Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shock absorbing road seatpost

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-17, 07:10 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 252 Posts

I'm building up a Lemond 853 frame. The idea will be to install an Ultegra (not sure about the R8000, I may save several hundred and just go for the 6800). I have an old aluminum seatpost from a cannondale. Fits fine. Holds the seat in position fine.

But I was thinking that to absorb some of the road noise that a shock absorbing seatpost would be nice.

They may absorb road shock, but they sure as heck induce sticker shock. E.g. over $400 for an Ergon CF3! Luckily (in case I was tempted to be an idiot), the Ergon is only rated up to 220lbs and I'm a Clyde (6'2", 240lb).

Any ideas on a tush-friendly road seatpost for a large BSO*? Or is this not necessary if I get the right wheels and saddle? I have a set of Bontrager Paradigm Elites, and these wheels do give a comfortable ride on a CF Domane.

*In this case Bicyclist Shaped Object.
Old 08-25-17, 07:39 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Don't sweat the seatpost. I have what has been reviewed as the least forgiving seatpost there is-- the Thomson Elite-- in my Ritchey steel frame, and have never had a single complaint. As long as the post holds the seat in the position and tilt that you want it, it's good to go.
Old 08-25-17, 07:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11044 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
I would go with quality wheels, saddle, and cockpit(bars and tape). I cant imagine a suspension seatpost on a roadbike. Light supple tires that are the largest possible to fit the bike plus a comfortable saddle all day long.

Im guessing the Lemond needs a 27.2 seatpost? This cuts the current option's cost in half...
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...eatpost/105098
Old 08-25-17, 08:35 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I have a cheap Nashbar suspension post on my frankenbike and it seems to work, BUT in only a few months it has loosened where the seat mount attaches to the post allowing the seat to yaw a bit...not a showstopper, but occasionally disconcerting. I'm going to replace it with my old aluminum post. I've put 28mm Conti's on that bike, so do not think I'll miss it.

Update: the Nashbar post is back in service. There was a clamp that required tightening under my seat bag...duh! So, no more yaw. Nashbar post costs around $20.

Last edited by Stormsedge; 08-26-17 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-25-17, 08:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
You can get a cheap coil spring inside telescoping seat post for under $30.

@240pounds you are at the very top of the range of Cane creek's thudbuster ST with its densest elastomer..

I'm close but 30 pounds less.. @210..

My Koga WTR trekking bike came with a German Air Wings seat post, zero setback , I put on a ST thudbuster for setback .

the post itself the German one is larger than 27.2.. it was in a oversize seat tube frame and shimmed out to fit it..

So selling it to you wont work, I guess.. these are not light weight seat posts..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-25-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 08:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked 1,972 Times in 1,235 Posts
Took me a while to find the reference, but here's one that should work for your weight:
https://www.amazon.com/Cirrus-BodyFl...float+seatpost

There's a cute movie showing it in action at: The Cirrus Bodyfloat Seat Post at R+E Cycles
Old 08-25-17, 08:54 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I would go with quality wheels, saddle, and cockpit(bars and tape). I cant imagine a suspension seatpost on a roadbike. Light supple tires that are the largest possible to fit the bike plus a comfortable saddle all day long.

Im guessing the Lemond needs a 27.2 seatpost? This cuts the current option's cost in half...
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...eatpost/105098
Right now, Paradigm Elite wheels with tubeless R3 tires. They ride very comfortably.

It is a 27.2. I'd seen the specialized post. It didn't compete very well against the Ergon/Canyon one in this test. And I don't like the look - too bulky.

The thudbuster and the spring post are both interesting. Thanks to folks for pointing them out. But, as was also pointed out, they add weight. Not sure its justified. I think I'm going to stick with my humble mid-90s Kalloy aluminum post unless the assembled bike is too rough. Probably vultch ebay to see if I can snag a bargain if I want to improve. Not spending more than 40 bucks. 400 bucks for a seatpost. Meh!

Thanks to all for your help.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 08-25-17 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 08:59 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Fabric Scoop saddles with flexible base absorb lots of vibration.

The "Cromo" and "Titanium" models have a flexible nylon base while the "Carbon" model has a flexible carbon base. The "Ultimate" model has a stiff carbon base.

I have not tried the one with the stiff base but I own three with flexible base. The flex can be felt in these as one rides and I love it on my gravel bike.

https://usa.fabric.cc/saddles/scoop-shallow-cromo/

-Tim-
Old 08-25-17, 09:25 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
Perhaps trade your bike frame for a "Softride" frame?
Old 08-25-17, 09:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11044 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
And I don't like the look - too bulky.
Oh, its as pretty as braces. Just a total exercise in accepting function over form.
I am shocked I even linked that adams apple of a seatpost.

It apparently isnt all marketing, but $200 is wildly expensive for a goiter on a post.
Old 08-25-17, 09:47 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
A good leather saddle offers a significant amount of shock absorbing suspension travel. The hammock design provides real world results that can be felt immediately.
Old 08-25-17, 10:38 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
A good leather saddle offers a significant amount of shock absorbing suspension travel. The hammock design provides real world results that can be felt immediately.
Squidpuppet, I just took my brooks pro saddle off my old paramount (I'm parting it out, in part because the frame size is way wrong*, in part because a new gruppo for the Lemond is gonna cost).

I agree. A broken-in Brooks Pro is very nice. But the one I have is pretty decrepit. Leather is cracking.

