Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown vintage can anyone help?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unknown vintage can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 06:52 PM
Karl T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Viscount

From what I've read on a Lambert /Viscount forum the frame seems to be a 76 Viscount Victor. It's one of the few Lambert /Viscount bikes that are semi lugged. It also matches the cut outs on the head.
Thanks again for all your help, wouldn't have known where to start without it.
Old 05-27-20, 09:35 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl T
From what I've read on a Lambert /Viscount forum the frame seems to be a 76 Viscount Victor. It's one of the few Lambert /Viscount bikes that are semi lugged. It also matches the cut outs on the head.
Thanks again for all your help, wouldn't have known where to start without it.
interesting! That's a model of Viscount I never heard of (and at first stab Google doesn't provide any pix), so if you have any pix of this Victor to share we'd love to see them! Glad you were able to solve the ID mystery.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-28-20, 08:30 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
The overized seattube (normally 28.6 mm) would explain the lack of lugs on the back of the frame and the large seat post. However, the toptube (normally 25.4 mm) is also oversize, and the haedtube is about 1 mm oversize, so the lugs are not standard. So why not non-standard lugs on the seat tube?

The craftsmanship on the non-lugged fillet joints is superior to the somewhat slapdash work on the lugs from what I can see in the photos.
Old 05-28-20, 08:44 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gerrya...h/33335354001/ These photos of a Victor show front lugs only. But no alumin(i)um fork (could have been added later) and no forged dropouts (though it's hard to tell for sure since OP also has no derailleur hanger and the mounted derailleur blocks the view of the dropout). Can't really see the tubing sticker, but it looks like the Viscount chro-mo sticker.

The low-end Viscount imported to the US was called the Sebring. It was lugged but not chro-mo.

And this:

"The 5 speed Victor ran from 1975 - 1977. The frame was a full on Aerospace one - Phoenix 1027 tubing, fillet brazed, pressed in bottom bracket cartridge bearings, etc. - but with a lugged head tube. The lugs were usually lined with gold paint too. Nice.

Yours is almost 100% original which is pretty amazing. Even the green label IRC tyres are on! The only variations I can see from the original specification are:

a) the cranks should be Sugino Maxy with a single 3 bolt 48 tooth steel chainring. You have Viscount's own cranks with a TA chainring (a very high quality combination).

b) the axle bolts would have had the nice white 'V' on a red background detail.

c) the pedals should be chrome rattrap ones made by Union. Not sure who made the ones you have although I do remember them from the 1970s so they are period correct.

d) the rear brake cable was held on with 3 chrome clips (screw free type).

e) the Shimano Positron (what a name, should be straight out of a Woody Allen movie - remember the 'Orgasmatron' from the 'Sleeper' ?!) shift lever should be on the bar stem (which should be made by SR). Poor Suntour. They slept through Shimano's 'Positron' release unaware that it was to give birth to the Indexing gear change system which killed Suntour off in the 1980s. Ouch!"

source:https://viscountandlambert.boards.ne...rospace-victor

The limited tyre clearance on the chainstays is a classic Aerospace frame issue. They were built for tubs or narrow section tyres (usually IRC).

The Victor was really intended for light use, town riding, commuting, etc. hence the limited range of gears.

Victors, like all Viscounts were affected by Viscount's part supplies issue hence the alloy rims on your bike (they were usually steel - made by a German company called Schürmann)

Last edited by Sluggo; 05-28-20 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 10:29 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
the braze on on the bottom of the down tube is to keep a clamp on shifter set
from sliding
Old 05-30-20, 02:47 PM
Karl T

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
interesting! That's a model of Viscount I never heard of (and at first stab Google doesn't provide any pix), so if you have any pix of this Victor to share we'd love to see them! Glad you were able to solve the ID mystery.
Thanks, yeah it's good to know what it is, really glad it's a 70's bike and the history of Lambert /Viscount is really interesting too.
The photo posted in the last post is the only one I could find too. The Victor's seem a bit more rare than other Lambert/Viscount models.
Old 05-30-20, 02:49 PM
Karl T

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steve sumner
the braze on on the bottom of the down tube is to keep a clamp on shifter set
from sliding
Thanks Steve, yeah someone on the thread mentioned that, think he called it a pip. I have some clamp on shifters ordered, the braze on will make the mounting of them more secure.