Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Alloy frame with Future Shock or Carbon frame

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 11:48 AM
simonsez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone! Well my bike search continues and, unfortunately, under these exceptional times of uncertainty, I致e decided to lower my budget by about $500. I値l try to make this brief. I知 now looking at either the Specialized Sirrus X 4.0 or the Sirrus 4.0 (there痴 only a $50 difference between the 2 so I知 good with that)

I知 still unable to test ride bikes with the ongoing restrictions but basically I知 looking for opinions and/or thoughts on the following (I ride 75% road and 25% gravel):

What would you choose? The alloy X 4.0 with 38c tires, a 1x10 Deore drivetrain and a Future Shock OR the carbon 4.0 with 32c Tires, a 2X9 Sora drivetrain but no Future Shock?

Thanks again!
Old 05-18-20, 03:19 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
I bought the Sirrus X 4.0 configured exactly as you describe, as I intend to use this mostly as a trail bike with some road riding . . . I have another bike that is for road use only.
So far (just one week of use), the Sirrus X 4.0 works for me and should serve me well for intermediate-level gravel riding, there are no hills here but my gravel routes vary in texture with packed dirt and sand pocked with a lot of rocks in the surface so I opted for the suspension option the Future Shock offers -- it's minimal suspension, but it's noticeable and helpful -- and I went with the 1x option as I'll have less need for 2x when trail riding on flat terrain.

However the regular Sirrus, with the carbon + the 2x + the 32s, will surely outpace this Sirrux X when going full-out on pavement.
If you'll be riding mostly on pavement and you don't want to be thinking "for $1200 bucks I wish this went faster", you might prefer the Sirrus over the Sirrus X variation.