Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling Clubs Near Livonia, Michigan

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 07:03 AM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello gang.

I have just moved to a new Money Pit, located in Wayne County in the township of Livonia, MI. Anybody know of cycling clubs in this area, that a 52 year old can keep up with?
Old 08-19-08, 10:24 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
Hello gang.

I have just moved to a new Money Pit, located in Wayne County in the township of Livonia, MI. Anybody know of cycling clubs in this area, that a 52 year old can keep up with?
Hi, Motorad! Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society has an East Branch, in your area. Check out the website www.aabts.com (or is it .org?).

Road Fan
Old 08-19-08, 05:32 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to lmb.org (League of Michigan Bicyclists) and check out the local club listings. I know there are some other clubs in the area but can't think of the names.

I know the AABTS has a regular "Far East Fringe" ride starting in downtown Plymouth.

If you're feeling masochistic the Wolverines have some "moderate" (ha!) rides out of Northville.

Although an Eastsider, I am working a contract job in Plymouth (M-14 & Beck Rd.). Maybe we'll meet on one of my after work rides. Look for a silver Giant OCR with yellow tires & yellow bar tape. Or sometimes a black Schwinn FG conversion...often on Hines Dr. between Northville & Plymouth.
Old 08-19-08, 06:59 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Uh, Livonia is a city, that's where I grew up. Lived on Loveland three houses north of West Chicago(SE of Plymouth and Farmington Rd).

I've read of a ride that goes out to Northville on Hines Dr, but could be a bit harrowing if they haven't widened the road with a shoulder.
Old 08-19-08, 07:02 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I've read of a ride that goes out to Northville on Hines Dr, but could be a bit harrowing if they haven't widened the road with a shoulder.
They have. It's popular with cyclists. And I've heard they close it on Saturdays to motorized traffic.

Still floods, though.
Old 08-19-08, 10:50 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
They have. It's popular with cyclists. And I've heard they close it on Saturdays to motorized traffic.

Still floods, though.
I really messed up not getting into cycling regualrly when I was much younger. Had a Schwinn Continental with chrome fenders. Rode twice out to the end of Hines Dr in Northville twice, and once wandered up to Walled Lake and back.
Old 08-20-08, 03:31 AM
Pman

Bikes: Klein Reve V, Trek 7700fx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Wolverine club is the one with rides out of Northville. Here is a link to their website:

https://wolverinesportsclub.com/
Old 02-19-20, 10:34 AM
tony callis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out R3 Cycling Club on FaceBook or at R3.bike. We have rides for all level of rider