Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried the Bike Repair app for I Phones?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Has anyone tried the Bike Repair app for I Phones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 02:09 AM
AdelaaR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I don't know you, but I'm pretty darned sure that if you dig deep enough into the component level, as well as the layers of system level software, there are parts of your computer whose inner working you don't understand. Not saying that you couldn't understand it; just that there are things happening of which you are unaware.
Obviously it is impossible to know every little detail about everything.
The trick is to understand what you need to know to be able to fix it
Old 05-17-11, 11:23 AM
chinarider
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the plunge for 2.99. Actually looks pretty good. Explains some things clearer than other explanations I've seen. Also has links to helpful videos, saving time having to look for them. The developer seems to have worked hard to gather good info in one convenient location. Well worth the 2.99 in my mind, especially if he keeps it up as he seems to intend. If you build bikes from the ground up, it probably won't have much value to you, but if you just dabble in minor stuff, I think most would like it.
Old 05-17-11, 12:14 PM
R_Z

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
I don't understand my wife sometimes.
Wow at least you understand her sometimes. I had to buy this book called Understanding your Wife. I'm half way through and still a bit fuzzy! ;-)
Attached Images
Old 05-17-11, 08:49 PM
tmass
Rides with Scissors

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
It isn't life threathening dangerous by default, but it certainly is more dangerous than not knowing how to do it and how it works.
Riding a bike is as dangerous as driving a race car. Just look at the number of serious injuries and deadly accidents.
But apart from the risk, I simply cannot fathom how people can use something for every day of their life without wanting to know exactly how it works ... but that's just me.
So how does your refrigerator work? A/C system? LCD Tv? The Internet? Cell phone? Thermostat? Do u fly anywhere? Airplane? How is asprin made? Stove?
Old 04-29-13, 09:07 AM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread, but the APP is free for today if you want to download and check it out. It has a pretty comprehensive list of procedures and it should be useful to those who are new to bike maintenance.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bike...382006079?mt=8
Old 04-29-13, 09:44 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tuxbailey
Sorry to bump this old thread, but the APP is free for today if you want to download and check it out. It has a pretty comprehensive list of procedures and it should be useful to those who are new to bike maintenance.
I'm sure it's worth every penny.

Step one is going to be a list of any tools you need. On the road, you need to be able to figure out what to do with what you have.
Old 04-29-13, 11:29 AM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who let all the grumpy gramps into this thread?
Old 06-07-14, 02:33 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Bike Repair app by Atomic Softwares is free again today

The Bike Repair app by Atomic Softwares is free again at the Apple app store today, June 7, 2014.
Old 06-07-14, 02:44 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Free? What the heck I downloaded it!

Thanks for the thread bump with the info~
Old 06-09-14, 01:12 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Picked it up since it was free, thanks.

Seems easy to use, so long as you know what you are looking for. It doesn't really help to troubleshoot, if you don't already know the difference between a h/l/b screw, you have to click on them to get an explanation. Still, clear and concise instructions for just about any thing you can think of (for general maintenance). I think it would be a good app for the average rider who may find themselves replacing a spoke, fixing a loose cable, etc. while out on the road with no one around. Pictures are clear. Overall layout is nice. A lot of thought went into it, clearly, although another edition could still use a few additions.

While it covers a wide number of components, it's mostly just touching the surface, a few examples:

Discusses how to install and remove a chain but doesn't tell you how to size a chain. It suggests reusing a pin, which I think is bad advice. No instruction on how to remove a quick-link.
Discusses basic adjustments for a v-brake but doesn't mention adjusting the spring position (only mentions the adjusting screw).
Discusses adjusting hub bearings, but doesn't go into any detail regarding how to repack the bearings. Yet it does tell you how to remove a Mavic free-hub...(?)
No information about repacking a non-cartridge square taper bottom bracket.
How to remove/install a tire is basic... probably too basic to be helpful for anyone that struggles with this task. Lots of little tips/tricks could be added, aside from what the author suggests i.e. just using a lever. No mention of lining up the bead in the narrow-center to minimize how much you need to stretch the tire, for example.

I could go on. So it's helpful, but there's definitely room for improvement. It's not a mechanic in your pocket, more like useful advice from a friend in a pinch. Probably worth a few bucks. Definitely worth a free download. I won't be using it, but I might suggest it to friends.
Old 06-09-14, 01:20 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
I can not understand how people dare ride on things through traffic and down steep hills without comprehending every little detail about aforementioned things.
And how on earth do people manage to go around corners without understanding countersteering?