Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where Would you live ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where Would you live ?

Old 02-28-20, 01:06 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I've been puzzling over why folks would nominate places with harsh to impossible riding conditions for a good part of the year...
When you are too poor to own a car and public transportation is non existent then there really isn't such a thing as too harsh or impossible. If I could walk in it, I'd get there faster by riding in it.
Old 02-29-20, 04:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
If you could live anywhere you wanted in the USA and you wanted to live there primarily for cycling where would it be and why?
Nowhere in the USA!
Old 02-29-20, 05:12 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Nowhere in the USA!
you missing out then
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 02-29-20, 08:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
you missing out then
Nope.
Much prefer Australia or Canada but would be interested in France too.
Old 02-29-20, 08:20 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Machka
Nope.
Much prefer Australia or Canada but would be interested in France too.
you will never achieve self actualization in places like that And you are the reason I had to put the USA factor in the thread
Old 03-02-20, 11:09 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Moab, UT.

Otherwise, the south of France.

The terrain, and the roads, in both places will let you cycle nearly year-round; however, the wine and food is a lot better in France.
Having been to both, you made two excellent suggestions. Provenance has to be my all around favorite place on earth. Moab was great on a motorcycle and I think I need to go back, with two wheels again, but not motorized this trip.
Old 03-02-20, 11:29 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
Growing up dodging cars in NYC (Queens based) and now a fair weather commuter over the GWB from NJ all these places sound nice.
Old 03-02-20, 11:32 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by dmark
Growing up dodging cars in NYC (Queens based) and now a fair weather commuter over the GWB from NJ all these places sound nice.
Growing up in the Minneapolis area, we are lucky with many bike trails and great roads with fairly considerate drivers. The downside is that you have at an absolute minimum, 3 months of indoor riding. Towards the end of November, I was riding in 25 degree days. Yesterday was the first day to get the bike down and on the roads, and you're dodging icepack and salty pools of melted snow.
Old 03-02-20, 12:19 PM
k8t

Bikes: Novarra Randonee, Specialized Dolce Elite, Santana Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
I would choose to stay in Canada - specifically, Vancouver Island, BC where I can spend time cycling the Galloping Goose Trail and doing the other thing that I’m passionate about.

We spent a glorious 10 days last year cycling Vancouver Island and Salt Spring Island. We'd love to retire there from northern Califonia but Canada won't let us yet. You live in a wonderful climate with a very friendly biking environment!
Old 03-02-20, 12:42 PM
richart
Georgia Traveler

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
In Georgia right next to the 62 mile long Silver Comet Trail, which connects to the 33 mile long Chief Ladiga Trail at the Georgia/Alabama line. Altogether 95 miles of paved rail-to-trail, the longest continuous paved trail in the U.S. with a future connection coming to the 33 mile Atlanta BeltLine rail-to-trail project. Great riding weather most of the year.
Old 03-02-20, 12:48 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by richart
In Georgia right next to the 62 mile long Silver Comet Trail, which connects to the 33 mile long Chief Ladiga Trail at the Georgia/Alabama line. Altogether 95 miles of paved rail-to-trail, the longest continuous paved trail in the U.S. with a future connection coming to the 33 mile Atlanta BeltLine rail-to-trail project. Great riding weather most of the year.
Now we are talkin

and you aren’t that far from a big city for those times you want to do big city things
Old 03-02-20, 12:52 PM
MilfordJohn

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Saga, Bike Friday NWT, Specialized Roubaix SL4, Brompton P6R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is to respond to the post from "TooOldandSlow" about Loutraki, Greece. I lived in Athens, Greece for 7 years, and still love to go back and cycle in the suburbs north of Athens. Views like the ones shown in the photos on his post are a dime a dozen there. The drivers are a bit unpredictable, but by and large they leave cyclists alone. Once you are out of Athens the volume of traffic drops off considerably.

Now that I live in the States, I have to say that Richmond, Virginia is hard to beat for the serious cyclist. I can ride from my house in Richmond city and be in the country in 45 minutes. There are lots of 40+ mile courses in the vicinity of my house and I get a lot of variety. The Richmond area may be lacking in serious hills for the dedicated climber, but the mountains of western Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley are only an hour's drive away. We have decent roads, largely tolerant drivers, and lots of rural countryside to drive through. Even better, this is a state where you can ride 12 months out of the year.

