Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1981 Trek worth repairing?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-23-20, 01:00 AM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 106 Posts

Refurbishing my recent Trek 910 find has got me thinking about. Frame hanging in my garage. It's a Reynolds 531 Trek from 1980-1982 range, pretty rusty and worst of all, has a nasty crack in the bottom head lug.

I think I looked into repairing it and was probably already told that it wasn't worth repairing, but that was a few years ago and that good advice had faded so I'll ask here: would it be stupid to have this repaired? Assuming I was a billionaire (&#128514 how much would a frame builder charge for this? Wouldn't have to be original; could've interesting having non-matching lugs or even one fillet joint on an all lugged frame!

I know not all frames are worth saving, so tell me the bad news so I can hang it back up in the garage for another few years.
Old 12-23-20, 03:12 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
Your head tube is cracked as well. $500 at Ti Cycles. Then you need paint or powder coat at $150 to $750. I will be taking a pretty blue 83 Sequoia frame to Far West recycling due to a similar failure so I feel your pain.
Old 12-23-20, 10:03 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Had a Bianchi with similar damage repaired 2 years ago, 750 dollars, which included respray and decals. I’m definitely not a billionaire, but thought it was well worth it.
Tim

1983 Bianchi Champione del Mondo
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 12-23-20, 10:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
Got a pic of the whole frame? You mention its rusted elsewhere...is any of it worse than just surface rust?
Old 12-23-20, 10:52 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Is this one of the 1 piece head tube/lug combo Treks? @JohnDThompson
Old 12-23-20, 11:05 AM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
jPrichardJr: I don't work on bicycle frames, but I make this kind of decision on "bargain" stringed instruments. Here's my decision tree.
  • If it's a really valuable thing, or if it has sentimental value or "cool" value and I can spend the money, then I'll pay the money to have someone else repair it.
  • If I'm teaching myself how to do particular skills (like metalworking), then I'll write the thing off in my head and give the repair a try--figuring, if I screw it up, well, it was already dead.
  • If either of the first two conditions fail, no matter how good a deal it is, no matter what the balance of value-as-repaired and cost to repair is, I walk away fast and never look back.
When I've ignored that rubrick, it causes me untold heartache. When I'm on the second tranche--learning new skills--it's always worthwhile even if the repair fails. Invariably I find myself using those skills I learned, later on another project.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 12-23-20, 11:29 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
For that bike? I’m retired and would mow lawns and flip lesser bikes to pay 750 for a repair and finish restore. Absolutely.
Old 12-23-20, 11:38 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
No way. Too many other bikes out there. As soon as you spend the money on this one, they'll show up.
Old 12-23-20, 12:00 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
It's a nice frame for sure, or once was, but it's not particularly rare. For the cost of the repair you can upgrade to an even nicer vintage bike. Right here on bikeforums even.
Old 12-23-20, 01:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
Is this one of the 1 piece head tube/lug combo Treks? @JohnDThompson
I was wondering that myself. I suspect the one-piece headlug/head tube frames are probably more susceptible to this type of failure. You'd have to remove the fork and look into the head to determine this: a one-piece head tube will have large openings in which the down and top tubes are visible. The three piece head tubes will only have small vent holes in the head tube to allow the down and top tubes to vent and drain properly.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-23-20, 02:47 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I was wondering that myself. I suspect the one-piece headlug/head tube frames are probably more susceptible to this type of failure. You'd have to remove the fork and look into the head to determine this: a one-piece head tube will have large openings in which the down and top tubes are visible. The three piece head tubes will only have small vent holes in the head tube to allow the down and top tubes to vent and drain properly.
Certainly looks like the original Nikko Italian cut long point head lug to me. If an 80-81 it would be that. Same with 82 but shorter point. (?) One-piece came later and were shaped differently. The relief of the "lug" against the head tube would be shallower than against the down tube. They look the same in the photo.

Last edited by IsleRide; 12-23-20 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 03:00 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
no intention of hi jacking the OP but while on this topic, I found a post on FB marketplace for an Eddy Merckx vintage frame in my size. No model number but the fame appears structurally fine, just rusted and chipped paint. Price seems reasonable but is it worth the work?
Old 12-23-20, 03:16 PM
jPrichard10 

Originally Posted by gthomson
no intention of hi jacking the OP but while on this topic, I found a post on FB marketplace for an Eddy Merckx vintage frame in my size. No model number but the fame appears structurally fine, just rusted and chipped paint. Price seems reasonable but is it worth the work?
I mean, you're obviously asking the wrong guy, because I'll obviously say go for it! Ten gallons of vinegar and a wheelbarrow (or bathtub?) should clean that rust up in 2-3 days of moving the frame around. I just got done "pickling" my Trek 910 chainstays.
Old 12-23-20, 03:21 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
I mean, you're obviously asking the wrong guy, because I'll obviously say go for it! Ten gallons of vinegar and a wheelbarrow (or bathtub?) should clean that rust up in 2-3 days of moving the frame around. I just got done "pickling" my Trek 910 chainstays.
LOL yeah, I'm probably preaching to the choir here. I'm looking for a frame anyways and I know this would be a fairly rare bike but wasn't sure what his bikes sell for.

