Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek FX2 - Neck Pain Please Help

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-10-20, 01:23 PM
Adriannapolis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Trek FX2 that I use for fitness and commuting. After about 45 minutes to an hour on the bike I have pretty bad neck pain. I am wondering if raising the handlebars would alleviate this, but it looks like I’m maxed out already. Do I spend the money on modifications or buy a new bike? I am a pretty tall female 5’9 32” inseam and I’m wondering if I wouldn’t be better off on a frame designed for men.
Old 05-10-20, 02:41 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Well, its worth it to test something for an hour and see how it goes.
Old 05-10-20, 02:48 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Adriannapolis
I have a Trek FX2 that I use for fitness and commuting. After about 45 minutes to an hour on the bike I have pretty bad neck pain. I am wondering if raising the handlebars would alleviate this, but it looks like I’m maxed out already. Do I spend the money on modifications or buy a new bike? I am a pretty tall female 5’9 32” inseam and I’m wondering if I wouldn’t be better off on a frame designed for men.
What size bike are you currently riding? Is it possible you are riding a bike that is too small for you?
Old 05-12-20, 07:53 PM
Adonis72

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If it's hurting your neck and its raised all the way up I'm guessing your bike may be too small.
Old 05-12-20, 08:25 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
It's not just that the bike could be small, it could be the frame geometry.

I concur that rising your handle bars, and bringing them back towards you could make a difference. You raised it, but did you use a shorter reach stem, and you can use a double stem to bring the handle bars back towards you more.

Bikes have to fit, and it's not just about you standing there over the bike, or riding it a mile.

With me it was always reach, and leaning. I road around on a colorful Bianchi Eros for 4 years. I need a 56 CM in a vintage bike, and it was a 48 and never gave me neck pain. I found it comfortable to ride. No knee pain either.

I have had vintage 56 CM roadies that killed my neck, a beautiful Trek 660 comes to mind. It fit well, but because it had a long reach it bothered my neck badly.

It's why I don't like putting down money on a bike without a decent return policy. I have never purchased a new bike, but I will be buying from a place with such a return policy. (I am not saying the OP bought one way, or another)

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-12-20 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-23-20, 08:24 PM
kaiserschmarrn

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Adriannapolis
What size frame did you buy? I just bought an FX 2 and you are about my size. I got a medium, but I was right inbetween medium and large. My wife got fit into a medium as well, but she is only about 5'4". The salesman put her into a medium even though it is too big for her by the size chart. The small, he felt, and it looked to be so, looked like a child's bike. I looked at the men's vs. woman's frame sizing in the FX 2, because I first tried my wife's bike before buying one. In the FX 2, a woman's S, M snd L conform to the exact sizes of the men's counterparts. All you get are different colors, and in the women's line, you can get a "Step" version with a low top bar, like a old school woman's bike. I do not know if they offer a frame design like that for men. The men's and women's FX 2 do have differently shaped anatomical saddles, now that I think of it.

Danny

Last edited by kaiserschmarrn; 05-25-20 at 05:38 AM.