Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which bib shorts for ultimate comfort?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which bib shorts for ultimate comfort?

Old 05-14-20, 02:27 PM
PedalHardr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hydrationnation
Florida here too.
Do you buy bibs and jerseys with SPF?
*sorry for hijacking this thread
Whats the most comfortable jersey you own for the summer?

I have not yet looked for SPF values in them for summer. I have seen bibs that have it but have not specifically bought them. As for the most comfortable, they are all nice but for summer I have been reaching for the Rapha bibs. They have enough padding and light enough while still breathing well. Given the level of heat and humidity, the cost of the rapha core bibs are roughly 2 bibs compared to 1 bib for castelli/giordana/etc. So given the level of sweat and work, it allows for more rotation of bibs and less washing/wearing. Plus, the cargo core versions are, to me anyway, pretty game changing.
Likes For PedalHardr:
Old 05-14-20, 02:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Another vote for Castelli Free Aero Race
Me too.
Old 05-14-20, 08:53 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Any deals on some decent bib shorts these days? I have a great pair of Assos shorts I got from the Factory Outlet a few years ago, but nothing in Medium right now. A lot of folks seem to like the Castelli Free Aero Race.
I'm in Canada, I'm case it matters.
Old 05-14-20, 11:07 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Autumn seems to be the best time for deals in cycling apparel. Winter can be cheaper but selection is worse. Spring and summer usually are the most expensive periods. But COVID-19 can change all of this as in many places bike riding is prohibited now.
Old 05-15-20, 02:57 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jordanair45
I like GORE stuff
Their customer service for any warranty item is perhaps the worst in the industry based on my experience. I avoid all of their products based on how I was treated and place my loyalty with Assos, PI, Castelli, Rapha. Just my two cents...
Old 05-15-20, 06:11 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Autumn seems to be the best time for deals in cycling apparel. Winter can be cheaper but selection is worse. Spring and summer usually are the most expensive periods. But COVID-19 can change all of this as in many places bike riding is prohibited now.
Of course, and the Spring Bike Show in Toronto was something I chose to avoid this year given it happened just a week or so before lockdowns began.
Old 05-15-20, 06:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Spring and summer usually are the most expensive periods. But COVID-19 can change all of this as in many places bike riding is prohibited now.
Though spring/summer should be better for knickers, tights and/or longsleeved apparel. eg. Castelli Sorpasso bib tights (same chamois as Free Aero Race shorts) are $114 at SteepAndCheap
Likes For Sy Reene: