Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Steven Hodge, VP of Cycling Australia admits to doping during his career and resigns.

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Steven Hodge, VP of Cycling Australia admits to doping during his career and resigns.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 03:57 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...doping/?cs=309

I used to race in the same amateur cycling club as Steven, The Canberra Amateur Cycling Club, although he's a few years older than me so I never raced against him directly. He's a great guy.

Anthony
Old 10-19-12, 04:16 PM
Jed19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, the blood-letting is gonna last a while. And all over the world too.
Old 10-19-12, 05:43 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sure hope you weren't surprised. He was one of the Festina boys after all
Old 10-19-12, 06:56 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCA
I sure hope you weren't surprised. He was one of the Festina boys after all
To be honest Stevens career was early on before I hardly knew of the TdF let alone follow it. I was racing as a Juvenile/Junior at the time. It doesn't really surprise me how deep doping was/is in cycling. Its been unofficially known for long enough.

Anthony
Old 10-19-12, 06:56 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I've met Hodge, back in 2002, when he was a participant in a cycling conference in Canberra that I attended. He was affable and knowledgeable in terms of the cycling advocacy we were discussing.

It's a shame to see people so high in the sport in Australia such as Hodge and Matt White fall on their swords. But it must help clean up the sport, and now that John Fahey, who heads up WADA, has picked up on the (now-backed-away-from) Cycling Australia suggestion for an amnesty for dopers, we may find some more cleansing come out of it.

Unfortunately, I don't think Armstrong will be among them. I feel that he will end up in jail because of all this (based on false testimony), and he will still be in denial and play the victim from his cell.
Old 10-20-12, 11:45 AM
Rowan

Now this debacle created by Armstrong is taking on a new perspective with the Australian Government contemplating an inquiry into the operation of Cycling Australia and to determine the depth of this issue, something it has a right to do, based on the considerable public funding the organisation receives each year.
Old 10-20-12, 06:45 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rowan
Now this debacle created by Armstrong is taking on a new perspective with the Australian Government contemplating an inquiry into the operation of Cycling Australia and to determine the depth of this issue, something it has a right to do, based on the considerable public funding the organisation receives each year.
How on earth was this "debacle created by Armstrong"? Because he didn't admit to usage sooner? He still hasn't? Doping existed before he ever came along. And, has continued in his absence?

And guess what, after the mass professional cleansing, the field will be fresh for a new crop of individuals willing to push just a little closer to or beyond that line.
Old 10-20-12, 08:53 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by bigfred
How on earth was this "debacle created by Armstrong"? Because he didn't admit to usage sooner? He still hasn't? Doping existed before he ever came along. And, has continued in his absence?

And guess what, after the mass professional cleansing, the field will be fresh for a new crop of individuals willing to push just a little closer to or beyond that line.
Yes and yes and yes to your second, third and fourth questions.

The impact of the highly crafted, long-term deceptions employed by Armstrong, Ferrari and their cronies virtually gave other teams a licence to dope.

The result is dead cyclists, people whose careers both as riders and administrators have been ruined, and a persisting concept that originates and is perpetuated that winning is all that matters, at all cost.

It saddens me to think that not even the heroics of one of my own countrymen, Cadel Evans, two years ago, are now under a shadow... because of what you say in your last paragraph. And even Wiggins' victories this year are being regarded with suspicion... because of what you say in your last paragraph.

And it call comes back to Armstrong.
Old 10-20-12, 09:55 PM
Rowan

Anyway, I have a strong feeling that Armstrong is going to end up in jail. The principle factor is not that he doped, but that he lied about it and gained a financial advantage out of what was then fraudulent activity.

As I implied, it's now sad that everyone involved in any form of high-level performance cycling will be suspected of doping. Any young rider who does put in the hard work to improve himself or herself is now a target of the doping tar-brush, whether he or she deserves it or not.

It is at a point where all faith in competitive road cycling from the public perspective will disappear.

Do you find this a satisfactory outcome from this episode that has Armstrong as its central figure?

Last edited by Juha; 10-21-12 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-20-12, 10:47 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rowan, you must think an awful lot of Lance to suggest that he is singularly responsible for so much.

As far as I can tell, cyclings dubious record began long before Armstrong and has continued since. And yes, look at Cadel affiliations, look at the depth of strength across Sky and the substantial improvement in form some of their riders made over the last 12 months.