* A long, tragic story involving a drunk hitting me and Rudy Schwinn sending me the wrong frame. Sigh.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 08-25-17 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 10:39 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
$200 is wildly expensive for a goiter on a post.
Your description was apt and highly amusing. I was thinking more that it looked like a t**d hanging from the saddle. I like your description better.
Old 08-25-17, 10:45 AM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might I recommend the redshift shockstop suspension stem. Rather expensive, and definitely NOT a seatpost, but it helps.

Is your problem more with vibration dampening or with actual suspension? If the problem was with vibration I would just recommend a carbon fiber seatpost.
Old 08-25-17, 10:51 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Tubeless wheels and tires, lower the pressure. Much more comfortable ride.....amongst other advantages.
Old 08-25-17, 10:51 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The ridiculous Spesh seatpost-- questionable performance aside-- is shaped so oddly as to interfere with the positioning of many, many saddles. I know a dude who has gone through half the list of suspension posts, from Thudbuster to Cobl-Gobl'r (it hurt to type that) and has a straight FSA carbon post on there now.
Old 08-25-17, 11:12 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by shafter
Might I recommend the redshift shockstop suspension stem. Rather expensive, and definitely NOT a seatpost, but it helps.

Is your problem more with vibration dampening or with actual suspension? If the problem was with vibration I would just recommend a carbon fiber seatpost.
The Redshift product looks interesting, thanks.

Right now, I ride a Domane and it has the decoupling (isoshock?) seat tube to reduce vibration. So far, I just rode the frame (with a seat and handlebars) down my driveway. No groupset (no brakes, crank etc). So I don't have data yet, but I am anticipating a higher level of vibration. Maybe not.
Old 08-25-17, 11:48 AM
shafter

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Redshift product looks interesting, thanks.

Right now, I ride a Domane and it has the decoupling (isoshock?) seat tube to reduce vibration. So far, I just rode the frame (with a seat and handlebars) down my driveway. No groupset (no brakes, crank etc). So I don't have data yet, but I am anticipating a higher level of vibration. Maybe not.
I
agree with your anticipation- going faster over rougher surfaces than your driveway will make lots more vibration.
Old 08-25-17, 12:26 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I tried one of those suspension seatposts before and I don't recommend them. All I did was Pogo up and down on mine. Just think of this from the viewpoint of the car driving behind me. Very embarrassing.
Old 08-25-17, 12:32 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 317 Posts
I ride a Thomson Elite 27.4 mm post on my Aluminum Flyte road bike so I am only speculating but can offer a few thoughts.
1) I agree about seeking out a saddle that you like that has some give to it. I have ridden on Selle Italia Turbomatic series saddles for years. They have stiff, very slightly forgiving elastomers under the rails. These do help soften expansion cracks, bridge joints, roads being resurfaced, etc... My current one the carbon railed Team
Turbomatic is really nice but on the stiff side.
2) Have you considered a titanium post? Particularly, one with some setback? I have heard from several people that I respect that titanium posts add just enough springiness to be noticeable. Probably less than 1mm of actual deflection, but somehow capable of attenuating road buzz. I know you said $40 is your target price but if you think about your post as a real asset to your expensive bike, then spending more no longer feels out of the question. Type "titanium seatpost" into eBay & you'll see a good variety usually. Several of the Chinese made ones look quite nice for under $100. Also, used Moots & Eriksen ones seem to pop up in the $200 range.
Old 08-25-17, 01:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18506 Post(s)
Liked 15,818 Times in 7,428 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Perhaps trade your bike frame for a "Softride" frame?

Every time I see a photo of one of things I cringe. Didn't Trek have its own Softride type of bike as well?
Old 08-25-17, 02:42 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts

bit old but eh. I have a canondale save post on my rigid mtn bike and it definitely helps off road. I only have it because it came with another used bike I picked up. I see them for around $80 shipped on ebay but they are also from Taiwan which makes me doubt if they are legit or clones.

Last edited by Canker; 08-25-17 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-25-17, 02:53 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now, Paradigm Elite wheels with tubeless R3 tires. They ride very comfortably.

It is a 27.2. I'd seen the specialized post. It didn't compete very well against the Ergon/Canyon one in this test. And I don't like the look - too bulky.

The thudbuster and the spring post are both interesting. Thanks to folks for pointing them out. But, as was also pointed out, they add weight. Not sure its justified. I think I'm going to stick with my humble mid-90s Kalloy aluminum post unless the assembled bike is too rough. Probably vultch ebay to see if I can snag a bargain if I want to improve. Not spending more than 40 bucks. 400 bucks for a seatpost. Meh!

Thanks to all for your help.
I'm sure both the cirrus or cane creek options would work well for you as far as absorbing shock. Either option would about a half pound of weight, but then again if you weigh 240 lbs. would it really matter? That's a third of a bottle of water.

Road bikes vary considerably in weight from under 14 lbs to around 22 lbs for budget models so an additional half pound of weight is hardly a significant penalty given the benefit of shock absorption.

I think more important than component weight is the amount of bob these suspension components introduce. You will definitely be less efficient pedaling using one of these suspension components. I've even found that cushy saddles make me less efficient.

You could try a saddle with more foam or wide tires as well.

I wouldn't sweat the weight though. Any body weight you lose will be a far more noticeable factor than the weight of a seatpost or a few extra grams in wider tires.

edit: I was going to recommend the fsa as well, but I read numerous reviews stating that the fsa saddle failed, despite users sticking to the recommended torque spec.

Last edited by speshelite; 08-25-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-25-17, 03:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by shafter

Reviewed recently by Gravelcyclist.com-Tim-
Old 08-25-17, 03:42 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
If I were going to but a suspension post I'd get a Suntour SP12. They actually have good reviews.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.