Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

I can't choose

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-19, 08:33 AM
Jempi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't choose

Hi fellow 1-geared comrads,

I'm looking out for a new frame for my daily sporty commute.

But I can't choose ;p

These are on my list:

- MASH AC-1

alu frame with full carbon fork, about 2kg, not wild about the paintjob, 900$ (quite pricy alumium that is ) strongly advised by my LBS

- Engine11 Crit-D

very alike the MASH, a litlle bit less aggressive and 350$ cheaper, don't like the paintjobs much more than the ac-1

- Engine11 Sprinter

a bit confused here the frame is bigger and less agressive but engine11 calls it's more a track than a street bike. Around 750$. Why is it much more expensive than a Crit-D and is it better? Looks quite the same...

- Brother Swift

CroMo steel with carbon/alu fork for 700$ sounds good. The least aggressive frame of the five. LOVE the paintjob. A bit heavier of course, 2,5kg.

-Liberty Street

Very budget friendly, but only with alu fork and also 2kg. Paintjob doesn't steal my heart either. But I like the DIY style of the brand.

this are my most important measurements:

height = 183cm / wheight = 85kg / innerleg = 88,5cm / upperleg = 63,5cm / rumplength = 56cm / armlength = 72,7cm / shoulderwidth = 41,5cm

ideal bike measurements:

reach = 35,3cm / stack = 62,4cm / frame hight = 59,2cm (centrer crank to top seattube) / frame length = 56,1cm

What would you choose?
Old 11-23-19, 06:33 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I'd probably go with the Brother, but I'm partial to steel these days.
Old 11-23-19, 10:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
I'd probably go with the Brother, but I'm partial to steel these days.
Steel is real, Ti is fly, Wood is good and aluminum doesn't rhyme!

The best way to choose a bike is to ride a bunch and narrow down from there. Obviously with fixed gears it can be harder because not a lot of shops might carry the brands you are looking at. I have known a whole heap of people with Mash bikes and they love them. I like my old Cinelli Work frame which I think Mash is still making but without actually calling it a Cinelli even though it is Colombus Tubi (part of Cinelli or vice versa) and that would be my choice personally.

If it were me I would look at Rodriguez Shiftless frame for $999 it is handbuilt in the U.S. Tons of sizing options and you can add whatever you need to it to make it work well for you.
Shiftless? Track Bikes - Rodriguez track bikes for Men and women

@TimothyH has one and he is super happy with his and probably within a year or so once I get all my projects finished I am currently working on I might end up getting one as well as I have wanted one for a long time.
Old 01-10-20, 09:20 AM
Drynald

Bikes: A fixed gear & classic roadbike (on progress)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im actually interested in liberty bikes, i agree the paint job arent that good

But a bike courier i know use it on daily basis and for race r very good he said

Not recommending mash ac1 because of the track geo, friend of mine fall a lot because of pedalstrike with front wheels
Old 01-11-20, 05:42 AM
Jempi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered the Mash 🙃
The last 56 they had.
Everybody I spoke that has a parallax or ac-1 love their bike very much.
Its the most agressive ridebale street bike I found, based on my body measurements.
The custom carbon fork and tubing are a big plus to for me, the downsite is the price offcourse.

The pedal to wheel clearance in a 56 is 7cm, its short but not super extreme. The competition has mostly a cm or 2 more clearance, but some come even shorter. I think its a bit strange your friend falls a lot due to the toe overlap. He must take a lot of extreme turns.

The Liberty street is a great budget option I feel. But it only comes with an alu fork.
I think that's a bit of a shame. But for that money, a realy nice frame.