Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata 615 purchase; needing some work, as found

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 10:49 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 393 Posts

I don't need another bike at all, and this one may be too small for me too. For some reason, I have been looking for a light tourer to play with. I guess I couldn't resist the craigslist ad for $100. Research shows it to be a 1988 and 54cm. I know many other people find LOTS nicer bikes for the same price or less, but I don't, or maybe I'm not patient enough. This one is supposedly from a second owner who used it very little and it was sitting in his toy barn for maybe 10 years. Story was original owner rode it little too.

He claimed all original, but the Schwinn approved turkey levers say otherwise as does the seat. It looks to need most everything I suppose, but I've wasted $100 before. Besides the scratches on the top tube, supposedly from barn bumps, it looks pretty clean though. Flat tires, so I didn't ride and most everything is stiff and needing grease. I learned here a bit, and DID insure that the seat post is not stuck. I know people like these "as found" pics, so let me have the dressing down on this one.

Old 04-13-20, 10:55 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
That's actually pretty nice for $100. Looks to be straight, and Miyata frames are good quality. If you're looking for a tourer, you could do a lot worse.
Old 04-13-20, 11:57 AM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
My 84 610 is my favorite bike (this week). If it’s not too small & you can be comfortable on it, I think you’ll be really happy with it. My understanding is that the 610/615 has a slightly sportier geometry than the 1000.
Old 04-13-20, 12:05 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Pretty good for $100 actually. Mid range Miyata's from mid 80's onward are better than many other mid range offerings! I ride a Golden Arrow equipped 1985 Miyata 310 and I love it. This bike will be a keeper for you for sure, if it fits. There doesn't look to be much there that won't clean up nicely.
Old 04-13-20, 01:19 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts
I have the exact same bike that I payed $100 for a year or so ago. Mine is 60cm with 32 width tire giving a nice soft ride.
Old 04-13-20, 01:37 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
You did well, I'd say. No surprise everything's stiff, if it's been in storage all this time. Will take plenty of clean-up and all fresh lube, but it'll wind up very nice. Miyata made their own frame tubing BITD, and that STB tubing is unique.

Interesting slice of history, one of the first SIS, but one of the last before aero brake levers. You hear grumbles about adjusting those cantis, but I like them.

"Nice rack"; is it a Blackburn?

But please, don't post any more pics before putting that handlebar in a sane position. You're gonna give us all nosebleeds.
Old 04-13-20, 03:13 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Thanks all

Yes, I have seen that other absolute beauty that Robert bought for the same price. And oh yes, the bars were crazy and tires flat, but it is always cool to see the “as found” pics. I think it will clean up nicely except for the one substantial scratch on the top tube. 32C tires held air and gave a 31” stand over height, so perhaps I will like the fit. I’m 5’10” with medium inseam and my other bikes are technically on the large size for me. I raised the seat and bars to the maximum insertion height and in seemed decent.

The only other indexing I have is on a vintage steel Bianchi hybrid, so I will see how this one works. On the stand, after one turn of the cable adjuster, it was clicking nicely from gear to gear. I’m not a great fan of downtube shifters but these worked really nice. The turkey lever DiaCompe brakes had a solid feel to the accessory lever unlike my old SuperSport, so will stay for now. What were the stock levers? It is hard to find specs for this bike. I think that Blackburn rack is stock with this bike too.

Im not sure how this fits in with my modest collection and wether it is different enough from my 83 Trek to earn some of my limited riding time, but cleanup will be a nice diversion from the world. Actually I’m not sure it needs any parts except maybe some cables and bar tape. The housings seem pretty usable, and I will learn about the cantis. The tires even seemed rideable for now and the 700C wheels were relatively true.

i guess the price while not a steal was decent, as 5 other guys called after me, but the seller gave me first shot. I have been eyeing a 1000LT at the co-op for a year, but it just stayed at 62cm and never shrunk to my size. New projects are fun.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 04-13-20, 03:25 PM
sd5782 

Levers?

Robert, zooming in on your pic it looks as though there is a plug in the brake hoods where the levers could accept the accessory lever. Perhaps that was an option, and I have stock levers after all.
Old 04-13-20, 03:52 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Looks to me like you did just fine. Though not a screaming hot deal like $25 at a garage sale or something, that bike is not overpriced at $100. If you are frugal and can do the servicing it needs, you can get that bike working perfectly without breaking the bank, surely if the tires can be used. Doesn't look like there's anything that absolutely needs replacing except bar tape, probably the galvanized cables, probably the brake pads, and maybe the chain.

