Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need HELP! something happened when I was biking....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need HELP! something happened when I was biking....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 02:45 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
............ and I B T L
Old 09-08-12, 04:12 PM
joykid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
And so you came here to ask us??
Learn to read first before commenting---->...."for that we have to know a bit or some information first so that we could ask the doctor"
Old 09-08-12, 04:21 PM
joykid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those of you who are complaining why I post health related question to this forum, please be fair....there are already some health related thread posted prior my posting, if you prohibit me, then please also prohibit them too....
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...oulder-surgery
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-surgery-soon
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...r-Cuff-surgery
Old 09-08-12, 04:45 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joykid
For those of you who are complaining why I post health related question to this forum, please be fair....there are already some health related thread posted prior my posting, if you prohibit me, then please also prohibit them too....
A couple of major differences.

Firstly those were established members asking questions rather than a new user who didn't even introduce themselves before asking for advice. Secondly they were asking advice from a cyclist's perspective rather than asking for medical advice.

The first one was looking for comments from anyone who has had shoulder surgery about whether it's sensible to get back on the bike afterwards. Of course people are different, but the question was for peoples' experiences rather than specific medical advice. The second and third ones looked to me more like comments about "man, I'm burned up that I can't ride because of this surgery".

Your question was clearly looking for specific medical advice, which most of us aren't qualified to give. There's a world of difference between someone saying "I had shoulder surgery similar to yours, it was three months before I could ride again" and someone saying "if you've had surgery on your shoulder you will be OK to ride after three months". The first gives someone a baseline, the second is a wild stab in the dark.
Old 09-08-12, 04:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Learn to read first before commenting---->...."for that we have to know a bit or some information first so that we could ask the doctor"
Again I ask ... and so you came here to ask us??

Do you think we're Doctors here? I wasn't kidding when I said that the minimum posting age here is 13. For all you know, we're all teenagers making wild guesses, and having a bit of fun with you.
Old 09-08-12, 05:10 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
**** already!!!
Old 09-08-12, 05:17 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Absolutely right. Ignore the twerps that say you should not ask for advice. Lots do but by asking no one assumes you will follow the
advice in lieu of seeking proper professional advice. If you listen to pcad, this forum seems to give much better advice than his doc's. People like to talk to others sharing common interests and problems. It is what the forums are all about- interaction.
Old 09-08-12, 05:45 PM
rangerdavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
**** already!!!

seriously, and he's insulting machka? Lock this effin thread up.
Old 09-08-12, 08:46 PM
joykid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Absolutely right. Ignore the twerps that say you should not ask for advice. Lots do but by asking no one assumes you will follow the
advice in lieu of seeking proper professional advice. If you listen to pcad, this forum seems to give much better advice than his doc's. People like to talk to others sharing common interests and problems. It is what the forums are all about- interaction.
Thank you, that's what I like about this forum....interaction and opinion exchange
Old 09-08-12, 09:31 PM
joykid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again I ask ... and so you came here to ask us??

Do you think we're Doctors here? I wasn't kidding when I said that the minimum posting age here is 13. For all you know, we're all teenagers making wild guesses, and having a bit of fun with you.
I was asking for opinion, I don't expect anyone to give medical advice like doctor, but it would be helpful if someone, or maybe anybody with similar experience or know what kind of thing it is would kindly comment or give their opinion...I was simply looking for opinion and sharing from kind hearted people here....
And I apologize if any of my word offended you, no offense though...
Old 09-08-12, 09:55 PM
Drakonchik

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
global shopping only pertains to black market body parts for transplants. .
Absurd like a straw man argument. Like saying the global supply for aircraft parts only pertains to black market aircraft parts.
Old 09-08-12, 10:27 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We should change the 41's title to WebMd.

@ OP:
It's fine to ask for medical opinions on a bike forum, but don't you want an answer?
We're cycllist on this forum, not doctors.
I'd want to know the answer for fact if I had a foreign object implanted/left over in my body after a surgery.
As said before, ask a doctor/physician, or go to the emergency if this really matters to you.

Nuff said.
Lock this thread already!

Last edited by Ghost Ryder; 09-08-12 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-08-12, 11:13 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Drakonchik
Absurd like a straw man argument. Like saying the global supply for aircraft parts only pertains to black market aircraft parts.
You don't believe that China is taking organs from prisoners and selling them on the black market? You better do some internet research on this. That is shopping. People in need of a transplant shop till they find what they want, typically out of China but Africa has been known to do that as has some countries south of Mexico, but neither on the scale of China. But people looking for the best treatment for illness's are not shopping, they know where to go, or their doctor tells them to go there.
Old 09-09-12, 12:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I was asking for opinion, I don't expect anyone to give medical advice like doctor, but it would be helpful if someone, or maybe anybody with similar experience or know what kind of thing it is would kindly comment or give their opinion...I was simply looking for opinion and sharing from kind hearted people here....
And I apologize if any of my word offended you, no offense though...
And the only reason you're conversing with us here is because the other forums (medical forums) where you have asked the same question (while claiming that you are a medical student) have locked you out.
Old 09-09-12, 12:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