Armstrong, his DS, DX or anyone else didn't give any other "license" to dope. The game predates them. They simply outclassed all the other amateurs in the way they administered it. In a really warped way it almost makes the guy more admirable. Instead of breaking the rules in a half assed sort of want to, sort of don't, kind of way, he basically took the all in approach. "If we're going to do this, we're going to do it right," so to speak.

And let's face it. His success was good for way more than just himself. Do you honestly think that ASO and the UCI weren't both very pleased to see an massive increase of interest from the very valuable North American market?

Hodge shouldn't have done it. Neither should have Whitey. Nor Lance. Or, Merckx. Or, name them all. But, you know what. It's as much a "professional enterprise" as it is about sport. And, they "the professionals" make judgement calls about the opportunity cost of their actions on a daily basis. They stretch the rules and break the rules based on the percieved reward vs the possible judgement.

We (the fans) applaud the players of our team sports for "taking the good foul". Aren't we truly to blame? Think about it. We the fans are responsible for this. If we quit watching the coverage, if their wasn't moeny it, then it could be about sport for the pure sake of athleticism. But, we can't help ourselves. We watch, we applaud, we provide a market for advertisers, and with that we dirty sport with money.

There's your route cause. Not Lance, or Johan, or Ferrari.
Old 10-21-12, 06:14 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wonder if one day will fall some high end french rider.
Old 10-21-12, 10:23 AM
Rowan

Rowan, you must think an awful lot of Lance to suggest that he is singularly responsible for so much.

As far as I can tell, cyclings dubious record began long before Armstrong and has continued since. And yes, look at Cadel affiliations, look at the depth of strength across Sky and the substantial improvement in form some of their riders made over the last 12 months.

Armstrong, his DS, DX or anyone else didn't give any other "license" to dope. The game predates them. They simply outclassed all the other amateurs in the way they administered it. In a really warped way it almost makes the guy more admirable. Instead of breaking the rules in a half assed sort of want to, sort of don't, kind of way, he basically took the all in approach. "If we're going to do this, we're going to do it right," so to speak.

And let's face it. His success was good for way more than just himself. Do you honestly think that ASO and the UCI weren't both very pleased to see an massive increase of interest from the very valuable North American market?

Hodge shouldn't have done it. Neither should have Whitey. Nor Lance. Or, Merckx. Or, name them all. But, you know what. It's as much a "professional enterprise" as it is about sport. And, they "the professionals" make judgement calls about the opportunity cost of their actions on a daily basis. They stretch the rules and break the rules based on the percieved reward vs the possible judgement.

We (the fans) applaud the players of our team sports for "taking the good foul". Aren't we truly to blame? Think about it. We the fans are responsible for this. If we quit watching the coverage, if their wasn't moeny it, then it could be about sport for the pure sake of athleticism. But, we can't help ourselves. We watch, we applaud, we provide a market for advertisers, and with that we dirty sport with money.

There's your route cause. Not Lance, or Johan, or Ferrari.
In many ways I don't disagree with you. Yes, doping was endemic in world cycling. And yes, the fans who use the products of the sponsors who sponsor events are involved in the mix, too.

But the fundamental issue that will land Armstrong in jail is that he lied so consistently and so vehemently about it, based on the evidence presented by USADA. He conned himself, he conned his sponsors, and he conned his fans. Worst of all, he conned cancer sufferers and their families.

The fact he took PEDs is now becoming almost irrelevant, (as you point out, because his fans are making it that way) but the deception is what lingers.

The most significant issue that I see is that this continued attitude of acceptance to doping will trickle down through the ranks to even juniors. One of the things that tripped up Matt White apparently is that he took a young rider "to a doctor".

Putting the deception aside, the seeming acceptance by many of Armstrong's actions and his successful cover-up now means some parents will see little to stop them from cheating with their kids taking PEDs in cycling competition. Hell, Lance did it, and got caught. We can do it because (a) people have accepted Lance did it and he got wealthy off it and (b) we won't be tested because they don't test kids for PEDs and (c) my kid's got talent and could one day make it to the TdF.

I'll add that the most disappointing result for me out of all the recent Olympic Games was Vinokourov winning the road race gold medal. There you have it -- a confirmed doper winning gold. Yeah, right...
Old 10-21-12, 11:21 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Armstrong isn't going to jail over this. The US justice system took a long look and didn't find enough evidence of broken US laws to bring charges. Cheating in sports, especially in sports taking place in another nation, is not a violation of US law. As a US citizen that's all that really matters for LA. Having said that, the fact that the evidence gathered by the US became available to the USADA and is what has blown up the entire Armstrong house of cards means that LA did not fully escape the Feds by any means.