The scratched top tube is unfortunate, but it could be carefully de-rusted and then spot touched up with clear and it would then be protected and not so gross it would keep you up at night.

The pedals that are on that bike, by the way, are very nice though to take advantage of them you'll need clips and straps, if that's acceptable to you. They may feel a little crunchy, but they are very serviceable. I believe there is a oil/grease port on the outward cap and you can try to inject grease with a needle fitting on your gun until it comes out clean if you don't want to take the pedals apart. Sometimes that works.
Old 04-13-20, 04:06 PM
sd5782 

Oh yes on the pedals

Originally Posted by desconhecido
Looks to me like you did just fine. Though not a screaming hot deal like $25 at a garage sale or something, that bike is not overpriced at $100. If you are frugal and can do the servicing it needs, you can get that bike working perfectly without breaking the bank, surely if the tires can be used. Doesn't look like there's anything that absolutely needs replacing except bar tape, probably the galvanized cables, probably the brake pads, and maybe the chain.

The scratched top tube is unfortunate, but it could be carefully de-rusted and then spot touched up with clear and it would then be protected and not so gross it would keep you up at night.

The pedals that are on that bike, by the way, are very nice though to take advantage of them you'll need clips and straps, if that's acceptable to you. They may feel a little crunchy, but they are very serviceable. I believe there is a oil/grease port on the outward cap and you can try to inject grease with a needle fitting on your gun until it comes out clean if you don't want to take the pedals apart. Sometimes that works.
I do have the pedals off and will perhaps tear those down first. They are indeed nice and some vintage clips from the co-op are in order if I don’t already have some. My old Trek has the slightly nicer platforms; SP11 ?? maybe. The co-op has cables cheap too. I will be curious to see how it rides vs my slightly larger Trek with full 531.
Old 04-13-20, 04:16 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
That's really nice! It's good to see other sweet touring rides in Toledo.

I actually haven't ridden so much here in the area since I moved here. Only a handful of rides last year, and one this weekend.
Old 04-13-20, 04:53 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
I don't understand being sheepish about paying $100 for that bike. That was EASILY a $250 bike a few years ago when I was looking for them.

That year Miyata 615 was a great bike- with a main frame of the Splined Triple Butted CrMo tubing- you've got a good and stiff frame without adding a whole lot of weight. You'll notice the difference between that and a 531 frame- it's readily apparent to me. That's what's going to matter when you're toting around 25 or so pounds on the back of the bike, and going down a hill. The Mangalite fork- if it's anything like the Tange Mangalloy that Trek used is, again, great stuff. As far as components go... those look to be the SR SP-155 which was the successor to the SP-11 pedals; just guessing- that looks like a Z525GS RD and Z204 FD- The RD is a good, no nonsense RD- I haven't used the GS version- but I put a lot of miles on the short cage version. The Z204 is a really nice shifting FD. (and it goes nice on double chainring bikes as well). The crankset looks like the FC124- again- a nice crankset- it looks good and isn't all branded up as to what level it is- just "Shimano" (the same thing I love about the Z series brake levers- just "Shimano"). One of the other nifty things you've got going on- that headset mounted cable hanger for the front brakes- I love those things! Totally overbuilt- but absolutely cool. And take care of that Miyata branded stem- specifically that M plug- mine came all damaged- yours is in really nice shape-

I think it *might* be a bit too small for you- but if you're comfortable on it- that's all that matters.

Nice score!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-13-20, 05:14 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Found the catalog - https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2088.pdf . Specs are on p. 27. No reference to the turkey levers, probably an LBS mod. Indeed, the rack is stock. And a 40-spoke rear wheel, dayum!
Old 04-13-20, 07:10 PM
sd5782 

Thanks for the catalog

Originally Posted by madpogue
Found the catalog - https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2088.pdf . Specs are on p. 27. No reference to the turkey levers, probably an LBS mod. Indeed, the rack is stock. And a 40-spoke rear wheel, dayum!
Thanks for the catalog. Tearing machine apart now. The grease in bb was toast along with bearings and cups, and especially the spindle. My first time removing the fixed cup. I bought the Park tool recently, and one whack with a wooden hammer while just holding things aligned with my hand and it came loose nicely. Co-op time for some parts. Chain was worn too, probably from no lube, but freewheel and chainrings look good. I am having such fun. Cheap parts first to get rideable to see about fit. Either way, it was nice to save it even if I eventually sell it.
Old 04-13-20, 07:48 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
I would consider that a great deal where I live. Very rare to see something like that in Baton Rouge or New Orleans Craigs list. If it fits you and you keep it you may be able to find someone local to match the paint and refinish just the top tube for a reasonable price. Or at least maybe go to an auto paint store and have them mix you some matching touch up paint. If it doesn't fit you, well, it's my size.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 04-14-20, 05:57 AM
sd5782 

Tough to find nice weather

Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
That's really nice! It's good to see other sweet touring rides in Toledo.