See ... https://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...php?p=13019331

Maybe this is some first year kid trying to pass an exam or something.
Old 09-09-12, 02:21 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
See ... https://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...php?p=13019331

Maybe this is some first year kid trying to pass an exam or something.
If so I'd love to see the examiner's feedback if he does say it's an update to SPD or a way to hang heavy wall art... perhaps the examiner will be a cyclist with a sense of humour.
Old 09-09-12, 02:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by contango
if so i'd love to see the examiner's feedback if he does say it's an update to spd or a way to hang heavy wall art... Perhaps the examiner will be a cyclist with a sense of humour.
:d
Old 09-09-12, 11:52 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
We should change the 41's title to WebMd.

@ OP:
It's fine to ask for medical opinions on a bike forum, but don't you want an answer?
We're cycllist on this forum, not doctors.
I'd want to know the answer for fact if I had a foreign object implanted/left over in my body after a surgery.
As said before, ask a doctor/physician, or go to the emergency if this really matters to you.

Nuff said.
Lock this thread already!
I agree lock the thread.

Why would someone so concern about something in them come here anyways? You simply call your doctor and have either the doc or their nurse see the x-ray and they can tell you what it is. I guess that's why all the smart arse remarks because we're not doctors, nor should he come here to expect medical advice. The best medical advice he got was to go see his doctor if it concerns him, and another poster told him what the device was, but that wasn't good enough. That should have been the end of the story...but of course it wasn't.
Old 09-10-12, 12:06 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
You should have paid the extra $ for the carbon parts. They wouldn't show up on the xrays and we wouldn't have this stupid thread.
Old 09-10-12, 12:09 AM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
No offense to the OP or other members who posted. But I am genuinely surprised that OP drew such strong reaction from Machka as I always thought she was pretty easy going.

Oh well, ****.

Edit: I thought the thread and topic was entertaining even if it was trolling attempt. At least I learned something new since I wouldn't go to medical forum unless I have a reason to.
Old 09-10-12, 12:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by tuxbailey
No offense to the OP or other members who posted. But I am genuinely surprised that OP drew such strong reaction from Machka as I always thought she was pretty easy going.
The whole idea that there is a teensy percentage of a chance this joykid might actually be serious, and thought he could get a serious response from a cycling forum, particularly the Road forum, just really struck me as funny.

I posted several links to medical forums in which he posted the same question (and of course, the only advice they can give is ... go talk to your Dr), but I wonder who else he asked. His grocery clerk? His school teacher?

I think the thread should have been deleted as soon as the OP posted ... or locked shortly thereafter. The only right answer here is ... go talk to your Dr. And if you don't like what your Dr tells you, talk to another Dr.

If the X-rays were indeed the OPs, and if OP was indeed feeling panic about the situation, why hasn't he gone to the Dr yet?

I've been in "panic" medical situations and have been into a Drs office, walk-in clinic, or emergency room as soon as I could (within minutes, or the next day, depending on the situation). When it reached that stage of concern, I didn't waste time posting on forums about what it possibly be. The fact that he still hasn't been to a Dr (unless I missed that information somewhere along the line) really makes me wonder ...

But meanwhile ... this thread has indeed been very entertaining.

Last edited by Machka; 09-10-12 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 02:16 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
And least we forget, that is what the 41 is all about, entertainment.
Old 09-10-12, 05:22 AM
rangerdavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
And least we forget, that is what the 41 is all about, entertainment.

Awwww, cmon, I've saved thousands in co-pays by seeking medical advice on BF.
Old 09-10-12, 05:56 AM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Still going? Wow.
Old 09-10-12, 10:24 AM
rekmeyata

The whole idea that there is a teensy percentage of a chance this joykid might actually be serious, and thought he could get a serious response from a cycling forum, particularly the Road forum, just really struck me as funny.

I posted several links to medical forums in which he posted the same question (and of course, the only advice they can give is ... go talk to your Dr), but I wonder who else he asked. His grocery clerk? His school teacher?

I think the thread should have been deleted as soon as the OP posted ... or locked shortly thereafter. The only right answer here is ... go talk to your Dr. And if you don't like what your Dr tells you, talk to another Dr.

If the X-rays were indeed the OPs, and if OP was indeed feeling panic about the situation, why hasn't he gone to the Dr yet?

I've been in "panic" medical situations and have been into a Drs office, walk-in clinic, or emergency room as soon as I could (within minutes, or the next day, depending on the situation). When it reached that stage of concern, I didn't waste time posting on forums about what it possibly be. The fact that he still hasn't been to a Dr (unless I missed that information somewhere along the line) really makes me wonder ...

But meanwhile ... this thread has indeed been very entertaining.
I agree with you!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.