Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

7800 DA hub bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

7800 DA hub bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-21, 06:37 AM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
7800 DA hub bearings?

hello all,
so.. was testing my DA 7800 wheels.. and when i spun them up in the stand.. i can here the sound of the bearing kinda knocking into each other... its not rough... its just a little clack.. every so often... so great... time to repack... or past time... but im going to pack them... replace the bearings.. inspect.. but im not at all sure what material to go with... stainless steel or chrome steel.... i would rather use what ever it was original.. i know its 3/16 and i need 14 a side...
what is a good source for these... i was told wheel manufacture. sells the item ... but any way... stainless steel or chrome steel.... can i stick with G25? wow... lots of silly questions today... lol
Old 06-23-21, 07:50 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 339 Posts
I've always used common chrome steel G25 balls. 150 of them are $5.49 shipped on Amazon.
Old 06-23-21, 08:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 3,348 Posts
You might be hearing little bits of contamination that got in the lube. Little bits of grit, sand, etc.

And even if it is sand and grit, bearings are pretty hard. They'll generally crush the grit and sand to dust and it will be a non issue if you regularly re-lube them.

Bearings, even contaminated bearings should last a long time. 40,000 to 50,000 miles easily and probably more since I'm just throwing out a number. I doubt the bearings are any different that the bearings in my car, and they see worse and more extreme heat and conditions.

If you are going to replace bearings for wear, then I'd think replacing the cones and races at the same time would be prudent.
Old 06-23-21, 09:06 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Replace the balls if you want to, for sure check the cones. The cups are very hard to replace for a home mechanic, and they rarely if ever show any wear. Cones are another story.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-23-21, 11:06 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
C-25 is a higher quality than we need. Saying that, they are all I use. If they have their original finish then they can be reused.
Old 06-23-21, 05:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 889 Posts
Grade 25 is beyond "good enough".
Since you use 56 bearing balls per wheel SET, buy a couple bags and save a bit on shipping for the future.

You can buy 3/16" balls at a local bearing supply store. look for an industrial type that sell hydraulic pumps, hose, BEARINGS etc.

This place has real good prices on somewhat larger quantities,
https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Chrome-S...01N8XZOPI?th=1