Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Patrol Bike

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Patrol Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 03:20 PM
rdlange

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Patrol Bike

https://survivalblog.com/2023/06/06/...e-kim-kipling/
Old 06-07-23, 10:47 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
peddling preppers. yep, we got those, too.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 06-08-23, 05:18 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I didn't quite read the whole thing, but I would say that the dude needs to think a little bit more about both front and rear racks. Attach to the frame, man. You don't want to rely on a seatpost clamp when the commies come for you.
Likes For brianinc-ville:
Old 06-09-23, 05:39 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Olive Drab and flat black are invisibility cloaks, just like a Klingon bird of prey.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 07-26-23, 12:51 PM
Uspsated

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Needs a Punisher Logo
Old 07-27-23, 07:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Uspsated
Needs a Punisher Logo
This bike that I had in Kandahar was nothing special but did have a neat logo.

Old 07-28-23, 07:27 AM
ATL720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
I always wondered why there weren't more (or any) bikes in zombie apocalypse movies. Everyone's driving cars like nothing changed. Can't think of any that feature a bicycle.
Old 07-29-23, 08:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by ATL720
I always wondered why there weren't more (or any) bikes in zombie apocalypse movies. Everyone's driving cars like nothing changed. Can't think of any that feature a bicycle.
Bicycles aren't "featured" in the 1982 movie Blade Runner, but I remember that they made an appearance in some of the street scenes of an LA in the future.
Old 08-02-23, 05:55 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Something like this for the "heavy load"

https://electrek.co/2023/07/18/briti...ket-launchers/

Old 03-08-24, 02:01 AM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
This bike that I had in Kandahar was nothing special but did have a neat logo.

Oysh. S&W has branded and sold all kinds of consumer goods they don't actually make, which is a shame, because their revolvers, at least when I sampled some in the 1980s, were fantastic quality, so this is real brand dilution. How good a bike can that be, with a one-piece steel ashtabula crank, horizontal dropouts (to compensate for poor frame alignment in manufacturing), and most probably a claw-mount rear derailleur on the other side? Walmart quality in a battle zone. Well at least, no big loss if stolen or left behind in a bugout.
Old 03-08-24, 08:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
How good a bike can that be, with a one-piece steel ashtabula crank, horizontal dropouts (to compensate for poor frame alignment in manufacturing), and most probably a claw-mount rear derailleur on the other side? Walmart quality in a battle zone. Well at least, no big loss if stolen or left behind in a bugout.
Good enough!

A utility bike needs to be available and good enough to get around, priced right (free) and have no need for LBS provenance or bragging rights. These available bikes served me well with no fuss or muss while working on large bases in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Old 03-08-24, 09:14 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
This dude gets it. We could debate the specific merits of his bike, but if the zombie apocalypse hit, a bike is the best mode of transportation. Cars and trucks rely to a large extent on roads, bridges, and fuel. They are generally stopped by traffic, roadblocks, or electromagnetic attacks.

A bike, on the other hand, can be lashed on your vehicle and cannot readily be stopped, even if the vehicle is. The bike can even be carried through water, lifted over obstacles, rafted downriver, etc.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 03-09-24, 03:35 AM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Yeah... sorta. I agree that a bike is great for emergency situations. And I agree that in a war zone, where things could get stolen, need to be left behind, etc, and not needing to bike far, a cheap bike is the way to go. But it's completely contrary to the philosophy of every piece of military equipment, which is durability and function when it counts. If I have to traverse a long area in an emergency, I want a bike that won't let me down. Now, doesn't need to be a handmade boutique tourer, but not walmart quality either; Needs good quality frame, notably with good dropouts and not very thin and just crimped or spot welded in place, and good quality parts.
Old 03-09-24, 09:57 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Yeah... sorta. I agree that a bike is great for emergency situations. And I agree that in a war zone, where things could get stolen, need to be left behind, etc, and not needing to bike far, a cheap bike is the way to go. But it's completely contrary to the philosophy of every piece of military equipment, which is durability and function when it counts. If I have to traverse a long area in an emergency, I want a bike that won't let me down. Now, doesn't need to be a handmade boutique tourer, but not walmart quality either; Needs good quality frame, notably with good dropouts and not very thin and just crimped or spot welded in place, and good quality parts.
The most recent successful use of bicycles in military operations has been for carrying cargo by troops/porters through extremely difficult terrain, specifically the Japanese in the Malay Peninsula in WW2, and the Vietnamese post WW2.

Heavy duty cargo carrying capability and availability (including whatever bicycles could be stolen from the civilian populations in occupied countries in the case of European WW2 operations) was probably the primary philosophy in selecting bicycle equipment for military use for the past 80 years. Pictures are extracted from The Military History of The Bicycle by John Norris