Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica training motivation thread!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica training motivation thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 08:00 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Rode an almost century on Saturday, hit the wall at 85 miles, didn't drink enough water, all bike path, almost no climbing. Felt pretty good all in all.

Ive done that exact ride a few times. If you go up the Coyote trail for a bit you can cover those last few miles needed for the Century.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 02-20-20, 10:09 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I was wondering about two recent rides of jackbombay
I live in Idaho but work all over the country building skateboard parks, current job is in La Puente, and the fabrication shop for the company I work for is in Hacienda Heights.

While there is some snow in the so cal mountains, it is absolutely nothing compared to the fury of Old Man winter in the Teton range!

Originally Posted by Manny66
Ive done that exact ride a few times. If you go up the Coyote trail for a bit you can cover those last few miles needed for the Century.
Its a beautiful ride! There were a lot of people out on bikes last saturday which is always nice to see, it is supposed to rain this saturday though :-(
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 02-21-20, 10:35 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
2:45 on the modern bike Wednesday; an hour of hill repeats on the Eroica bike this afternoon.

Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 02-22-20, 08:58 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Nice! Was the hill gravel? Very Nice!

psa: keep your hand clean. Don't touch your face. Don't shake hands with anybody? I've never had such a flu raddled year as this. Maybe it's just me and my new work environment, but 25 years of classroom teaching and I've averaged 1 bout per year. I am now fighting my third for this school year. I'll be skipping my gravel hill repeats today and my long ride tomorrow.
Old 02-22-20, 09:15 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
2:45 on the modern bike Wednesday; an hour of hill repeats on the Eroica bike this afternoon.

I see some well thought out mods on your Bianchi. Should work very well at Eroica
Old 02-22-20, 12:02 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Originally Posted by velomateo
I see some well thought out mods on your Bianchi. Should work very well at Eroica
Thanks! After some work by gugie , it's pretty amazing. It's just barely CA Eroica-legal, but it's also the first good bike I ever owned, bought new in '87 and I ride it regularly, so I wanted Eroica to be a side-benefit, not the main reason for the build. It fits 700x33 and has a 34x32 low gear and fits and rides beautifully.

Nice! Was the hill gravel? Very Nice!
No, just a convenient local hill with two sides where the climbs and descents are both good, so if I don't have too much time on my hands, it's a good workout. I mean, the pavement isn't in the greatest of shape, but that's pretty ubiquitous around here...
Old 02-23-20, 05:29 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Put in a few miles today. Need to step up my game though, L'Eroica has some tough hills. Trying to talk my buddy "El Gato Negro" to do L'Eroica, hes got some really cool old bikes and has been riding since the 60's.

Likes For Manny66:
Old 02-23-20, 09:40 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I got the '73 Super Course out for 34 miles, 1700' climbing in the Somis Hills of eastern Ventura County this morning. I had a 14.4 mph average and even 3 Strava PRs on a course that I often ride on my modern carbon bikes. If I do the hilly Eroica course, this will be my ride. We did parts of Balcom and Grimes Canyons and Horse Hill, which is in excess of 10% in places. The pictures are from the top of Horse Hill. The old Raleigh has a 32/34t F/R best gear. It was a great day to ride. No dirt or gravel today, but this Raleigh and rider have done Sulphur Mtn fire road twice, 14+ miles of gravel, 45 miles total. I still need to drag out the dreaded Campy quills and toe clips to play the Eroica game.

Not much shoulder on Horse Hill.

Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 02-23-20, 11:48 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 321 Posts
I was finally able to take the Gitane out for a shakedown ride on Friday, then a 45 mile ride on Saturday. It performed flawlessly. The SPD pedals are temporary until I rebuild the quill pedals. Eventually, I’ll also swap out the Nervar 42/52 crankset for a more Eroica-friendly Stronglight with 36/48 chainrings.
As you can tell, it's pan flat here. This was from the shakedown ride out to the local soapbox derby hill that's 10 miles from my house. I did a few climbs and a bit of hard braking on the short descent to test the braking. Now I need to take it out to the hills and or gravel, but that's a 45 minute drive away. Weather and family commitments are limiting the days I can get out.

Last edited by Brad L; 02-24-20 at 12:12 AM.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 02-24-20, 10:33 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
I rode my Eroica bike 62 mile yesterday. dead flat where I live, but i am still trying to dial in the seat height, angle, bar height etc. the whole idea was the endurance aspect of the ride. felt good, but it needs a few tweaks. the gearing SUCKS for hills, so i am thinking how i can change that. last year i used a 39-30 low gear, and that was doable. this bike doesn't have that, so I am in the thinking about it stage. triplizers are n my thought daily!, but then it might be a change of deraileurs, and a whole new set up. still thinking!
Old 02-28-20, 05:31 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
33 miles yesterday on the '73 Super Course, in case I do the hilly route, still on SPD pedals. Today I mounted some Campy quill pedals with toe clips on the '64 Legnano and did about 10 miles. First time since last year's Eroica with toe clips. I used to race in them, commute in them and tour in them, but discovered SPDs 20 years ago, and never looked back, till Eroica several years ago. Not my pedal of chioce, but today went pretty well. Toe clips, straps, no cleats. The Louis Garneau Nickel shoes are for SPD, but the cleat pocket is recessed, allowing for easy walking, and work well with toe clips if required. I did mostly flat miles today, with lots of stops and starts. Hoping to do Pasadena Vintage ride Sunday, but rain is predicted.

The '64 Legnano, had since new. Not geared for big hills, but has done two Eroicas, only Piedras Blancas last year though.

