Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Don't let newbies attach to dead threads

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Don't let newbies attach to dead threads

Old 07-14-19, 12:32 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for your reply @CliffordK. Since I had been participating on this thread, I was at least amused to encounter that old thread on a recurrent topic resurrected after so many years. Shortly after my post, three consecutive subscribers commented similarly, e.g. I guess my dismay about reading and uncovering a zombie thread is that I was fooled again. As posted earlier this thread,
1. It's just your memory.

2. I can't necessarily make heads or tails of all your nested comments. Standard forum protocols ask you to address an issue separately or at least one at a time and inline. Explaining how how post doesn't help me to sort it out so I tend to gloss over it.

I'm more than happy to try and help you all I can but I'm an old geezer in the guise of Skippy.

This is how I feel at some point some days.

If everyone wants to bicker, can we do it in A&S as is customary? Mr. bill can probably find a statute for it.
Old 07-14-19, 05:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Thanks for your reply @CliffordK. …
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I can't necessarily make heads or tails of all your nested comments. Standard forum protocols ask you to address an issue separately or at least one at a time and inline. Explaining how how [sic] post doesn't help me to sort it out so I tend to gloss over it.

I'm more than happy to try and help you all I can but I'm an old geezer in the guise of Skippy.

If everyone wants to bicker, can we do it in A&S as is customary? Mr. bill can probably find a statute for it.
I did not receive a reply from @CliffordK to acknowledge or dispute my post and that’s fine with me. I’ve not been advised by any Moderators that I have violated any “Standard Forum Protocols’ in 10 years on Bike Forums,

Indeed I have explained my expansive posting style on several occasions, most recently and completely here (link), though I do so with nested quotes, including one by you @Rollfast.

Perhaps you prefer this opinion on a now-closed thread:
Originally Posted by Frankfast
Forums for me are just like fast food. If I want something healthy, I'll read some good fiction.
BTW, I didn’t understand your reference to Skippy, and I think that photograph might be of a character on the TV Sitcom, Momma’s Family.” Does not Standard Writing Protocol recommend clarity, intelligibility, or at least parenthetical explanation of such references?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-14-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-14-19, 06:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts

I can't necessarily make heads or tails of all your nested comments.
The ignore feature cleans this up for lots of us.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-14-19, 07:39 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Counterpoint: zombie threads are funny and entertaining.

Someone who must spend hours creating nested quotes that no one reads can't really complain that zombie threads waste their time.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-14-19, 10:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rollfast
i can't necessarily make heads or tails of all your nested comments.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
the ignore feature cleans this up for lots of us.
+1
Old 07-14-19, 10:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by ksryder

Someone who must spend hours creating nested quotes that no one reads can't really complain that zombie threads waste their time.
I earlier posted on this thread similar to Nachoman’s response to a zombie thread:
Just now I encountered a thread about dogs, on the Road Cycling Forum, from 2005,with a couple of new replies. I posted my consternation.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh, that thread has gone to the dogs.

What difference does it really make? There was also a thread that popped up about drive-up windows. An issue that was around a decade ago, and still an issue today…

I'm just as happy to see a few comments in the old thread, and then let it sink down again for another decade as to see a bunch of redundant threads pop up.
Thanks for your reply @CliffordK. Since I had been participating on this thread, I was at least amused to encounter that old thread on a recurrent topic resurrected after so many years.

Shortly after my post, three consecutive subscribers commented similarly… I guess my dismay about reading and uncovering a zombie thread is that I was fooled again.
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Crap. I fell for it and started reading the 10 year old essay. I wish zombie threads were easier to identify.
BTW, I don’t consider posting (and reading) BikeForums a waste of time. Indeed, I have frequently posted,
Posting has become an avocation for me…and beside the exchange of information and ideas [and just chatting], I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that addtional mental stimulation.

