Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ribble Endurance Titanium

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 07:24 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts

Hello folks! This is my introductory post. I’ve been building up a lot of bikes in online shopping carts these days while waiting for the day I can go back to work full time (non-clinical admin hospital staff, so non-essential) and finally buy my first new road bike. I haven’t ridden in over 20 years due to shoulder and neck pain. I've finally attributed it to a used cannondale that was too low and large for me. With manufacturers all making endurance models these days, it seems I can get back into it.
I’ve really thought about what my requirements are for a new bike at my age (53), current fitness level (get winded climbing 5 flights of stairs) and more casual style of riding (no racing). I’m also done with the used market as I really want to treat myself to a new endurance bike that fits me. Carbon seemed the way to go but worried about how delicate they tend to be, especially if I crash which might be occasional. Thought about aluminum but my last bike was a little stiff and jarring. I’ve read a few articles about titanium which seemed to be the ride properties I’m looking for. Plus to be honest that metal finish is so old school cool. Could also be my one and only forever bike.
Looked at a few manufacturers all way out of my budget. Ribble’s yet to be launched titanium endurance disc is right in my budget of around $3k. Their 105 Sport build was $2400, ultegra Enthusiast build $3400. The site also lets me upgrade to Ultegra from the 105 build which gets me right at $3k (w/o the better wheels that come with the Enthusiast pre build). And interest free financing, even better.
Has anyone looked at the Ribble’s titanium endurance or am I alone? Tried to find threads about it but nada. Curious what you guys think.
Old 05-17-20, 03:54 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Seems like a very good value for titanium!
Old 05-17-20, 05:53 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Another option - their Ti frames get good reviews
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm
Old 05-17-20, 06:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
The Ribbles are pretty good value bikes. Curiously note though, their 'Endurance' lineup seems to have fairly low stack heights relative to the typical "Endurance" bikes. Their geometry is more similar to typical performance road (eg. Giant TCR, not a Defy).

That said, their CGR Ti is pretty interesting too --if you have any interest in a do-anything type of setup, and this does offer a more upright geo.
Old 05-17-20, 09:34 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Yes I noticed that too. If I remember correctly the Cannondale Synapse, and to lesser extent a Scott Addict, I tried out at my local LBS felt similarly lower and stretched out as well. Might defeat my purpose for a more relaxed upright endurance fit. Also tried out Giant Defy and Specialized Roubaix but they seemed squished like I was hunchbacked. Also didn’t want the extra damping features of those specific models.
I’ll check out the CGR Ti too since it could offer more ride options. Cheers.
Old 05-17-20, 09:35 AM
Wilbur76

Thanks for the tip. Ultegra spec is nice for the price too!
Old 05-17-20, 02:16 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I've got the previous generation 105 (5800) on my Ti bike (not Ribble) and it's great. If you are more budget conscious then don't be afraid of 105. I'm sure the latest generation is even better.
Old 05-17-20, 02:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The CGR Ti looks like a really cool bike. If I were to upgrade my gravel/utility bike, the CGR Ti would be a top candidate.
Old 05-17-20, 02:58 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
This thread needs a pic.

And name aside, it's not what almost anyone would call endurance geometry - its numbers are almost bang-on for my old S1, which is way towards the low/ aggressive end of things.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-17-20, 03:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And name aside, it's not what almost anyone would call endurance geometry - its numbers are almost bang-on for my old S1, which is way towards the low/ aggressive end of things.
Someone should write them and ask why they slapped "Endurance" on the name of their entire new roadbike lineup. I have to imagine there have been more than a couple surprised buyers who didn't know enough to read a geo chart.

And just for some more pics.. here's their CGR:
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-17-20, 03:24 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
This thread needs a pic.

it looks really nice with the sand blasted matte panel sections inset with the polished Ribble branding. The dropped seatstay design is nice. It gives it a contemporary compact road look.

As as far as fitting the bike to be less aggressive you could play around with sizing and stem length/rise to get the fit/comfort level you are content with. Personally, as a shrinking 6 footer, I would get the medium and put a longer, slight upward rise stem on. Or even just a 73 degree stem and see if my back and neck did not get too sore. If you prefer the taller head tube you could run a shorter stem for a proper fit on the next size bigger frame.
Old 05-18-20, 02:35 PM
Wilbur76

Thanks for the great feedback! Taking your advice and leaning toward Ribble’s gravel CGR Ti as it matches endurance geometry more than their “endurance” model. Weird. Thinking base gravel wheels w/105 or upgrade to Ultegra. Once I get a decent road set of wheels then I’ll have options to ride where I want.
Old 05-18-20, 03:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Wilbur76
Thanks for the great feedback! Taking your advice and leaning toward Ribble’s gravel CGR Ti as it matches endurance geometry more than their “endurance” model. Weird. Thinking base gravel wheels w/105 or upgrade to Ultegra. Once I get a decent road set of wheels then I’ll have options to ride where I want.
Good luck if you go this route. Post pics when you get it. Also.. I'm guessing they probably know better, but you may want to ensure they put the front and rear shifters on the US (correct) side of the handlebars, and not the UK way.

The Ribble carbon wheelset options (eg. Level 40) don't look too bad for a ~$700 upcharge (over Aksiums) if you'd rather the bike shipped with road-ready configuration and you're thinking of getting a road wheelset anyway.
Old 05-18-20, 05:46 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
.. I'm guessing they probably know better, but you may want to ensure they put the front and rear shifters on the US (correct) side of the handlebars, and not the UK way.
They do. I didn’t say/mention anything when I ordered from ribble and it was delivered in correct US brake configuration.
Old 05-28-20, 08:29 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I really like that CGR Ti!

I've been thinking about titanium, but can't stomach the prices. You can do a CGR Ti build with di2 for $3500 (without carbon bars or wheels), very tempting.
Old 05-28-20, 08:58 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Some people seem to think that wider tires, and discs = endurance bike.