Even with extra washers as spacers I can't get the toe clip forward enough to center the pedal on the ball of my foot.
Old 02-29-20, 12:50 AM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
33 miles yesterday on the '73 Super Course, in case I do the hilly route, still on SPD pedals. Today I mounted some Campy quill pedals with toe clips on the '64 Legnano and did about 10 miles. First time since last year's Eroica with toe clips. I used to race in them, commute in them and tour in them, but discovered SPDs 20 years ago, and never looked back, till Eroica several years ago. Not my pedal of chioce, but today went pretty well. Toe clips, straps, no cleats. The Louis Garneau Nickel shoes are for SPD, but the cleat pocket is recessed, allowing for easy walking, and work well with toe clips if required. I did mostly flat miles today, with lots of stops and starts. Hoping to do Pasadena Vintage ride Sunday, but rain is predicted.

The '64 Legnano, had since new. Not geared for big hills, but has done two Eroicas, only Piedras Blancas last year though.

Even with extra washers as spacers I can't get the toe clip forward enough to center the pedal on the ball of my foot.
You can get some Christophe XLarge Toe Clips on Ebay for under $20.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 02-29-20, 05:22 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
. . . last year i used a 39-30 low gear, and that was doable.
This is encouraging for me. What route did you do and do you know what your FTP was at the time? I have my bike set up with a 41x32. I think I can handle most of the route. I do have a 99 BIS i can use but I want to stay Campy.
Old 02-29-20, 05:24 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
. . . last year i used a 39-30 low gear, and that was doable.
This is encouraging for me. What route did you do and do you know what your FTP was at the time? I have my bike set up with a 41x32. I think I can handle most of the route. I do have a 99 BIS i can use but I want to stay Campy.
On a lesser note the vehicle I was going to drive needs $2000 worth of work so now I need to decide between driving a Kia soul 11,000 KM or fly.
Old 02-29-20, 10:23 AM
mhespenheide 

Ddi about 3 hours on Wednesday 2/26, but the unseasonably warm temperatures have tempted me into doing too much too soon, so now my left knee is unhappy and hurts at the top of the pedal stroke when standing to climb. I'll have to back off for a while.
Old 02-29-20, 06:44 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Ddi about 3 hours on Wednesday 2/26, but the unseasonably warm temperatures have tempted me into doing too much too soon, so now my left knee is unhappy and hurts at the top of the pedal stroke when standing to climb. I'll have to back off for a while.
Mine will do that too. Actually, it was doing it today during my 76 miles, 6700 feet of climbing. When it hurts, I sit or change the angles of my back/hips/knee/ankle until it stops. I was trying to climb more slowly today while I led a new friend up a new-for-him climb. I was in a biger than normal gear. I read something about muscle tension workouts--whatever. My Raleigh did well with 25mm Gatorskins on the TB-14s

Old 02-29-20, 08:21 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
21 miles last Saturday, a 50 minute walk aeound the lake with Mrs. Doc on Sunday, a 32 mile ride on Monday, then spin class for more than an hour each day from Tuesday thru Saturday. Then another long walk on last Sunday followed by a strenuous 41 mile group ride yesterday and a spin class again today (as it is raining here).

Meanwhile, getting the Davidson prepared for Eroica:

Last edited by rccardr; 03-03-20 at 07:23 AM.
Likes For rccardr:
Old 03-03-20, 06:02 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed

MKS also makes a LL extra long and extra deep (tall) toeclip that you can get from Amazon. Works great for me with size 46 shoes but you do need to watch out for front wheel overlap if your wheelbase or fork trail causes problems.

Originally Posted by jackbombay
I live in Idaho but work all over the country building skateboard parks, current job is in La Puente, and the fabrication shop for the company I work for is in Hacienda Heights.

While there is some snow in the so cal mountains, it is absolutely nothing compared to the fury of Old Man winter in the Teton range!

Its a beautiful ride! There were a lot of people out on bikes last saturday which is always nice to see, it is supposed to rain this saturday though :-(
Nice, I’m in La Habra just over the hill. If I hadn’t been laid up with a back and leg nerve injury recently, I’d have been out there on similar trails finishing up my Eroica training. Too bad we missed you on the Velo-Retro rides (see BF thread) but come by if you are in town first Sunday's.

anyone on this thread who hasn’t already, check out our BF Eroica California 2020 thread and check in, lots going on and if anyone needs accommodations or other arrangements, let us know there.

Bart

My 72 Italvega Super Speciale at Hilltop Park, Signal Hill on my last training ride Feb. 8. 4 hours later I had pain in my leg that sidelined me till just last week, trying to regain strength enough to ride again.

My Eroica setup with 52/42/28 triple and 14-30 5 sp Suntour Freewheel, 700C x 35 Compass / Rene Herse Extralight Bon Jon Pass tires.

[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/74bc82c3-4096-4e51-ae36-147a24a91503[/img]

Last edited by mech986; 03-03-20 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 12:28 PM
Classtime 

Now that cicumstances have injected at least 6 months of additional training time which is 8 training blocks for us old farts, I hit the local industrial park crit course today for a few intervals. OUCH! 3, 5 minute painful efforts and my heart rate wouldn't go past my old tempo zone. I think I have been doing too much LSD.

jeff
Old 08-02-21, 10:15 AM
Manny66 

Now that cicumstances have injected at least 6 months of additional training time which is 8 training blocks for us old farts, I hit the local industrial park crit course today for a few intervals. OUCH! 3, 5 minute painful efforts and my heart rate wouldn't go past my old tempo zone. I think I have been doing too much LSD.

jeff

Sounds like the Hughes Park crit ?
Old 08-02-21, 10:52 AM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by Manny66
Sounds like the Hughes Park crit ?
Telo.