Armstrong's doping may have been sophisticated and cutting edge but you cannot blame doping in general or what is happening in Australia in particular on LA. Those individuals made their choices independent of Armstrong.

LA did what he did but to blame him, even indirectly, for all of the problems in cycling is a gross exaggeration and provides cover to many others who made their own choices and need to live with them.
Old 10-21-12, 11:44 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter
Armstrong isn't going to jail over this. The US justice system took a long look and didn't find enough evidence of broken US laws to bring charges. Cheating in sports, especially in sports taking place in another nation, is not a violation of US law. As a US citizen that's all that really matters for LA. Having said that, the fact that the evidence gathered by the US became available to the USADA and is what has blown up the entire Armstrong house of cards means that LA did not fully escape the Feds by any means.

Armstrong's doping may have been sophisticated and cutting edge but you cannot blame doping in general or what is happening in Australia in particular on LA. Those individuals made their choices independent of Armstrong.

LA did what he did but to blame him, even indirectly, for all of the problems in cycling is a gross exaggeration and provides cover to many others who made their own choices and need to live with them.
At this point that isn't actually clear. No one knows why the case was dropped suddenly despite Novitsky thinking he had solid evidence. Velonews is trying to get files released on the freedom of information act. There are also allegations of improprieties at livestrong, which could also be an undoing. Don't forget they put kingpins away for their actual crimes but for money issues.
Old 10-21-12, 12:33 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Don't forget they put kingpins away NOT for their actual crimes but for money issues.
FIFY

But, yes. That may actually be his undoing. If they can proove something beyond undeclared cash earnings in europe.

But, this thread isn't about LA.

It's about Hodge, Whitey, and all the people who are going to go down as a consequence of Tygart's after the fact case against LA.

The Dutch riders are pretty bummed at the moment.

They're going for prooving that the entire establishment is broken. Which it may well be. But, which is going to cost cycling dearly, in so many ways.

Sometimes it's best to let dead dogs lay (lie).

There are so many ways that Tygart and USADA could have worked toward clean sport, cycling or not, that didn't involve this sort of loss to so many.

Potentially the largest shame to this entire period will be that "seemingly" innocent riders are now loosing their jobs. Good going USADA. Good going Travis. You prooved what we already knew. Now, what do you propose to do that will "prevent" such a set of circumstances from reoccuring?
Old 10-21-12, 12:45 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
FIFY

But, yes. That may actually be his undoing. If they can proove something beyond undeclared cash earnings in europe.

But, this thread isn't about LA.

It's about Hodge, Whitey, and all the people who are going to go down as a consequence of Tygart's after the fact case against LA.

The Dutch riders are pretty bummed at the moment.

They're going for prooving that the entire establishment is broken. Which it may well be. But, which is going to cost cycling dearly, in so many ways.

Sometimes it's best to let dead dogs lay (lie).

There are so many ways that Tygart and USADA could have worked toward clean sport, cycling or not, that didn't involve this sort of loss to so many.

Potentially the largest shame to this entire period will be that "seemingly" innocent riders are now loosing their jobs. Good going USADA. Good going Travis. You prooved what we already knew. Now, what do you propose to do that will "prevent" such a set of circumstances from reoccuring?
There are statute of limitations for most crimes in the USA for a reason. There is however an obligation as a civilized society to make sure "cheaters/fraudsters" are outed for what they are, when their cheating is discovered. Nobody is saying LA should go to jail, but we owe it to ourselves and our kids to expose him for the "fraud" that he is. Otherwise, we might as well pack it in, call it a day, and keep mouthing platitudes about "ethics" to ourselves and our kids. That is the real issue.
Old 10-21-12, 12:48 PM
Rowan

Sorry, but if there is one single sworn statement that Armstrong has made to any court, he is in strife, if he cannot prove the mountain evidence against him is false. It's this that will get him, not necessarily the doping.

There are many who are living with the choices they made, and the guilt is overwhelming them, and they are now prepared to admit to it, at great personal cost. Maybe Armstrong's mindset is to iron-clad that he won't ever admit to anything.

