Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cable cutting tool

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cable cutting tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 11:54 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
Cable cutting tool

finally have to admit that the tool i bought a few years ago to cut cables and housings just plain sucks after gaffing up yet another cable housing. any recs for a good tool to purchase?
Old 02-21-20, 12:03 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
One previous thread on the subject.
Here's another.
Old 02-21-20, 12:13 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Here's a three-page thread on the subject started just two weeks ago:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ng-cutter.html
Old 02-21-20, 12:23 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

thanks... didn't think there would actually be a thread on the subject!
Old 02-21-20, 12:47 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
If price is no object…

Cuts the cable electronically and fuses the end at the same time so it can't unravel. What's not to like (besides the cost)?
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-21-20, 05:12 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

good tips in those other threads... i have a 2 year old little used pedro that i'm not impressed with, so ordered a Klein cutting tool today.
Old 02-21-20, 05:19 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Cuts the cable electronically and fuses the end at the same time so it can't unravel. What's not to like (besides the cost)?
...and the weight (20 kg), and the voltage (220), and the fact that the lights probably dim on the whole block when you throw the switch.....
Old 02-21-20, 05:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I use a Jagwire. Works fine.

Tried cutoff wheels with a moto-tool. Dang things always shatter before finishing a single cut.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-22-20, 12:48 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I use a Jagwire. Works fine.

Tried cutoff wheels with a moto-tool. Dang things always shatter before finishing a single cut.
Yeah, compared to using a Dremel, the proper cable cutter pays for itself after just a few cuts!

My dropout hanger alignment tool similarly payed for itself quickly by saving me time spent doing it the harder way.
Old 02-22-20, 08:22 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Here's a three-page thread on the subject started just two weeks ago:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ng-cutter.html
I was looking for that one!
Old 02-23-20, 08:05 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I think these red handled ones are Hozan(?) and they work great for me, but it isn't like they've been cutting several cables a day for the last two decades. The shipmano ones I save exclusively for brake housings but I know some use then as cable cutters.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 02-23-20, 09:53 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
I didn't chime in on the other similar threads so I will here. Somewhere in my ancient history I got a VAR cable cutter. Of course it was much better than something bought at Sears but not nearly as nice as the Felco I got next. The Felco is the standard of excellence. For our bike shop in Ukraine I took over a Park. It is decent and works well but isn't quite as good as my Felco. A year ago or so I bought a Jagwire and it is similar in quality to the Felco. If I had to do it again I would get either the Felco or Jagwire based on buying convenience. The Jagwire does have a little accessory to crimp cable caps just below the spring.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 02-26-20 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-23-20, 01:36 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Guys!?, what's wrong with a wire cutter and a file to trim and smooth the ends of a housing?

Now, cutting the cables is pretty straight forward but stopping them from fraying is another matter altogether*. Frayed end is basically the only way I have ever lost (given up on) a cable.

* My whacky story. I made a small welder which uses the carbon rod from a D cell as one electrode and a spare power cord. You use the 115 VAC from the wall as the power source. One lead goes directly to the metal object to be welded. The other lead clips onto the carbon rod. Touch the carbon rod to the end of the cable and it will weld it. The carbon rod limits the peak current and prevents any sticking to the electrode which might occur with a metal electrode. Wear eye protection, just in case. If it gets away from you, just pull the cord from the AC socket.
Old 02-26-20, 02:53 AM
kenhawkeye

Bikes: 1976, Alan Super Record, 1977 Bob Jackson, 1978 Viner Special Professional, 1978 Bianchi Super Corsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know if you can buy them in the USA but I use Knipex cutters I bought in Germany. They were expensive but are brilliant...clean cut every time with no straggling wires
Old 02-26-20, 05:49 AM
Carvingtr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kenhawkeye
I don't know if you can buy them in the USA but I use Knipex cutters I bought in Germany. They were expensive but are brilliant...clean cut every time with no straggling wires
You can get Knipex in the US, look on Amazon.
Likes For Carvingtr:
Old 02-26-20, 06:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
After using the Dremel with a cut-off wheel for years, I purchased a Pedro's set of cable cutters. They don't cut to my standards, so they now hang unused on the pegboard.

Back to the Dremel, which along with a bench vise, work very well.
Old 02-26-20, 02:03 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by kenhawkeye
I mentioned on the previous thread on this subject that Knipex diagonal cutters were the preferred cable cutting tool when I was wrenching ~30 years ago. Most mechanics preferred them to specialty cutting tools. The only specialty cutting tools around at the time were the original flavor SIS Shimano cutters. Those generally only got used for cutting SIS derailleur housing. I guess there was a VAR tool around, but I never saw one in any shop where I worked.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 02-26-20, 05:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Guys!?, what's wrong with a wire cutter and a file to trim and smooth the ends of a housing?

Now, cutting the cables is pretty straight forward but stopping them from fraying is another matter altogether*. Frayed end is basically the only way I have ever lost (given up on) a cable.

* My whacky story. I made a small welder which uses the carbon rod from a D cell as one electrode and a spare power cord. You use the 115 VAC from the wall as the power source. One lead goes directly to the metal object to be welded. The other lead clips onto the carbon rod. Touch the carbon rod to the end of the cable and it will weld it. The carbon rod limits the peak current and prevents any sticking to the electrode which might occur with a metal electrode. Wear eye protection, just in case. If it gets away from you, just pull the cord from the AC socket.
IME a wire cutter totally flattens cable housing....much better experience with purpose built tool.... YMMV

Old 02-27-20, 01:04 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag

I thought I was nuts using a Dixon #2 pencil as a rod with a 30V AC power supply. That was a long time ago, and the pencil would last for about 6 seconds before the wood caught fire. It was fun though
Old 02-27-20, 07:20 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I thought I was nuts using a Dixon #2 pencil as a rod with a 30V AC power supply. That was a long time ago, and the pencil would last for about 6 seconds before the wood caught fire. It was fun though
Great minds think alike. ;-)

The carbon rod core of a D cell is huge.
Old 02-28-20, 11:11 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
IME a wire cutter totally flattens cable housing....much better experience with purpose built tool.... YMMV
My experience BITD was that good quality d*kes were faster and cleaner on old school and spiral housing, and the ends required less cleanup after being cut. When the longitudinally stranded derailleur housing came out, yeah, you had to use the special cutters or it would just get squished. The regular diagonal cutters continued to be used for brake housing and cable cutting. IIRC the vast majority of shop mechanics did the same thing. I'm not saying this is the right or the best way, just that it was common practice. YMMV. There are like 20x more choices of cutters now than there were 30 years ago.