Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Save this rim?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Save this rim?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 11:49 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Save this rim?

This is for a '90 Schwinn CrossCut that was rode hard and put away wet. Has a pretty nice (well, it was) Wolber GTX hard anodized 32-spoke double-wall presta rim:

Two issues. One, several of the eyelets are coming apart:

No idea how this happens. I wonder if just using washers on the outside, under the shoulders of the spoke nipples, will suffice to restore function.

Two, there's a discernable flat spot:

I've undone, or at least remediated, flat spots before, but this one's a doozy.

One slightly OCD reason that favors attempting to fix this rim is that it's original, and matches the original front rim, which is in much better shape. So is it worth the trouble to take a stab at that flat spot? And any other ideas about replacing those eyelets?
Old 02-23-20, 12:08 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
madpogue,
I would say this one is toast. You can shop around for another one of the Mavics. I have this 32* clincher rim that would please the War Department if it leaves. She says I have too many toys here. I suspect it would be kinda close if you removed the stickers and washed the Fir label off. Not a perfect match but close. PM me, MH

Old 02-23-20, 12:34 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Being non-OCD, I'd just swap with another rim of same ERD.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-23-20, 01:50 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Has a pretty nice (well, it was) Wolber GTX hard anodized 32-spoke double-wall presta rim:

That's Hot.

That's not.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-23-20, 02:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Look carefully at the sidewall wear around your flat spot. It looks to me as if the underlying aluminum could be damaged.

Even if you are able to fix the eyelets and the flat spot, you will also have to deal with uneven anodizing wear.
Old 02-23-20, 02:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I actually enjoy "cold-setting" bent rims back into shape, but I've got nuthin' when it comes to replacing eyelets.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-23-20, 02:31 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Look carefully at the sidewall wear around your flat spot. It looks to me as if the underlying aluminum could be damaged.

Even if you are able to fix the eyelets and the flat spot, you will also have to deal with uneven anodizing wear.
Well, I'm not looking to restore it to like-new; both rims show some age. My OCD reference was more about having two rims that look glaringly different. Mad Honk 's rim option looks viable.

But am I getting the right sense, that washers are not a good idea to fix the eyelet issue?

One other factor that favors relacing is that (did I mention "rode hard and put away wet"?) is that the wheel experienced an overshift at some time, so pretty-much all the outward drive-side spokes are done.
Old 02-23-20, 02:40 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
One other factor that favors relacing is that (did I mention "rode hard and put away wet"?) is that the wheel experienced an overshift at some time, so pretty-much all the outward drive-side spokes are done.
So, many spokes are done, the rim has a flat spot, and there are eyelets that are damaged. It is a bicycle rim, not a museum piece. Time to move on
Old 02-23-20, 02:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
It also looks like the sidewall near the spoke at the right side of that flat spot, is cracked.

Cheers
Old 02-23-20, 03:01 PM
CliffordK

Or, perhaps one could just learn to live with it.

I put up with a Wobbling Wolber for a few years before I decided enough was enough. I may look at it again, but it will probably need to be completely unbuilt to be straightened. Then I had better be very happy with the repair to spend the time to rebuild the wheel.
Old 02-23-20, 05:09 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
If all that had happened was the separation of the ferrule, then I'd just use a rim washer under the nipple head to do the job of load distribution. However, when ferrules separate there are often other problems such as cracks in the aluminum radiating from the spoke holes, especially in hard anodized rims. In this case, it's hard to gauge the flat spot without seeing it in person. There's also the question of how sensitive you are to non-round rims. However, you'll never know if it will classify as an official zombie wheel until you try. I've resurrected rims that looked like a Pringle's potato chip, while I failed miserably with rims that looked not anywhere near as severe. Most of time, the critical succeed/fail criteria is the abruptness of the transition from round and/or true.
Old 02-23-20, 05:41 PM
CliffordK

If you have the original eyelets it may be possible to repair them. Or, perhaps replace with new eyelets/grommets. I'm not quite sure the size. Perhaps about 4mm, but definitely measure what you have as well as the nipples first.

You'll probably need to buy at least $50 worth of tools and supplies to repair your $5 rim
Old 02-24-20, 02:08 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
That flat spot is a doozy. With me, that would be the end of the conversation.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 02-29-20, 09:21 PM
madpogue 

Epilogue -- to this episode, anyway... So that nice FIR rim arrived from Mad Honk Thurs. And thanks to a purchase of a slew of bulk spokes from deux jambes last spring, I had the eight 297mm spokes I needed to replaced the ones trashed by the overshift event. Built it up Thurs and finished it last night. I'm no expert wheelbuilder (maybe call me Jobst Can't?), but it came out quite nice. Original build had the drive-side spokes laced "the wrong way", with the leading spokes inboard (I read somewhere that that's a sign of a machine-laced wheel), so I corrected that as well. Adjusted the RD limiters to avoid the overshift, slapped on some Bontrager street tread 700x38s, test ride was perfect.

End of episode 1. Episode 2 is a stuck _adjustable_ cup on the BB. Fixed cup was barely more than finger tight, so at least I can get inside. But I'll reserve that for another thread, if I can't think/grunt my way out of this one.

Last edited by madpogue; 02-29-20 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 02:08 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
.. Original build had the drive-side spokes laced "the wrong way", with the leading spokes inboard ....so I corrected that as well....
While I’ve done that too w/o anything noticeable happening from it, it is somewhat debated and frowned upon. While perhaps not as bad as changing direction of the spokes, changing sides does add more gouges to the hub flanges. And with that, more places for cracks to start.
The most common recommendation is not to change the pattern when relacing a wheel.