What are you planning on using for components on the Trek and I'm guessing you'll paint it?
Old 12-23-20, 03:22 PM
jPrichard10 

Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
jPrichardJr: I don't work on bicycle frames, but I make this kind of decision on "bargain" stringed instruments. Here's my decision tree.
  • If it's a really valuable thing, or if it has sentimental value or "cool" value and I can spend the money, then I'll pay the money to have someone else repair it.
  • If I'm teaching myself how to do particular skills (like metalworking), then I'll write the thing off in my head and give the repair a try--figuring, if I screw it up, well, it was already dead.
  • If either of the first two conditions fail, no matter how good a deal it is, no matter what the balance of value-as-repaired and cost to repair is, I walk away fast and never look back.
When I've ignored that rubrick, it causes me untold heartache. When I'm on the second tranche--learning new skills--it's always worthwhile even if the repair fails. Invariably I find myself using those skills I learned, later on another project.

You're reminding me of why I held onto it: free practice. It's not a particularly rare frame (although I see fewer and fewer of any pre-1984 Treks) but it would be something special if I ever learned to braze myself and could have some fun with it.
Old 12-23-20, 05:31 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I had a Mondonico frame repaired after a crash, replacing both the top tube and teh down tube. With paint, decals, and realignment it was about $700 here in Michigan. I considered it worth it, since no more used or new Mondonicos were on the horizon, after looking for a few months.
Old 12-23-20, 05:52 PM
jPrichard10 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I had a Mondonico frame repaired after a crash, replacing both the top tube and teh down tube. With paint, decals, and realignment it was about $700 here in Michigan. I considered it worth it, since no more used or new Mondonicos were on the horizon, after looking for a few months.
I've had this for years, and while I haven't been actively looking, I still don't see a ton of these pop up.

probably about the most common for this era of Trek though.
Old 12-23-20, 06:53 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
John,
The one piece lugs did not come along until 1984, If I remember correctly. At that time Trek started using tubes from True Temper and the one piece cast head tube and lugs mad it easier to use a straight cut on the tube and then braze it in place. The same applied to the bottom bracket and seat pillar fittings, as well as the rear drop outs. The cost of doing just a straight cut instead of having to cut on a chamfered angle made production costs go way down. Even the fork tips were designed for the same treatment. HTH, Smiles, MH
Old 12-23-20, 07:04 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
If it were my bike, I'd cut the crack open with an angle grinder, clean out the inside of the head tube, and braze in an internal sleeve with bronze, followed by building up a fillet where the crack goes through the lug. Although, gad, it's almost as bad to remove the headtube and lower lug and braze in all new. Add a Herse-style dynamo slip-ring and brush thingy for extra credit. But I'm crazy and you shouldn't listen to me.
Old 12-23-20, 07:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
If it were my bike, I'd cut the crack open with an angle grinder, clean out the inside of the head tube, and braze in an internal sleeve with bronze, followed by building up a fillet where the crack goes through the lug. Although, gad, it's almost as bad to remove the headtube and lower lug and braze in all new. Add a Herse-style dynamo slip-ring and brush thingy for extra credit. But I'm crazy and you shouldn't listen to me.
Was just about to post that you'd done something similar recently. Musta heard me typing...
Old 12-23-20, 09:42 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Was just about to post that you'd done something similar recently. Musta heard me typing...
Ha, yep! And I'm still commuting on that bike daily! Used it to help a friend move a 45lb Zeiss microscope in the snowstorm last week, and just braved the Boston traffic on it today to ride to a fish market and then to work to do a couple experiments. I am confident the frame will break again - just not in that spot!

The OP has the compound problem of needing a sleeve up in the head tube, but it could be done in two operations, independent of each other. First the sleeve, then the fillet, I reckon, since the fillet seems easier both to do and to see what you're doing, not being up inside a tube and all. In any case, it will be strong after it's done!
Old 12-24-20, 12:09 AM
jPrichard10 

Originally Posted by scarlson
Ha, yep! And I'm still commuting on that bike daily! Used it to help a friend move a 45lb Zeiss microscope in the snowstorm last week, and just braved the Boston traffic on it today to ride to a fish market and then to work to do a couple experiments. I am confident the frame will break again - just not in that spot!

The OP has the compound problem of needing a sleeve up in the head tube, but it could be done in two operations, independent of each other. First the sleeve, then the fillet, I reckon, since the fillet seems easier both to do and to see what you're doing, not being up inside a tube and all. In any case, it will be strong after it's done!

I guess if I'm really dreaming, I've always said if I get a custom bike I'll pay the extra money for bilam head lugs with a stainless steel head tube. But that doesn't sound like a good place to start on my first brazing project.
Old 12-24-20, 04:02 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 480 Posts
The one and only bike I’ve had stripped and powder coated is my father’s ‘73 Gitane TdF. I did it because it fit my wife (I knew it would be ridden) and it was my first road bike as a kid (sentimental value). So it would be worth double what I paid to do it all again.

Is there any sentimental value?
Old 12-24-20, 05:52 AM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
But wait! There's more!

You're reminding me of why I held onto it: free practice. It's not a particularly rare frame (although I see fewer and fewer of any pre-1984 Treks) but it would be something special if I ever learned to braze myself and could have some fun with it.
You reminded me of one more piece in the analysis. The first step. The most important.
  • Before I do ANYTHING else, before I think another thought, before I move to the next step, I ask myself: Do I have room for this on my workbench?
Because if I don't, it's going to inevitably added to all the crap in my workshop that I'm going to get to someday, which effectively means: that my kids are going to have to clean out of my workshop when I'm dead and gone. If I'm not going to be able to work on it right now, I don't proceed to the next steps in the analysis.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 12-24-20, 07:04 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
As the owner of several lugged vintage steel Treks, I'd normally say that they're almost always worth saving, even if it means a complete strip and repaint. In this case though, that frame is too far gone. This was a great frame but it's not rare or collectible. There are plenty of other frames out there to sink time and money into.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.