-10, 02:20 AM
calv
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xkillemallx16
Prepare to get those spokes cut, buy nipples, spoke tensioners, and the parktool tm-1 spoke tension meter as well as a wheelbuilding stand. not all are required, but i highly recommend.
Do you know how to build wheels/have those tools?

Last edited by calv; 11-30-10 at 02:31 AM.
Old 11-30-10, 02:42 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike co-ops are perfect for this scenario, you can use their tension meter, spoke keys, replace spokes/nipples, truing stand and most of all, advices from the mechanics. Especially during the winter times, they are usually not as busy as the better seasons.

That said, I have used my bike co-op's wheel building equipments to rebuild wheels for them. Plus, they have cheap spokes, $20 for whatever amount you need with nipples, can't beat that.
Old 11-30-10, 06:37 AM
PlattsVegas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say just go for it. It never hurts to learn a new skill, and the only way to learn is by doing.
Old 11-30-10, 06:42 AM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xkillemallx16
What are you talking about, do you even know if he bought the incorrect length spokes? Also DT spokes come with nipples, so he shouldn't need to buy those. And you don't need a tension meter, I have built many a wheel without one.
Old 11-30-10, 08:06 AM
Deshi

Bikes: 1990 Waterford Paramount, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2001 Surly 1x1, 2014 Canfield N9, 2015 Canfield Balance, 2013 Rocky Mtn Flatline, 2012 Intense SS2, 2014 Transition Klunker, + more!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vw addict
What are you talking about, do you even know if he bought the incorrect length spokes? Also DT spokes come with nipples, so he shouldn't need to buy those. And you don't need a tension meter, I have built many a wheel without one.
To properly build a wheel, this is a crucial piece of equipment. To little tension and you start to break spokes and the wheel does not remain true, to much tension and you start to break spokes and possibly damage your rim and/or hub. Good luck to you hack.
Old 11-30-10, 09:07 AM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deshi
Good luck to you hack.
don't tell any of my wheels or the ones that I have built for customers that!!!! Proof is in the product dude. Not saying they are worthless, just not needed.
Old 11-30-10, 09:56 AM
PlattsVegas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do not need a spoke tension meter. They are a great asset, but not completely necessary.
Old 11-30-10, 09:57 AM
ichitz
Nü-Fred

Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tension meter is not totally needed as u can check by sound as i do with my wheels. But if u want to be extra sure, or if u are just starting out then having one is good.
Old 11-30-10, 11:15 AM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deshi
To properly build a wheel, this is a crucial piece of equipment. To little tension and you start to break spokes and the wheel does not remain true, to much tension and you start to break spokes and possibly damage your rim and/or hub. Good luck to you hack.
Hilarious
Old 11-30-10, 11:51 AM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Why are some folks so adamant about tensiometers? It's certainly preferable to use one, but pitch works fine.
Old 11-30-10, 11:58 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Perhaps so you *know* whether the tension is in spec, rather than making a wild guess?
Old 11-30-10, 12:18 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Funny how these threads get out of sync with the OP. We have a clueless newb who clearly has no business trying to build a wheel, and here we are debating the fine points of wheel building methodology. Fact is, a wheel built by an experienced and skilled wheel builder without the benefit of a spoke tension tool will be better than one built by an inexperienced newb using a tension tool. Wheels that I built decades ago w/o using a tension tool are still true today after thousands of rough miles of use.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 11-30-10, 12:28 PM
Panda Bear

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez, 80's Shogun Selectra, 2007 Specialized HardRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Funny how these threads get out of sync with the OP. We have a clueless newb who clearly has no business trying to build a wheel, and here we are debating the fine points of wheel building methodology. Fact is, a wheel built by an experienced and skilled wheel builder without the benefit of a spoke tension tool will be better than one built by an inexperienced newb using a tension tool. Wheels that I built decades ago w/o using a tension tool are still true today after thousands of rough miles of use.
What would the best way to learn to build wheels be though? With or without a tension meter? I'm curious too, as I'm sure the OP is.
Old 11-30-10, 12:35 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I disagree. There's really nothing mystical about it. Just follow some directions and be patient. I taught myself to build wheels. My first wheelset is still as true and round as my most recent wheelset and much better than any prebuild wheelset I have ever bought. Get a set of instructions and be patient....they'll turn out fine. A tensiometer and truing stand help but are not necessary. (Can you borrow them from someone?). At the very worst, you can build the wheel and then bring it to the LBS and ask them to check the tension and fine-tune if necessary. That should cost far less than asking them to build it for you. You'll learn a lot in the process and may find that wheelbuilding is something you like to do, and you and your friends will always be riding on properly built wheels because of it. It'll save you a ton of money in the long run. I'm always looking for an excuse to build or fine-tune wheels.

Last edited by mihlbach; 11-30-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 12:40 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
How I started:
1. Bought the Jobst Brandt book "The Bicycle Wheel".
2. Bought spoke wrench, truing stand, tension meter.
3. Selected hubs, rims and spokes, used spocalc.xls to get spoke lengths, ordered parts.
4. Built wheel with Brandt book at my side.
Old 11-30-10, 01:10 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I disagree.
I don't see any disagreement, but whatever.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 11-30-10, 02:01 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
This is what I disagree with...I don't believe experience is all that relevant to building a good wheel, as long as a good set of instructions are followed correctly, anybody can build a good wheel. Experience will make you faster and allow you to work with more confidence, but its not required. In some cases, lack of experience is better. I've seen wheels built by experienced wheelbuilders that were complete ****, probably because the builder was in a hurry or did not care. At least if you do it yourself, you'll know how much effort was put into getting it done right.

OP seems to have vaporized anyway, so dragging this on is probably a waste of effort.
Old 12-01-10, 12:22 AM
DT503

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks. I decided to do it myself and borrowed a tension meter from a friend. It's working out so far. Hope it stays true.