Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 06:37 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Not me. Before the ink was dry on my divorce I was out there dating. I was nowhere near mentally or emotionally prepared for a relationship, but I was speed dating and hitting up the social scenes in every way I could think of. Somehow, thankfully, hunkering down never really crossed my mind. Humans are social beings by nature. I’m a firm believer that the dark side is not a good place to spend much time.
I doubt any woman would want me except possibly for financial security and she’d get a rude awakening there.

Old 08-29-19, 06:49 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
I signed up for a CX race this weekend. No training this year. Low mileage in my legs. What could possibly go wrong.
Old 08-29-19, 07:14 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I signed up for a CX race this weekend. No training this year. Low mileage in my legs. What could possibly go wrong.
They will find your body in the Spring.
Old 08-29-19, 07:14 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

What ever happened to botto? Is he still trolling the 33 or did he hang himself in his prison cell?
Old 08-29-19, 07:15 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
@patentcad Totally agree on the dating thing. If my wife left me or God forbid, passed, I’d buy a small house with a garage big enough for my car and bikes and I’d furnish it with a big screen tv, a microwave, a fridge, a bed, and a comfy recliner. No wimmin.

Dating sucks until it doesn't I suppose but I just can't deal with it right now.
Old 08-29-19, 07:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
I just enjoy, actually need, the society of women. If I became single it would be a huge trauma and dating would probably be the last thing I was up for, but I would find an unpressured and neutral place, maybe a volunteer work situation, where I could be with them.

On another subject, what is it that's so hard and aversive about flushing the goddamn toilet in the mens room on the corridor where you work every day? I judge people by what they do when no one's watching and this is a major failure in my book. We won't even talk about the abysmal rate of hand washing in a lab facility directly connected to a building full of immunocompromised patients.
Old 08-29-19, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
On another subject, what is it that's so hard and aversive about flushing the goddamn toilet in the mens room on the corridor where you work every day?
We have e-toilets. What annoys me is a lack of a courtesy flush when appropriate. Wen't to take a leak the other day and nearly gagged from the stench let loose by someone in one of the stalls.
Old 08-29-19, 07:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by datlas
Agree it's a problem. You almost have to pretend you are invisible to cars. She probably posted on FB about how French shower-y the cyclists are.
And she wasn't a "kid." Looked to be in her 50s. One would think that someone of that vintage would be more mature about things and at least be more concerned about their own safety and auto insurance rates when behind the wheel.
Old 08-29-19, 07:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by indyfabz
We have e-toilets. What annoys me is a lack of a courtesy flush when appropriate. Wen't to take a leak the other day and nearly gagged from the stench let loose by someone in one of the stalls.
These are too, but cheapo retrofits and they don't always detect whatever it is they detect, in which case a responsible and pro-social adult presses the button. A courtesy flush is way more than I expect from anyone. I'm happy when they don't make a condor's nest of toilet paper on the seat to protect their ass from cooties and just leave it there. I really feel bad for the poor folks who have to clean that place and read the racist graffiti.
Old 08-29-19, 07:43 AM
MoAlpha
• —

And she wasn't a "kid." Looked to be in her 50s. One would think that someone of that vintage would be more mature about things and at least be more concerned about their own safety and auto insurance rates when behind the wheel.
It takes will power to put those gizmos down. Weren't we talking about obesity earlier?
Old 08-29-19, 07:56 AM
indyfabz

It takes will power to put those gizmos down.
Then I must be the most powerful person on earth when it comes to that.
Old 08-29-19, 07:57 AM
indyfabz

I'm not a serious cyclist.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-29-19, 07:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Almost got nailed riding home after work. Woman in a minivan talking on her cell phone while holding to her face with her right hand. She kept drifting in and out of the bike lane. Even after I punched her car and told her to hang up and drive she kept at it like nothing had happened. Amazing how little regard some people have for others and for the trouble their behavior could get them into.
Originally Posted by datlas
Agree it's a problem. You almost have to pretend you are invisible to cars. She probably posted on FB about how French shower-y the cyclists are.
It takes will power to put those gizmos down. Weren't we talking about obesity earlier?
One of the things that struck me upon moving from NY to MN (7 years ago, already?!) was the number of drivers doing bone-headed things while holding a phone to their ear. NYC was pretty strict about their hands-free law and it seemed to do some good. On Aug 1st of this year, MN finally got with the program and a hands-free law went in to effect.

No difference. Police seemed to ticket for a day or two, but most people don't seem to know or care about the new law.
Old 08-29-19, 08:07 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
One of the things that struck me upon moving from NY to MN (7 years ago, already?!) was the number of drivers doing bone-headed things while holding a phone to their ear. NYC was pretty strict about their hands-free law and it seemed to do some good. On Aug 1st of this year, MN finally got with the program and a hands-free law went in to effect.

No difference. Police seemed to ticket for a day or two, but most people don't seem to know or care about the new law.
It's endemic here, as is texting at the wheel.
Old 08-29-19, 08:10 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

Kansas passed a 3-feet-to-pass law a few years ago and as far as I can tell police have issued tickets approximately zero times.

