Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Would this bike be good for me? (A new road bike rider)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 10:08 PM
ssbaudi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Bike Forums!

Been a lurker for the last few weeks and doing lots of research on the in's and out's of road bikes and I found a bike on Craigslist that has caught my interest. It is a 2008 Giant TCR AO that looks to be in phenomenal condition, with quality components. The link is here - https://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik/3203375791.html

As a rider who is experienced with bike riding but relatively new to road cycling, is this too much bike for me? If not, is the price on this one right?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-12, 10:12 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Nice bike.

No Warranty if the frame is cracked.

Old 09-05-12, 02:55 AM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it hard to recommend secondhand/craigslist for anyone new into road cycling. I don't know how knowledgeable you are, but I imagine most people starting out do not even know what frame size they should be riding. In my opinion, spend the extra money and get some advice at a good bike shop, try some different models, and find out what you like.

The only time I would recommend getting something 2nd hand of a random stranger is if you buy something cheap, just to see whether you even enjoy cycling, or if there are specific things you are after that you can not get from the shops (like vintage models). Anything 1000+, even someone like me who owns multiple bikes and has a pretty good grasp on what he likes..... I would go to a shop. That said, it is up to you. Some people have had great success buying second hand. Just know that there is some degree if risk involves. The biggest risk, is not that the bike is not ok, but that the bike is not the one you needed.

You can get better components for a given amount of money secondhand, but in my experience that is still secondary to bike fit and having control over maintenance of the bike.

Last edited by Cookiemonsta; 09-05-12 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-05-12, 03:01 AM
ssbaudi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cookiemonsta
I find it hard to recommend secondhand/craigslist for anyone new into road cycling. I don't know how knowledgeable you are, but I imagine most people starting out do not even know what frame size they should be riding. In my opinion, spend the extra money and get some advice at a good bike shop, try some different models, and find out what you like.
I have spent a few hours at the many different bike shops in Corvallis and have in fact been fitted on a few bikes. The ones I tried were the Trek 1.2, the Giant Defy, and a Fuji Altamira. I seem to have been recommended a size M/L or 56cm, depending on how the brand sizes frames. What I'm mostly trying to gather with this post was to see if a compact framed 'race' oriented bike would suit me as a somewhat new rider or if It would bring too many challenges along with it. My budget is around 1k-1.5k and I feel like buying from a second party would allow me to get a better bike for that amount, considering of course that the owner took care of the bike
Old 09-05-12, 03:27 AM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ssbaudi
I have spent a few hours at the many different bike shops in Corvallis and have in fact been fitted on a few bikes. The ones I tried were the Trek 1.2, the Giant Defy, and a Fuji Altamira. I seem to have been recommended a size M/L or 56cm, depending on how the brand sizes frames. What I'm mostly trying to gather with this post was to see if a compact framed 'race' oriented bike would suit me as a somewhat new rider or if It would bring too many challenges along with it. My budget is around 1k-1.5k and I feel like buying from a second party would allow me to get a better bike for that amount, considering of course that the owner took care of the bike
Alright got it. It is a hard question to answer. The way a bike feels to a person is so personal and subjective, I dont think anyone is able to tell you whether this specific bike works for you or not. The difference between aggressive and relaxed geometry can be significant, but you still cant tell which would work for a person. Especially not knowing what the intended use is (touring / racing ? ), how flexible you are, etc.

I do not see anything specific that would keep a relatively new rider from enjoying it. When thinking about whether the geometry fits you or not, I go back to my previous comment, you can only find out by trying. Given that you have tried out other bikes with different geometries, I think you are in a position where you can make the evaluation yourself since you have something you can compare it to. Unfortunately (or fortunately) you are in the best position to make this judgement. I would tell the seller you would have to sit on it and see what it feels like before committing to buying it. Given his description of the bike, I would expect him to understand.

Last edited by Cookiemonsta; 09-05-12 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-05-12, 08:26 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ssbaudi
What I'm mostly trying to gather with this post was to see if a compact framed 'race' oriented bike would suit me as a somewhat new rider or if It would bring too many challenges along with it.
What challenges are you expecting? If the fit is fine, you really shouldn't have any challenges except how to post your MUP races and average times on the 41.
Old 09-05-12, 01:19 PM
ssbaudi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, you two! I'll go check it out this weekend and see how it fits.

The last reason I posted this is just to see if anyone has had any experience with the TCR A0 - I've done a lot of google searching but haven't found much in the way of user reviews of this bike in particular.
Old 09-05-12, 01:23 PM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Good luck in your search for the bike. I got mine through CL too and it has been a great find.

I would suggest that after getting your bike (in CL), take it back to the shop that gave you the best service and get a proper fit. Since they didn't get a sale from you after doing the fit, bike showing, etc., at least you can go back and give them the business for bike fit, accessories, etc.
Old 09-05-12, 10:51 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO, $1500 can also buy a pretty nice new bike at the local shop. (Cannondale CAAD10, Specialized Allez, Trek Madone 2?) You assume some risk by buying second hand whereas you'll get warranty and other support for a new bike from a shop. Having said that, the last 2 bikes that I bought were second hand/used too...