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic [or read another subscriber's good one], written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post….
Actually, a waste of time for me is responding to these recurring wearisome replies about my posting style, instead of just ignoring my posts.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-07-19 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-14-19, 10:59 AM
Jim from Boston

ɅɅɅɅ

BTW,Today on this thread I posted:
Thanks for your reply @CliffordK
I can't necessarily make heads or tails of all your nested comments
I did not receive a reply from @CliffordK to acknowledge or dispute my post and that’s fine with me
While re-reading it I realized that I had indeed received a cordial reply from @CliffordK:
Thanks for your reply @CliffordK. Since I had been participating on this thread, I was at least amused to encounter that old thread on a recurrent topic resurrected after so many years…
I haven't been on the forum for a decade yet, but it is still interesting when I see a quote of something I wrote 5 years ago or so.

And, on occasion, users will dig up something very specific to what I've written in the past. For example a few weeks ago there was someone commenting about Tannus tires which I've used, and posted about a few years ago.

Resurrecting the dead thread is a method to get people who were interested in the topic earlier, back on line.

As far as recognizing zombie threads, it is easy enough. If a thread pops up that I don't remember with 5 pages of comments and a few users that I don't recognize, then I'll simply check the post dates, then jump to the end to check out the new content.

Thread start dates wouldn't hurt. Color code it if one wishes (green for < 1 year, red for > 1 year) although it may be more complex to determine active old threads vs inactive ones. "Are you Looking" or "Wacky" threads?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-14-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-14-19, 11:01 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Do Zombies nest quotes?
Old 07-14-19, 12:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

It does nothing for others quoting that person last time I checked so I have to ignore ignore, and I am trying to help others if I can so ignorance isn't bliss.

Ignore is a useless feature and has been since day one. I don't see that is worked for you.

I will repeat, I am not a moderator. Tom asked me to join once but that is one of the things I had to politely dismiss. I really appreciated that he thought that much of me but that's overload for me, folks. I simply can't understand why people can't clamp down and live with stuff.

My first internet experience dates to 1995. All my friends wanted to know was can I get X on it. I told them that at 19.6 kbps they would die before Internet Explorer 4 or 5 told them it couldn't open the file. I've had my own ISP account since 1997 and used Google's Usenet portal (and Microsoft's access via Win 95 and 98) as well as many of the earliest php boards, Jelsoft 1.0 among them. Please learn to live with what you have when you have to. Remember that you are not the only ones using this site, or the internet and let these cats work.

And most of the members here are my age or older at the moment. We didn't fight the Germans in the forests of Belgium but we did fight the Browser Wars.

You will not die of scabies, I promise.

Last edited by Rollfast; 07-14-19 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-14-19, 12:48 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Do Zombies nest quotes?
Zombies don't use computers, they are interested in your personal CPU.
Old 07-14-19, 01:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Ignore is a useless feature and has been since day one. I don't see that is worked for you.
Actually it works very well for me. I can easily ignore the narcissistic nesting and fb's nattering. I get your point about others quoting the ignored but in practice it rarely happens. Why would they Sorry, I couldn't make any sense of the rest of your post.
Old 07-14-19, 01:36 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I'm not a newbie, have a life outside of the internet and forums, and read more than I post, so my post count is not that high.

Last week I had googled Nexus hubs and found a six or seven year-old discussion on this forum that is as contemporary as the day the OP posted it.

Then I posted a thank you, which bumped it back to the top ... I'd say at least overnight.

My point?

Not all old threads are useless information, and sometimes resurrecting one is better than starting a new one.

In my opinion, naturally.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Likes For BookFinder:
Old 07-14-19, 02:11 PM
Jim from Boston

I can't necessarily make heads or tails of all your nested comments…
+1
It does nothing for others quoting that person last time I checked so I have to ignore ignore, and I am trying to help others if I can so ignorance isn't bliss.

Actually it works very well for me. I can easily ignore the narcissistic nesting and fb's nattering. I get your point about others quoting the ignored but in practice it rarely happens. Why would they Sorry, I couldn't make any sense of the rest of your post.
"The name is Boston...Jim from Boston." So it seems to IGNORE implies more abhorrence, than simply DNR (Did Not Read), and how does the Ignored One learn of his Status?

