Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New to this and need help

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 03:08 PM
Eddylee01

Bikes: Dawes Streetfighter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I just started a job that lets me take a short commute from the station to work. Decided to buy a Fixie/single speed. I bought a Dawes streetfighter from BD (from a low budget i could afford).
I was looking for now to get some platform pedals and some new tires
I did some research on both but only confused myself some more
If anyone got suggestions for city commuting.
would really appreciate the suggestions
Old 10-18-18, 03:39 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are nearly puncture proof but heavy and $$$ but you save time, trouble, and money on flat repairs. Odessey makes some decent "plastic" platform pedals in a million different colors and graphics for a reasonable price. You can spend a ton on nice platform pedals that would be really exciting! Odessey will hold up though. I have the Galaxy print on one of my bikes. You can get donuts too! Or just plain colors.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/86/1e...1fc8bb6265.jpg
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...g?v=1502338964

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-18-18 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 03:44 PM
Eddylee01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'll look into it
thanks for the suggestions

question though whats a good width for a commuting tire
Old 10-18-18, 03:49 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Eddylee01
i'll look into it
thanks for the suggestions

question though whats a good width for a commuting tire
Matter of opinion but I run the widest thing that fits the bike. The Marathon Plus tires start at 700x25. They do not make the Plus in 700x23. So there is a good starting point if they fit.
Old 10-18-18, 04:32 PM
Eddylee01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Matter of opinion but I run the widest thing that fits the bike. The Marathon Plus tires start at 700x25. They do not make the Plus in 700x23. So there is a good starting point if they fit.
Cool cool
i just didnt know since i was thinking if 28 would fit my fork
Old 10-18-18, 05:25 PM
20t
spinner

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Last edited by 20t; 03-29-23 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 02:34 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Cool cool
i just didnt know since i was thinking if 28 would fit my fork
ill second that the best tire is the largest that will fit. If you think a 28 will fit, then start with that. For commuting, I wouldn’t recommend anything less than 28. There are some measurements you can do to give som approximations on what size tires will fit, but there are a lot of variables here that can affect that, like the width of your rims, wether your chainstays are dimpled for tire clearance, if your tire brand choice lists their sizes accurately, will the tire stretch (what PSI will you be running). Will your brakes clear larger tires? (Most modern dual pivot side pull brakes are designed for lightweight and aerodynamics, not for tire clearence)

What tire size you run, is obviously a personal choice, but as a full time commuter for years, my advice in this regard is pretty simple: don’t run less than 28mm, even if you’re a lightweight. If your frame can’t fit at least a 28mm then you need to accept that it’s not a good choice for a commuter. If it can accept a 28, then from there you can do some measurements to see how large a tire you can run. If you can go larger, do it. I get the rationale behind bicycle commuting to save money, and so you’d not want to spend very much, but a commuter bike is also a tool that you are going to be relying on, and if it’s not up to the task, you’d only be giving yourself unnecessary headaches down the road.

as for what type of tire to run? Well schwalbe is regarded as the king of commuters and they have several good choices. (Such as the venerable Marathon Plus “flatless” tire)
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires
my advice though, is that unless you live somewhere that you know you’ll be susceptible to actual punctures, (plant thorns, streets or bicycle lanes full of debris, etc) you probably don’t need serious puncture protection. Most people don’t suffer actual punctures as much as they suffer pinch flats. There are two main ways to get a piinch flat: 1. Riding on tires that don’t have enough volume to support your weight and the weight of the bike and anything you’re carrying) 2. Not having your tires at a high enough PSI. The smaller your tire, the more PSI you’ll need to avoid pinch flats. The more PSI the harsher the ride. Pretty simple. Potholes cause pinch flats, not punctures.