Last edited by MilfordJohn; 03-02-20 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Wanted to add some context
Old 03-02-20, 12:55 PM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
A very, very timely topic.

I was just talking to a friend about relocating. These 2 quotes illustrate my challenges. To me, the OBX or Outer Banks of NC are heaven for cycling in the Fall and Spring, but not in the tourist season or hard winter.

The second seems to be the one that is forcing its way to the surface. I believe that is from where I live now, but from the many posts here, it is just a matter of degree.
Just moved from OBX to Boulder CO and am ecstatic.
Cycling in OBX was flat, minimal route options, no tree or.mountain scenery, horribly humid in summer, very rarely see another cyclist, no group rides or comraderie, no bicycle shops, and most importantly, zero pourover coffee shops 😁

Boulder? Wow. Cycling USA. I bike year around,although of course miss some days due to snow, which usually is totally melted off roads within a few days. Huge cycling community, mountain , rolling and flat routes, multiple group rides for all ages and capabilities, multiple proximal cycling events, see literally hundreds of riders while on the road, huge number of cycling shops and mechanics, 300 days of annual sunshine, and 9 pourover coffee shops on Pearl Street alone

Wish I moved here decades ago
YMMV
Likes For bfaIllini:
Old 03-02-20, 02:22 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 251 Posts
I love Seattle in the summer as it's not too hot or humid except for sometimes two weeks in august, but the winter is too rainy. Places further south with less rain and warmer in winter are too hot in summer. For biking year round, I'm gonna take a guess at some place further south, but at enough altitude so they are cooler in summer. Ideal would be living at the threshold of altitude so you could choose to bike at lower or higher altitude, and with some sort of public transport up the mountain as I hate using my car. But the mountain roads in most places do not have wide shoulders for bicyclists, so might be treacherous with vehicle and especially heavy truck traffic. Some place with dedicated bike trails would be a plus. Seattle is getting better and better with that, but again, rainy winter.
Old 03-02-20, 02:38 PM
stellablue

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Greenville, SC. Greenville has an amazing combination of terrain, weather, and cycling related businesses. We have plenty of leg busting climbs and white knuckle descents. If you prefer dirt Dupont forest isn't far away. The town itself has much to offer in terms of food, outdoor markets, and other amenities.
Old 03-02-20, 03:13 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
First of all I would not live somewhere in a cold climate. Second of all I think the best option might be to have 2 places to live.

I would pick Moab for the summer time and Northwest Arkansas for my second house in the summer. Both places are at the top as far as biking facilities. Moab is crowded would be the negative but its not as crowded as some of the other really popular spots like Ashville, NC.

I also need gravel/dirt roads. As many miles as possible.

I also want good healthcare so I can actually choose what doctor I can go to if I crash and get hurt.
I also want good healthcare so I can actually choose what doctor I can go to if I crash and get hurt.
This is a key consideration, and also important generally if you are older
Old 03-02-20, 03:35 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
The Delmarva peninsula is a pretty good area for bicycling, more so for road riding than MUP or off road. It certainly is flat! If one stays away from the beach resorts, there are a lot of rural areas with generally well maintained roads, quite a few of them being chip and seal. Off season, the beach resort areas offer nice, scenic rides. Weekends , especially holiday weekends, are pretty busy all year now. Though it is much better than in the past, there are still a lot of vehicle operators that do not like to share the road with bicyclists. There is so much development, I prefer to call it destruction, we now have traffic issues all year and it is going to keep getting worse. Road construction is becoming a continuous impediment to getting anywhere.
We make an annual casual biking/eating/wine and beer tasting group pilgrimage to Cape May, NJ, via Lewes, Delaware and the Ferry each spring right before Memorial day and beach traffic sets in.

Two years ago the trip north was terrible due to construction in Delaware and Maryland (both main and backup routes) that had miles long backups. Last year we went up the 'highway of hell' (I-95 in MD with insane speeds, sudden backups, and wild weaving) and cut over through NJ scenic rodeo country to Cape May County. DC area Beltway traffic and MD/DE construction make it really hard to hit our greatly preferred Lewes-Cape May Ferry reserved departure times without leaving 2-3 hours earlier than before. We returned via the Ferry and back roads in Del and MD.
Old 03-02-20, 03:58 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
This is a key consideration, and also important generally if you are older
those of us that have an those of us who will