Personally, I don’t ignore anyone:
"Likes" or "Points" [for] members”

Apropos of this thread, I once started a now-closed thread, “Bike Forums Hall of Fame.” I thought it would be nice to know, by popular acclaim, just who are the most savvy, knowledgeable, and reliable subscribers to Bike Forums.

After about 10 years here I have my preferences (and my own choices for the ones I consider “pills,” who are nonetheless fun to read).
(from a now-closed thread) Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-14-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-14-19, 02:58 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

You can't ignore anyone, or your paranoia is useless.
Old 07-14-19, 07:03 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I did not receive a reply from @CliffordK to acknowledge or dispute my post and that’s fine with me. I’ve not been advised by any Moderators that I have violated any “Standard Forum Protocols’ in 10 years on Bike Forums,

Indeed I have explained my expansive posting style on several occasions, most recently and completely here (link), though I do so with nested quotes, including one by you @Rollfast.

Perhaps you prefer this opinion on a now-closed thread:

BTW, I didn’t understand your reference to Skippy, and I think that photograph might be of a character on the TV Sitcom, Momma’s Family.” Does not Standard Writing Protocol recommend clarity, intelligibility, or at least parenthetical explanation of such references?
That's Kristen Wiig on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update set with her famous Ewww!
Old 07-18-19, 08:16 AM
ksryder

I bumped a 17-year-old thread the other day as a joke and not only did it get locked, now it seems to have disappeared.

That seems excessive.

And humorless.
Old 07-18-19, 11:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Zombies weren't very funny, but Michael Jackson's skeleton crew could dance and a couple had great music.
Old 07-19-19, 03:37 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Rob Zombie and Rod Argent that is.
Old 07-19-19, 03:53 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

But since you latched on to who/what we were talking about, you've just given yourself away.
Old 07-19-19, 06:10 AM
Jim from Boston

I can't necessarily make heads or tails of all your [Jim from Boston] nested comments
+1

Actually it works very well for me. I can easily ignore the narcissistic nesting and fb's nattering.

I get your point about others quoting the ignored but in practice it rarely happens. Why would they ...
"The name is Boston...Jim from Boston." So it seems to IGNORE implies more abhorrence, than simply DNR (Did Not Read), and how does the Ignored One learn of his Status?

Personally, I don’t ignore anyone:
"Likes" or "Points" [for] members”

After about 10 years here I have my preferences (and my own choices for the ones I consider “pills,” who are nonetheless fun to read).
But since you [shelbyfv] latched on to who/what we were talking about, you've just given yourself away.
Furthermore,

I earlier posted on this thread:... BTW, I don’t consider posting (and reading) BikeForums a waste of time.

Actually, a waste of time for me is replying to these RECURRING [emphasis added] wearisome replies about my posting style, instead of just ignoring my posts.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-19-19 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 06:11 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

But since you latched on to who/what we were talking about, you've just given yourself away.
Sorry, I don't have a clue what you are going on about.
Old 07-19-19, 07:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Sorry, I don't have a clue what you are going on about.
I earlier posted on this thread:... BTW, I don’t consider posting (and reading) BikeForums a waste of time.

Actually, a waste of time for me is replying to these RECURRING [emphasis added] wearisome replies about my posting style, instead of just ignoring my posts.
See what I mean?
Old 07-19-19, 08:04 AM
ksryder

Zombies weren't very funny, but Michael Jackson's skeleton crew could dance and a couple had great music.
The zombie movie Shaun of the Dead was pretty funny.

Zombieland had its moments.
Old 07-19-19, 11:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
The zombie movie Shaun of the Dead was pretty funny.
"You've got red on you."
Old 07-19-19, 04:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

See what I mean?
It's okay for you not to understand! Some day you'll reach Bizarro World Nirvana and it will all be foggy at the bottom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.