Last edited by seamuis; 10-19-18 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 10:13 AM
Eddylee01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis

ill second that the best tire is the largest that will fit. If you think a 28 will fit, then start with that. For commuting, I wouldn’t recommend anything less than 28. There are some measurements you can do to give som approximations on what size tires will fit, but there are a lot of variables here that can affect that, like the width of your rims, wether your chainstays are dimpled for tire clearance, if your tire brand choice lists their sizes accurately, will the tire stretch (what PSI will you be running). Will your brakes clear larger tires? (Most modern dual pivot side pull brakes are designed for lightweight and aerodynamics, not for tire clearence)

True true i get that but honestly for the need right now I have seen that this bike is very solid minor cosmetics.
To be true about the commute, its very short like a mile or two one way. I also can't budget for a mid tier as most of everything goes into expenses.
i wanted a solid starter that i can build upon then buy a better bike later on after some more experience.
Thank you for input and suggestion, really appreciate the explanation

I don't actually know if they can.
as you said they are dual pivots so i will probably need to buy new calipers as well when i invest in new tires.Tektro 510A Dual Pivot Caliper F&R
Any suggestions on those?

you said measure the fork. how would I go about doing that to know the biggest tire i can fit on my bike?
Old 10-19-18, 10:16 AM
Eddylee01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 20t
Just get a pair of zefal half clips off amazon and throw them on the pedals your bike came with. That set up will be way better than any platform pedal and cheaper. What about your current tires that you don’t like? I know you can fit at least 32mm on your bike.
Its not that i don't like them since I haven't rode them too much yet. Its mostly based on the fact of what i have been reading.

Did you have a BD Dawes, if so, how did you like it?
Old 10-19-18, 02:11 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

True true i get that but honestly for the need right now I have seen that this bike is very solid minor cosmetics.
To be true about the commute, its very short like a mile or two one way. I also can't budget for a mid tier as most of everything goes into expenses.
i wanted a solid starter that i can build upon then buy a better bike later on after some more experience.
Thank you for input and suggestion, really appreciate the explanation

I don't actually know if they can.
as you said they are dual pivots so i will probably need to buy new calipers as well when i invest in new tires.Tektro 510A Dual Pivot Caliper F&R
Any suggestions on those?

you said measure the fork. how would I go about doing that to know the biggest tire i can fit on my bike?
your fork will likely clear just fine. It’s your chainstays and possibly the brake bridge that will usually be the issue. measuring clearence between chainstays can be pretty tricky. If your commute is that short, then it’s possible that you may not need to do anything to the bike. If it comes with stock 25mm tires, then buy a cheap set of 28’s, or possibly go to your local bike shop or bike co-op (if you have one) and ask them about tire clearence. They might even have a wheel with a 28mm tire mounted that you could use to test fit. I would look into this before spending any money. I don’t know what your weight is, but in my opinion, there’s no logical and certainly no comfortable reason to be running 25mm, even for a short commute.

I dont know anything about Tektro 510a’s, but if im not mistaken, with tektro, anything in the ‘500’ series should be a mid reach brake, so I would be surprised if they didn’t have ample clearence.
Old 10-19-18, 05:15 PM
20t
spinner

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Last edited by 20t; 03-29-23 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 05:50 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by 20t

My buddy had a streetfighter. It seemed good for the price. He was able to just barely fit a 35 in the back but it took some time to get to fit. 35 fit up front just fine. I would go 32 front and back if it was me.
Sounds like this bike has more or less, the same clearence as my bike. If so, a 35 would be absolute max, a 32 would be a very good middle ground choice (I run 32s on my commuter) and a 28 would likely allow you to fit full coverage fenders, if you feel you need them. Go with 32s, upgrade the brakes if you need extra clearence and then you should be good to go.

i personally ride panaracer tires, so a few recommendations I can give, (all come in both 28 and 32mm)

panaracer RiBMo - if you want a good balance between puncture protection but lightweight and fast (slick)
panaracer T-serv - for a similar tire, but with treading for more confidence through dirt/sand/gravel
panaracer Tourguard Plus - for a heavy duty puncture resistant tire
panaracer GravelKing - for a fast, lightweight, smooth tire at the expense of serious puncture protection (my favourite tire, and what I commute on)

happy riding, cheers mate.
Old 10-19-18, 06:40 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

Whoa, haven't seen you around here in a long time. welcome back! I second those pedals.
Old 10-21-18, 12:48 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by hairnet
Whoa, haven't seen you around here in a long time. welcome back! I second those pedals.
Thanks man!

I just annoy A&S now and then. Make a post or two in Car-Free. Not much else anymore.

Cheers!
Old 10-22-18, 02:04 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I just annoy A&S now and then.
I'm sure the people in A&S love your riding methods.
Old 10-22-18, 09:43 AM
Eddylee01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the suggestions and help will definitely look at the ones suggested.