I actually haven't ridden so much here in the area since I moved here. Only a handful of rides last year, and one this weekend.
Yes, I am the same. We don’t have as much nice riding weather as some and with working, it is hard to get rides in. I see many serious riders out in the suburban areas when the weather warms up. Having multiple bikes helps. My old 3 speed is nice for relaxing neighborhood jaunts, and a hybrid is fun for some urban exploring. The road bikes, however require about 5 miles of heavier traffic until I finally get to see a farm field. I have a bike rack for my car, but haven’t used it yet.
Old 04-14-20, 10:45 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Yes, I am the same. We don’t have as much nice riding weather as some and with working, it is hard to get rides in. I see many serious riders out in the suburban areas when the weather warms up. Having multiple bikes helps. My old 3 speed is nice for relaxing neighborhood jaunts, and a hybrid is fun for some urban exploring. The road bikes, however require about 5 miles of heavier traffic until I finally get to see a farm field. I have a bike rack for my car, but haven’t used it yet.
You should use the rack! I put one of those strappy racks on the back of my car to get myself to ride into work more, and it is really effective. I live in a very hilly neighborhood, so I drive to the flat part of the city and ride in. I went from maybe a couple of times a month to almost daily. If there is a mental barrier to a nice ride, you'll quickly get used to tossing your bike on the rack as the first step in a specific type of ride.
Old 04-14-20, 12:02 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Yes, I have seen that other absolute beauty that Robert bought for the same price. And oh yes, the bars were crazy and tires flat, but it is always cool to see the “as found” pics. I think it will clean up nicely except for the one substantial scratch on the top tube. 32C tires held air and gave a 31” stand over height, so perhaps I will like the fit. I’m 5’10” with medium inseam and my other bikes are technically on the large size for me. I raised the seat and bars to the maximum insertion height and in seemed decent.

The only other indexing I have is on a vintage steel Bianchi hybrid, so I will see how this one works. On the stand, after one turn of the cable adjuster, it was clicking nicely from gear to gear. I’m not a great fan of downtube shifters but these worked really nice. The turkey lever DiaCompe brakes had a solid feel to the accessory lever unlike my old SuperSport, so will stay for now. What were the stock levers? It is hard to find specs for this bike. I think that Blackburn rack is stock with this bike too.

Im not sure how this fits in with my modest collection and wether it is different enough from my 83 Trek to earn some of my limited riding time, but cleanup will be a nice diversion from the world. Actually I’m not sure it needs any parts except maybe some cables and bar tape. The housings seem pretty usable, and I will learn about the cantis. The tires even seemed rideable for now and the 700C wheels were relatively true.

i guess the price while not a steal was decent, as 5 other guys called after me, but the seller gave me first shot. I have been eyeing a 1000LT at the co-op for a year, but it just stayed at 62cm and never shrunk to my size. New projects are fun.
You'll have to take notes on your servicing.I haven't done anything to my 615 yet and may need guidance .I just did the bottom bracket and wheel hubs on my Sequoia and am starting to do the same thing on my Miyata 912. Next up will be the 615. Have to do something being quarantined and the bad weather.
Old 04-16-20, 03:02 PM
sd5782 

Too small I think

Well, I have been spending some recreational wrench time playing with this new purchase. I got it rideable for a test spin, and I think it is just a wee bit too small. I could make it work, but might as well keep my eye out for a replacement.

The BB was toast, so I got some used parts at the co-op. Steerer was in need of new bearings at the fork crown too. Wheel bearing condition was very nice. Middle chain sprocket isn’t great, and it needs a new chain yet. I rebuilt the pedals also which are very nice.

I may list it here for local pickup, or perhaps strip some parts, or hold on to it in case something else comes up that I could switch parts to. The wheels with the 40 spoke rear might be keepers too, as are the pedals. That is half the fun I think. I didn’t want to go too crazy on it until I rode it either way.