Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you guys/gals have CF or Aluminum Bikes as well?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 01:08 AM
MookieBlaylock

Bikes: 1990 Miyata 914, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have seen comments related to this, so sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. I'm sure many of you have experienced this, but I went into a few LBS to talk about something new for my wife. I ride steel because it is more comfortable to me than Aluminum, and I feel it unnecessary to drop a bunch of money on a bike that is supposed to be for exercise. Anyways, after talking to the people at the bike shops, I left thinking I am missing out on new technology.

I don't go on competitive group rides, and I'm not obsessed with the cycling scene. I just don't know what I am missing out on. I ride a hard 15-20 miles, and that wears me out. Do you guys/gals have other bikes besides vintage steel? If so, why do you like it? Does it make you want to ride more? Carbon Fiber feels like a cloud, but I just don't see the need to make the jump. It's peer pressure, I admit.
Old 04-29-18, 01:39 AM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I've had carbon, titanium, aluminum, and steel but currently just have aluminum and steel. I don't think the frame material is the biggest factor, I think it's components. Handlebar shape and lever ergonomics are one of the big differences for me, along with easier shifting while climbing with brifters.
Old 04-29-18, 05:28 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
If it makes you happy, material choice is irrelevant. If you are worn out at 15-20 miles, it is entirely about you and has nothing to do with the bike.
Old 04-29-18, 05:40 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
^^ This.
I ride vintage steel and vintage aluminum and speed and endurance is directly tied to my physical condition and training.
Last year bought a carbon Canyon 11 speed with STI for local fast club rides, and while it makes it slightly easier for me to keep up with the pack, I don't feel I'm losing out when not riding it.
Old 04-29-18, 05:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have four carbon fiber bikes and seven steel bikes. The steel bikes are excellent, and provide excellent performance. The carbon bikes offer some features I consider to be important, including the ability to fit fatter tires and disc brakes while keeping total weight to less than 19 lbs.

I recently purchased a Canyon Endurace which has a carbon frameset, hydraulic disc brakes, 2x11 drivetrain and can fit 700x32 tires. It's an appealing combination of race-bike responsiveness and sport bike comfortable.

Modern bikes offer incremental improvements in materials, gearing, braking and can run a super smooth and fast tire at comfortable air pressures. I enjoy saving older racing bikes from neglect and I'm rewarded with a lively performance while riding my steel bikes. However, modern carbon bikes can deliver enhanced performance and versatility.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-29-18 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 06:01 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
I had and aluminum frame. Hated it. Not responsive and very springy. I rode a friends CF. It just felt dead. Like I couldn't feel the road.
Feeling worn out after 15-20 miles can be more from how well the bike fits you than the material it is made from.
Old 04-29-18, 06:28 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The carbon bikes offer some features I consider to be important, including the ability to fit fatter tires ...
When I first saw this I read it as "the ability to fix flatter tires" and I wondered how one tire could be flatter than another.

To answer the original question, noop. No carbon, no alunimunium. Just steel.
Old 04-29-18, 06:29 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
The 14 lb bike climbs better but doesn’t descend nearly as well for some reason. I definitely think that it is faster overall, but on longer rides I prefer the flexibility of my steel frame bikes. In my case it really is a straight comparison since the wheels and group were on my custom steel frame last year.

Each has advantages but the steel frames are more righter feeling mostly. Might have to do with what my teeth were cut on though...
Old 04-29-18, 06:31 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
No.
Old 04-29-18, 06:35 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Steel, plus a carbon hardtail mountain bike. I had an aluminum road bike but did not like the sound of it. How's that for a critique?
Old 04-29-18, 06:44 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
I have an aluminum department store Nishiki road bike. Bought as full aluminum. After replacing the fork, stem, handlebars, and seat post, it's very comfortable to ride now. Almost as much so as my steel road bikes. I recently completed a 200k on it, and I felt great afterwards.
Old 04-29-18, 06:53 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Have one aluminum, a Casati, and I really like it. Rode it Tuesday. Have one magnesium, rode it yesterday; it's nice and smooth. Have a titanium, just to complete the metal superfecta. This goes along with lots of steel, I'll ride one of those today. I've never ridden a full carbon frame.

But I agree with the comment above, it's more about components. Modern components do provide some advantages, particularly over the varied terrain I have around here. But much of the difference is just that many of my older components have more wear, and don't operate near as crisply.

