Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gizzmo to interfer with cell phones, is there?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-08, 03:37 PM
jim6b

Bikes: Giant OCR 3, Bontrager, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drivers using cell phones are a prob. Was wondering whether anyone knew of a gizzmo that a rider could use that would interfere with a cell phone operation?
Old 08-16-08, 03:39 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What happens if said driver runs you over while trying to get said cellphone working? Talk about increasing the distraction space...
Old 08-16-08, 03:42 PM
CaboWabo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EMP...that should keep the cars from starting in the first place.
Old 08-16-08, 03:46 PM
jim6b

Bikes: Giant OCR 3, Bontrager, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
What happens if said driver runs you over while trying to get said cellphone working? Talk about increasing the distraction space...
But how many times are you passing a car? My bike has breaks. And I don't know the driver is a PITA on the phone until they are past me.
Old 08-16-08, 03:50 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaboWabo
EMP...that should keep the cars from starting in the first place.
Sadly, no!

Another "myth" that seems to have grown up with information on EMP is that nearly all cars and trucks would be "knocked out" by EMP. This seems logical, but is one of those cases where "real world" experiments contradict theoretical answers and I'm afraid this is the case with cars and EMP. According to sources working at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, cars have proven to be resistant to EMP in actual tests using nuclear weapons as well as during more recent tests (with newer cars) with the US Military's EMP simulators.

One reason for the ability of a car to resist EMP lies in the fact that its metal body is "insulated" by its rubber tires from the ground. This creates a Faraday cage of sorts. (Drawing on the analogy of EMP being similar to lightning, it is interesting to note that cases of lightning striking and damaging cars is almost non-existent; this apparently carries over to EMP effects on vehicles as well.)

Although Faraday boxes are generally made so that what is inside doesn't touch the box's outer metal shield (and this is especially important for the do-it-yourself since it is easy to inadvertently ground the Faraday box—say by putting the box on metal shelving sitting on a concrete floor), in the case of the car the "grounded" wiring is grounded only to the battery. In practice, the entire system is not grounded in the traditional electrical wiring sense of actually making contact to the earth at some point in its circuitry. Rather the car is sitting on insulators made of rubber.

It is important to note that cars are NOT 100 percent EMP proof; some cars will most certainly be affected, especially those with fibreglass bodies or located near large stretches of metal. (I suspect, too, that recent cars with a high percentage of IC circuitry might also be more susceptible to EMP effects.)

The bottom line is that all vehicles probably won't be knocked out by EMP. But the prudent survivalist should make a few contingency plans "just in case" his car (and other electrical equipment) does not survive the effects of EMP. Discovering that you have one of the few cars knocked out would not be a good way to start the onset of terrorist attack or nuclear war.

Most susceptible to EMP damage would be cars with a lot of IC circuits or other "computers" to control essential changes in the engine. The very prudent may wish to buy spare electronic ignition parts and keep them a car truck (perhaps inside a Faraday box). But it seems probable that many vehicles WILL be working following the start of a nuclear war even if no precautions have been taken with them.
https://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/EMP.protection.html
Old 08-16-08, 03:53 PM
CaboWabo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's worth a shot.

Btw I'm fairly certain there's no device that does this and if there was it would probably be illegal for civilian use.
Old 08-16-08, 04:09 PM
the_mac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's worth a shot.

Btw I'm fairly certain there's no device that does this and if there was it would probably be illegal for civilian use.
They exist, though legality depends on where you live, where you're using it, and how.
https://www.phonejammer.com/ (or any other similar site, they're just the first google link).

The portable ones and the ones that could be made portable are only good for about 60 feet though, and I'd hate to have a driver drop signal right as they're cruising towards me, only to start fiddling with the phone.
Old 08-16-08, 04:25 PM
CaboWabo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figured a device actually "existed" for the purpose, but figured it wouldn't be available to the public. Looks like most of those devices are for settings like a church or movie theater, some where that they can justify (legally) having it.

Having one in your pocket while you're riding your bike is probably not what it's meant for, although I doubt any one would ever figure it out. Like the_mac said I would hate to have some joker lose signal and look down just 60ft before he passes me.
Old 08-16-08, 04:28 PM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually years ago I heard about them in Japan because of the rude behavior in public places. Searched the web for cell phone jammers and found some but not imported to the US due to FCC crap.
Old 08-16-08, 04:29 PM
Randallissimo
Wilma!!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'd likely be breaking federal law by interfering with a cell phone transmission.
Old 08-16-08, 04:34 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
It's called a cell phone jammer.

It's illegal to use in Canada at least. You can buy them online at various places. As for disconnecting people driving using their phones. I'm not sure which is worse, them talking, or them looking at their phone wondering why the hell they've just been disconnected.
Old 08-16-08, 04:56 PM
ilmooz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once heard of someone who got his jollies jamming radio frequencies at a model airplane flying field in order to crash planes. Fate dealt him in one day when an out of control plane smashed into his own car shattering his driver's window and spraying him with glass shards. When people came over to see if he was OK they observed the little radio jammer in his car and proceeded to beat him within an inch of his life.

Use caution when tempting fate.
Old 08-16-08, 05:09 PM
EvilPhish
Perpetually Amused

Bikes: Bianchi 1885 Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my small jammer a few years ago and loved it so much I purchased a larger unit a few months later.

I haven't had a movie, dinner, book shopping or park experience interrupted in years.
Old 08-16-08, 05:22 PM
bonti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilPhish
I bought my small jammer a few years ago and loved it so much I purchased a larger unit a few months later.

I haven't had a movie, dinner, book shopping or park experience interrupted in years.
Not that I believe this, but have you thought about people making emergency calls. Or a hospital contacting a doctor. Oh, did I say "think"? Sorry.
Old 08-16-08, 05:35 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilPhish

Those things are known to cause sterility in men, right?
Old 08-16-08, 05:39 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnny99
Are we talking about saddles, cell phones, or jammers?
Old 08-16-08, 05:40 PM
bonti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
True. They hinder testosterone production and encourage extra estrogen production.
Old 08-16-08, 06:33 PM
kellyjdrummer

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jim6b
But how many times are you passing a car? My bike has breaks. And I don't know the driver is a PITA on the phone until they are past me.
If your bike has breaks, you shouldn't be riding it. Get those breaks fixed.

Old 08-17-08, 01:00 PM
EvilPhish
Perpetually Amused

Bikes: Bianchi 1885 Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonti
Not that I believe this, but have you thought about people making emergency calls. Or a hospital contacting a doctor. Oh, did I say "think"? Sorry.
I put as much thought into jamming other people's ability to make calls as they put into making and receiving calls in inappropriate places.

Special circumstance people (those on call for example) should pay closer attention to the signal strength display on their phones if it's that important.
Old 08-17-08, 01:07 PM
Colonelmom

Bikes: Giant, Jamis fixie, Orbea Orca; Ceverlo P2SL TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's worth a shot.

There is such a thing... we used them in Iraq to jam the signal.... they were using cell phones to detonate IEDs
Old 08-17-08, 01:12 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feasible, yes. I know of at least one DIY guide.

Logical/Useful/Good Idea? No.
Old 08-17-08, 01:26 PM
kellyjdrummer

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Just stay out of my neighborhood.

Old 08-17-08, 01:37 PM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonti
How on earth did we survive emergency situations 20 years ago without cell phones!
Old 08-17-08, 01:39 PM
CharlieWoo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. It's called a .357
Old 08-17-08, 01:55 PM
freeskihp
70mm4$!n!

Bikes: Sworks E5, ritte Bosberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jens5
How on earth did we survive emergency situations 20 years ago without cell phones!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.