I've half-seriously thought about submitting an open records request to find actual numbers but the problem is I don't think there's one central agency that tracks all those numbers, you'd have to request information from each individual police and sheriff department. Plus they can get away with charging exorbitant "copying" fees. I used to go around and around with cops on that BS when I was a journalist. There's a difference between what the law says and what you can actually get people to do, especially when the cops are the ones who have no interest in enforcing or following the law, which is pretty much always.

Hmmm I seem to have gone off on a tangent. How about them e-bikes?
Old 08-29-19, 08:12 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Not me. Before the ink was dry on my divorce I was out there dating. I was nowhere near mentally or emotionally prepared for a relationship, but I was speed dating and hitting up the social scenes in every way I could think of. Somehow, thankfully, hunkering down never really crossed my mind. Humans are social beings by nature. I’m a firm believer that the dark side is not a good place to spend much time.
And, not surprisingly, I relish the dark side.
Old 08-29-19, 08:13 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12738 Post(s)
Liked 7,651 Times in 4,058 Posts

I haven't noticed any signs of enforcement in Vancouver, WA or PHX, AZ.
Old 08-29-19, 08:14 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by ksryder
Kansas passed a 3-feet-to-pass law a few years ago and as far as I can tell police have issued tickets approximately zero times.

I've half-seriously thought about submitting an open records request to find actual numbers but the problem is I don't think there's one central agency that tracks all those numbers, you'd have to request information from each individual police and sheriff department. Plus they can get away with charging exorbitant "copying" fees. I used to go around and around with cops on that BS when I was a journalist. There's a difference between what the law says and what you can actually get people to do, especially when the cops are the ones who have no interest in enforcing or following the law, which is pretty much always.

Hmmm I seem to have gone off on a tangent. How about them e-bikes?
I would be happy with > 0 warnings uttered. I have never heard of a 3-foot law being enforced. That said, our county cops are generally sympathetic to cyclists and I like them almost enough to wink at their corrupt disability system.
Old 08-29-19, 08:14 AM
indyfabz

It's endemic here, as is texting at the wheel.
NJ is pretty tough when it comes to enforcing hands free. Philly used to have its own law against cell phone use, but it was nullified by a state law. The state law does not ban had held use for talking. It does ban all texting. That does not seem to stop anyone.
Old 08-29-19, 08:15 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22577 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts

Agree there may need to be more pressure from authorities to go hands-free. Pennsylvania is typically behind the curve on such matters and last I checked, does not have any laws against hand-held phones/devices.
Old 08-29-19, 08:18 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22577 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
I just enjoy, actually need, the society of women. If I became single it would be a huge trauma and dating would probably be the last thing I was up for, but I would find an unpressured and neutral place, maybe a volunteer work situation, where I could be with them.

On another subject, what is it that's so hard and aversive about flushing the goddamn toilet in the mens room on the corridor where you work every day? I judge people by what they do when no one's watching and this is a major failure in my book. We won't even talk about the abysmal rate of hand washing in a lab facility directly connected to a building full of immunocompromised patients.
I am on the other side. I live with 3 women (now 2 since daughter 1 is back at school, but I will still say 3 because Jackie the cat) and my work has 4 other physicians, 7 or 8 nurses/MA's, 6 receptionist/phone people, and an office manager.

All female. Way too much estrogen. The male company I get on the bike, that's it.
Old 08-29-19, 08:20 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

For some time I've been trying to design a gizmo that has enough oomph to key the side of that close pass without having enough oomph to knock me down. Maybe a freewheel of some sort. Many years ago, on my first honeymoon, someone passed close enough to pick up a nice scratch from the open window of my pickup cap.
Old 08-29-19, 08:24 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
For some time I've been trying to design a gizmo that has enough oomph to key the side of that close pass without having enough oomph to knock me down. Maybe a freewheel of some sort. Many years ago, on my first honeymoon, someone passed close enough to pick up a nice scratch from the open window of my pickup cap.
Does this qualify as a pun, or something else?
Old 08-29-19, 08:27 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I have noticed though, that when I have my ,500 lumen headlight on, oncoming cars hold off on passing instead of just ignoring my presence. I think an ultra bright wide angle tail light could have a similar effect.
Old 08-29-19, 08:28 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by ksryder
IIRC, a violation of PAs 4' law (Yes. 4.) results in a $25 ticket and no points. Not much of a deterrent. The only time I have heard of it being enforced is when a driver struck and killed a cyclist who was riding on the shoulder of a bridge.

With that said, I think it has made a difference with many people. One big problem is education. Until a few years ago, the sheriff of Montgomery County, which borders Philadelphia and happens to be the most affluent country in the state and home to a big cycling club, had never heard of the law even though it had been on the books for years. When it was brought to his attention, he held some press conferences to educate country residents. His office also printed up 300 campaign-style signs informing driver of the law. Many of them were placed along popular cycling routes. They all seem to be gone now.

In this case, it looks like the state erected a sign on that black pole. Not really large enough to attract much attention.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5656...7i13312!8i6656

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.