Also, it was interesting the read of Kristin's comments, that she has been bound by legal confidentiality agreements to remain silent on all this... plus her loyalty to the three kids. She must be going through hell at the moment.

bigfred probably had it right when saying let sleeping dogs lie.

But Armstrong was so arrogant about everything, that USADA couldn't let it go when there was evidence of his doping and his fundamental part in developing the masks and evasion of detection.

I still maintain Armstrong is at risk of prosecution and jail -- I don't think he was through the process enough in the legal system to take advantage of double-jeopardy rules.
Old 10-21-12, 01:19 PM
Rowan

Well no, because one of them was on Armstrong's team 2001 to 2003.
Old 10-21-12, 01:34 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well no, because one of them was on Armstrong's team 2001 to 2003.
He could have said, "no thank you." He could have left. Plain and simple. He was in control of his own actions.

I know, because, I left the best job I ever had or will have over business ethics and legal concerns. I wasn't the first. I won't have been the last. Neither would any of these riders. They can choose to compete on the terms they hold themselves to, or, they can choose to do "whatever it takes". Once you choose the later, you might as well go all in. You've already compromised your ethics. What's "only compromising your ethics a little bit"? Is that like being "partially pregnant."?
Old 10-21-12, 01:38 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, but if there is one single sworn statement that Armstrong has made to any court, he is in strife, if he cannot prove the mountain evidence against him is false. It's this that will get him, not necessarily the doping.

There are many who are living with the choices they made, and the guilt is overwhelming them, and they are now prepared to admit to it, at great personal cost. Maybe Armstrong's mindset is to iron-clad that he won't ever admit to anything.

Also, it was interesting the read of Kristin's comments, that she has been bound by legal confidentiality agreements to remain silent on all this... plus her loyalty to the three kids. She must be going through hell at the moment.

bigfred probably had it right when saying let sleeping dogs lie.

But Armstrong was so arrogant about everything, that USADA couldn't let it go when there was evidence of his doping and his fundamental part in developing the masks and evasion of detection.

I still maintain Armstrong is at risk of prosecution and jail -- I don't think he was through the process enough in the legal system to take advantage of double-jeopardy rules.
Their problem with perjury charges may be that the "mountain of evidence" is testamony from other involved particpants. I think they would need something more concrete to make a jail sentence stick. The fraud charges were already dropped, so, I would be surprised to see those brought back up. The only other remaining issue might be if there was some sort of side evidence, not related to the doping accusations, that proved tax evassion.
Old 10-21-12, 01:43 PM
Rowan

He could have said, "no thank you." He could have left. Plain and simple. He was in control of his own actions.

I know, because, I left the best job I ever had or will have over business ethics and legal concerns. I wasn't the first. I won't have been the last. Neither would any of these riders. They can choose to compete on the terms they hold themselves to, or, they can choose to do "whatever it takes". Once you choose the later, you might as well go all in. You've already compromised your ethics. What's "only compromising your ethics a little bit"? Is that like being "partially pregnant."?
How old were you when your business ethics told you to move on from that best job? How long had you worked to get that job? What other talents or skills did you have to go elsewhere? What other jobs were available to you at the time?

I am just wanting to put some context into your comments here, because age, impressionability and ambition all have a role in this, especially when there is a personality at the top who is very intimidating. Young people aren't necessarily on control of their own actions... that's why we have drug addicts and alcoholics and kids killing themselves in car crashes.

And perhaps you could give White a benefit of the doubt, by not sticking around with USPS, either by not performing or through his own choice.
Old 10-21-12, 02:09 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Perjury is awful hard to prove. I would have sworn I was a witness to it when I watched the American baseball player Roger Clemens tell the US Congress he never doped on live TV. His best friend on the team doped, his wife doped (for a swimsuit photo shoot) but he did not. Yeah right. But a jury said not guilty and that's all that legally matters. As it stands now I know of no criminal proceedings in the offing against LA but I have no special access to the federal justice system so who knows? After losing the Clemens case and hearing "not guilty" on the most serious charges against Barry Bonds I doubt the government is going to go after LA.

I could be wrong though.
Old 10-21-12, 06:20 PM
Rowan

Looks like Phil Liggett has raised the white flag on supporting Armstrong:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sp...-1226500195180
Old 10-22-12, 12:05 AM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

He has absolutely ZERO credibility with me.
Old 10-22-12, 11:25 AM
zero85ZEN

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A litte late IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.