And do make sure your bike fits you, your riding style and your fitness level. Don't let a shop try to put you in a racer fit.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 04-29-18, 07:25 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
I have had three aluminum bikes over the years and have been perfectly happy with the ride quality. I gave one to my stepson because it was a bit too small for me, I sold one because I was not riding it (lull in riding, not because I did not like it) and I still have the other. I ride steel because I just like the way the way the smaller tubes look. I ride vintage steel because I like the challenge of buying an inexpensive frame of good quality and building a bike out of it.
Old 04-29-18, 07:53 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
I have a Yeti SB5 plus which features a 5.5 pound CF frameset.

I could care less about the tech that goes into the bike.

However, I do care about the ride and the feeling of control as I hit the trails here in Minnesota.

It's an incredible confidence booster, let me tell you.

After riding the last two summers in Moab and Fruita, I can't wait to get this baby out there for the first time.

It handles a much wider tire than my old SB5, so I'm pretty pumped to see what that does as well.

https://www.yeticycles.com/bikes/sb5-plus
Old 04-29-18, 08:14 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
I do occasionally and have been loaned modern CF -Felt, Trek, Giant. Super machines. I'm often the mindset of wanting but do come out of the ether. I don't race competitively and honestly can't justify, especially when I feel to 'have earned my workout' after riding some interesting old steel bike. And that includes my satisfaction riding really lower end vintage. Its the soul.

Would I take a modern CF if the price was irresistable -without question. Di2 please. Now if I had the green light, flush with money and pushed to buy a modern CF, I wouldn't. My dough would go to a custom fitted builder -steel with classic modern vibe.

As for aluminum and in my eyes call them modern, have a 1998 Cannondale road drop conversion, brifters, big wide 700c plus Headshock. Most plush riding bike... by far plus all the gears I would ever need. Its quite heavy and think it looks ugly. But its a great bike in other respects. Bike is mint and cost the same as a fine pair of tubular tires.

On the same 'path', got rid of a modern 2010 Giant rapid-1. Aluminum hydroformed with carbon fork. Like the above, converted to a drop bar. Terrific all round rider, set it up and made changes, used it for various events. Single long day events, gravel roads, hill climb territory, etc.. fit 32c / 700 and very capable. Great one would think but for longer saddle time, its harsh. Came in at 19 lbs. this bike like the above cost the same as a fine pair of tubular. Mint condition, away it went and in came a 79 Colnago. No brainer.

Edit: Allow me to rephrase 'no brainer'. Current project is maddening to likely crazy. Very early as in first US production Ti (incl. fork), with some interesting components, gearing for climbing walls to tall for wind on your tailside flats. Known as whippy and prone to breakage, I want to experience the vintage exotic, much like many want to experience the modern top tier exotic.

With that -go for it and happy riding

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-29-18 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 09:50 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I have three aluminums in my herd but to tell you the truth, I don't really care what a bike is made out of. Just as long as I'm happy with the ride, I'm good.
Old 04-29-18, 11:29 AM
MookieBlaylock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
If you are worn out at 15-20 miles, it is entirely about you and has nothing to do with the bike.
I'm not sure what this means.
Old 04-29-18, 11:40 AM
jtbadge

Bikes: Newish steel.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Those thinking steel is the only material worth riding need to try more modern aluminum. I has a CAAD10 and loved it, but the fit wasn't right, so I passed it on. Now my main road bike is a Rock Lobster with aluminum tubes. Lightweight for climbing, stiff with immediate power transfer, but the large diameter tubes eat up road buzz. Most comfortable bike I've ever owned, and I've ridden a stack of steel bikes before getting here.

Old 04-29-18, 11:48 AM
MookieBlaylock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I have four carbon fiber bikes and seven steel bikes. The steel bikes are excellent, and provide excellent performance. The carbon bikes offer some features I consider to be important, including the ability to fit fatter tires and disc brakes while keeping total weight to less than 19 lbs.

I recently purchased a Canyon Endurace which has a carbon frameset, hydraulic disc brakes, 2x11 drivetrain and can fit 700x32 tires. It's an appealing combination of race-bike responsiveness and sport bike comfortable.

Modern bikes offer incremental improvements in materials, gearing, braking and can run a super smooth and fast tire at comfortable air pressures. I enjoy saving older racing bikes from neglect and I'm rewarded with a lively performance while riding my steel bikes. However, modern carbon bikes can deliver enhanced performance and versatility.
The gearing options is something that is appealing. I think I have a 13x24 right now. I also don't have the need to accommodate the wide tires that you mentioned. I guess that's why I feel content on steel. My bikes fit 25mm with the exception of one in the front. I like the challenge and the hunt to fix up a bike that once was the best of its day.
Old 04-29-18, 11:51 AM
MookieBlaylock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtbadge
Those thinking steel is the only material worth riding need to try more modern aluminum. I has a CAAD10 and loved it, but the fit wasn't right, so I passed it on. Now my main road bike is a Rock Lobster with aluminum tubes. Lightweight for climbing, stiff with immediate power transfer, but the large diameter tubes eat up road buzz. Most comfortable bike I've ever owned, and I've ridden a stack of steel bikes before getting here.

