Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Velocity Dyad ERD=598.5?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Velocity Dyad ERD=598.5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 08:26 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Velocity Dyad ERD=598.5?

I am planning to build a front 622 wheel with a Velocity Dyad rim. Ideally I would measure (and I will), but I would like to order the rim/spokes/nipples/hub in same order. Most sites list ERD=596 (including Velocity), but FreeSpoke (ksoterz.com, 2013) gives 598.5 for the US version, with a specific statement that it changed from the Australian version of 596.

This seems to be a common rim. I would be grateful if someone knows the number and could verify. Thank you.
Old 07-10-20, 08:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
ERD is the diameter at the spoke head seat in the rim. ETRTO # is the tire bead seat.,
ERD is an input in spoke length calculations.. hub spoke hole diameter is the other end..
Know nothing of these specific variations from alternate competing sources..
Old 07-10-20, 11:36 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
I am planning to build a front 622 wheel with a Velocity Dyad rim. Ideally I would measure (and I will), but I would like to order the rim/spokes/nipples/hub in same order. Most sites list ERD=596 (including Velocity), but FreeSpoke (ksoterz.com, 2013) gives 598.5 for the US version, with a specific statement that it changed from the Australian version of 596.

This seems to be a common rim. I would be grateful if someone knows the number and could verify. Thank you.
The ACTUAL number is what you measure yourself. I've observed so much online variance and in the actual product... only trusting now what I find myself.

Simplest method: lay rim on flat surface.. stretch METAL tape inside from valve hole to seam.. 32nd of inch is .032.. mm is .039.
Do same at 90 degrees from valve.. do all over again till confident you have correct in inches.. 700c usually ~ 23-24".

Take your inch measurement and divide by .03937 (1 mm) gives IRD. I call inside rim... IRD... ---->ADD 8mm normally for rim thickness, nip head and spoke stretch. IRD plus 8mm gives ERD.
Old 07-10-20, 11:37 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Rinard's Spokecalc shows 596. I have used his charts with no problems.
Old 07-10-20, 11:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rohloff manual shows a way to measure your self.

you put in 2 spokes of measured length, on opposite sides of the rim like 12:00 & 6:00
and with a caliper you measure the distance between the 2 spoke hook ends...

those 3 numbers = the ERD
Old 07-10-20, 08:43 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
I just built a wheel today with a Dyad. Measured it at 597. But measure yours to be sure. I have seen variances.
Edit to add. Actually, my measurement confirms the spec from Velocity site. https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-622

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 07-10-20 at 08:46 PM.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 07-11-20, 06:54 AM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I just built a wheel today with a Dyad. Measured it at 597. But measure yours to be sure. I have seen variances.
Edit to add. Actually, my measurement confirms the spec from Velocity site. https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-622
Thank you very much!
Old 07-12-20, 06:47 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
ERD is the diameter at the spoke head seat in the rim. ETRTO # is the tire bead seat.,
ERD is an input in spoke length calculations.. hub spoke hole diameter is the other end..
Know nothing of these specific variations from alternate competing sources..
No it is NOT!

Effective Rim Diameter is the distance from the end of one spoke to the end of the other spoke at 180 degrees in and already built and functional bicycle wheel.

...hence why many builders will use spokes of known length with nipples set and a caliper to emulate where the ends of their spokes will be for a wheel they are trying to build.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 07-12-20, 07:19 PM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
No it is NOT!

Effective Rim Diameter is the distance from the end of one spoke to the end of the other spoke at 180 degrees in and already built and functional bicycle wheel.

...hence why many builders will use spokes of known length with nipples set and a caliper to emulate where the ends of their spokes will be for a wheel they are trying to build.

=8-|
Indeed! I thread the measuring spokes to the bottom of the slot in the nipple. I guess between rim compression and spoke stretch, the spoke may gain 1-2 mm in length and be flush with nipple end? However, from what I've read, ideally, the spoke thread should insert into the nipple sufficiently far so that the spoke thread just begins to deform the inner nipple thread, so perhaps 1mm out the end of nipple.