That's interesting that you mentioned the CAAD10. That is the bike that I was reading about yesterday that some people compare the ride quality much closer to carbon than what used to be the common belief.
Old 04-29-18, 11:51 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I have one carbon fiber bike and two steel bikes that I ride regularly. The cf bike is ten years old, the steel bikes are twenty-three and thirty-four-years old. I bought the cf frame used, an ex demo in pristine condition, mainly out of curiosity. It does dampen road buzz, but it is also jarringly stiff on seems in the pavement or potholes. All in all comfort levels seem to even out. More road buzz on steel, but they are springier on rough roads. Being stiffer and about four pounds lighter than either of the steel bikes I can average slightly faster speeds on the cf. That being said, on mostly flat roads my fastest bike is steel.

The only aluminum bike I've ever had was a mid-range Raleigh cyclocross bike that never quite felt right, but that was due as much to geometry as to frame material. I was using mostly as a foul weather bike on the road. As a cx bike it probably would have been fine.

In short, it's all good. Fit and fitness are what really count.
Old 04-29-18, 11:56 AM
MookieBlaylock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
I do occasionally and have been loaned modern CF -Felt, Trek, Giant. Super machines. I'm often the mindset of wanting but do come out of the ether. I don't race competitively and honestly can't justify, especially when I feel to 'have earned my workout' after riding some interesting old steel bike. And that includes my satisfaction riding really lower end vintage. Its the soul.

Would I take a modern CF if the price was irresistable -without question. Di2 please. Now if I had the green light, flush with money and pushed to buy a modern CF, I wouldn't. My dough would go to a custom fitted builder -steel with classic modern vibe.

As for aluminum and in my eyes call them modern, have a 1998 Cannondale road drop conversion, brifters, big wide 700c plus Headshock. Most plush riding bike... by far plus all the gears I would ever need. Its quite heavy and think it looks ugly. But its a great bike in other respects. Bike is mint and cost the same as a fine pair of tubular tires.

On the same 'path', got rid of a modern 2010 Giant rapid-1. Aluminum hydroformed with carbon fork. Like the above, converted to a drop bar. Terrific all round rider, set it up and made changes, used it for various events. Single long day events, gravel roads, hill climb territory, etc.. fit 32c / 700 and very capable. Great one would think but for longer saddle time, its harsh. Came in at 19 lbs. this bike like the above cost the same as a fine pair of tubular. Mint condition, away it went and in came a 79 Colnago. No brainer.

Edit: Allow me to rephrase 'no brainer'. Current project is maddening to likely crazy. Very early as in first US production Ti (incl. fork), with some interesting components, gearing for climbing walls to tall for wind on your tailside flats. Known as whippy and prone to breakage, I want to experience the vintage exotic, much like many want to experience the modern top tier exotic.

With that -go for it and happy riding
I like that mentality.
Old 04-29-18, 11:59 AM
MookieBlaylock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I have a Yeti SB5 plus which features a 5.5 pound CF frameset.

I could care less about the tech that goes into the bike.

However, I do care about the ride and the feeling of control as I hit the trails here in Minnesota.

It's an incredible confidence booster, let me tell you.

After riding the last two summers in Moab and Fruita, I can't wait to get this baby out there for the first time.

It handles a much wider tire than my old SB5, so I'm pretty pumped to see what that does as well.

https://www.yeticycles.com/bikes/sb5-plus
The confidence booster is appealing, I must admit. I'd like to see what I can do on a newer bike, but then I'd be content and wonder why I spent the money. Ha
Old 04-29-18, 01:19 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
I'm not sure what this means.
Changing bike materials won't make you any less worn out. Only changing your fitness will.
Old 04-29-18, 01:28 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
The confidence booster is appealing, I must admit. I'd like to see what I can do on a newer bike, but then I'd be content and wonder why I spent the money. Ha
The new mtbs are interesting.

For example, my SB5 plus has 5" of travel in the rear suspension.

In my case, it's not about speed. It's about keeping rubber on the trails and rocks for maneuvers and braking.

Definitely enhances stability, at least in my case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.