Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking of cutting little toe off.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thinking of cutting little toe off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 10:14 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Might be easier to just run your head into lampposts...
Old 04-03-18, 10:31 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Another fantastic troll thread.

Make it a D.I.Y. job, be sure to post a video.
Old 04-03-18, 11:20 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Another fantastic troll thread.

Make it a D.I.Y. job, be sure to post a video.
+1, Redneck toe removal surgery.

Hey y'all, watch this. Hold my beer...
Old 04-03-18, 11:34 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Hacksaw, or wire cutters?
Old 04-04-18, 05:49 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildrat
I have been fighting this problem with the little toe on my right foot for a year now. At about 60-70 miles it starts to hurt and gets worse the farther I ride. By the time I get to a 100 I am ready to cut the toe off. The pain is bad, never felt anything like it.
I use Shimano r171 shoes, speedplay zero cleats. I had the same issue with Look style cleats. I put wedge in that seemed to help a bit. I am thinking the toe box is not big enough for my foot. I was going to order some Shimano RC7 wide but don't want to drop 200 for another pair of shoes. I thought about cutting the area out of the shoe where my little toe is but decided not to ruin a good pair of shoes. I opted to put my cleats on a pair of Shimano R088 shoes. There seemed to be more room in them than the R171.
Anyone have this problem before or any thoughts beside cutting my toe off.
The last time I saw my doc I asked about cutting the toe off. He laughed, but I was serious. It really gets to hurting. I intended to ride a hundred today but stopped at just over 70 because the pain was starting.
Oh, I have tried loosening and tightening straps it does not help.
I do have a good Specialized insole fitted in the shoe. I did that the last 100 mile ride a couple weeks ago. The LBS used their fancy hi-tech foot device on me.
Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated.
Don't do it. See a doctor, again, and then check out the "volume" shoes from SIDI. I'm betting that if you lop off one two the problem will just shift to something else.
Old 04-04-18, 05:55 AM
Wildrat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Don't do it. See a doctor, again, and then check out the "volume" shoes from SIDI. I'm betting that if you lop off one two the problem will just shift to something else.
LOl, fellas, I'm not seriously considering cutting toes off. My thoughts just go to cutting it off when the pain becomes bad. It's like a battle when riding after 60-70 miles. The last 30 or so becomes a battle of wills. I usually endure the pain up until yesterday.

I have been looking at wider shoes. I will check the Sidi's out.
I just don't want to spend more money on shoes without knowing they are truly roomier in the toe area.
Old 04-04-18, 06:09 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Dude

Old 04-04-18, 09:56 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I have the Sidi MEGAs and they are plenty wide for my wide flipper feet.

I've also heard that BONT makes a really wide toe-box.

If you do the redneck toe amputation video, might I suggest FREEZING it off! Please post a link either way.
Old 04-04-18, 10:07 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Another approach - take the shoes to a cobbler and have him stretch them. I haven't done this (narrow feet) but I have heard of others that have. Good cobblers know shoes. They don't deal with the stuff we have under the soles, but all the stuff above is what they do. And a good cobbler is tell you if what you are asking cannot be done or may damage the shoe. So you have very little to lose going to them. (And - my experience suggests ruining a good pair of shoes that are going to cause real medical issues just plain isn't that big a loss. Those medical bills add up VERY fast!

I had somewhat similar issues with my little toe getting irritated and eventually infected from pulling up hard on my strapped shoes climbing fix gear. (30,000' over 7 days at Cycle Oregon.) This despite the fact that the shoes were some of the best fitting and comfortable shoes I have ever had. I eventually removed the straps and installed laces. Radical improvement!

Ben
Old 04-04-18, 11:13 AM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I left home for awhile and this post is two pages long now. I will say this for the third time I was not seriously considering cutting my toe off. LOL, I just came home from Specialized.
It turns out my foot is not as long as I thought it was, nor as wide. I've been wearing a 47 for years. I went with a 47 because my running shoes were 47's. They put me in a Brannock device and it said 44.5, then they put me on the Retul and it said the same thing, as for foot width both the Brannock and Retul showed standard width. So I cam e home with a pair of Specialized Torch 2.0 size 45W after trying on several shoes they brought out.
Now it's time to put the cleats on and get the bike ready for riding in the morning.
Thanks for everyone's input including the odd ones.
Old 04-04-18, 11:24 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
If you cut it off, the next one in line would start hurting.

Seriously though, before blowing big coin on new shoes I would cruise craigslist for a pair in a wide and try them out.

Other comment on this, try moving your cleat inbound on the shoe some (towards the BB). Not much. I think I have the direction correct there.

Also, do you pedal at all "toe down" as you start to push? That can force your foot further into the toe box. I often shift forward to do a 1min sprint or pursuit and find I do that and it'll cramp that outside toe.
Old 04-04-18, 11:28 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by wildrat
so i came home with a pair of specialized torcherer 2.0 size 45w after trying on several shoes they brought out.
fify
Old 04-04-18, 11:31 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Cut the toe
Old 04-04-18, 11:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I will say this for the third time I was not seriously considering cutting my toe off. LOL,
That's not what you said in your first post.

The last time I saw my doc I asked about cutting the toe off. He laughed, but I was serious.

-Tim-
Old 04-04-18, 11:42 AM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
That's not what you said in your first post.

-Tim-
Since no one can see humor on a forum and to appease everyone I am going out to the shed and get my limb cutter and take the toe off. I will post pics as necessary.
Old 04-04-18, 11:45 AM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it is.
Attached Images
Old 04-04-18, 12:45 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Sweet thread!
Old 04-04-18, 12:52 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is a good point.

If the OP is actually considering having his toes removed or tries to go through with it then he has psychological problems and needs to see someone.

In Georgia there are ways a family member can intervene to shut down someone who is at risk of hurting themselves.

72 hour psychiatric hold, 1550 law, or "have someone 1013'd"

-Tim-
Let's be practical for a moment...the likelihood that the OP would ever be able to find any kind of medical professional that would cut off a toe so that his biking shoes would fit better is pretty close to zero.

We don't get to order our own medical tests, nor order our own operations.
Old 04-04-18, 02:41 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuyuna
the likelihood that the OP would ever be able to find any kind of medical professional that would cut off a toe so that his biking shoes would fit better is pretty close to zero.
Y'all aint n'er been down to 'Bamma, have y'all?
Old 04-04-18, 04:28 PM
jmess

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have been dealing with a similar issue under the pad of my left little toe. I tried different brand shoes and wider shoes along with a myriad of cleat and saddle adjustments with no luck. I had a bike fit check which didn't amount to any significant change. Things got better in the spring after I had some custom molded shoe orthotics made, they seemed to help a lot. I thought my problem was under control until winter hit and I started doing a lot of training inside via Zwift. Riding for 2-3 hours non-stop and slowing increasing my FTP. This regime has resulted in my problem coming back worse than ever.

Somethings to consider are potential leg length discrepancies and the angle of your foot (Varus/Valgus). I have recently added a Varus wedge (3/16") under my left Shimano SPD-SL which helps transfer pressure from my left little toe towards my big toe while pedaling. It also adds some stack height to my left leg which is shorter than my right leg. This seems to have helped but my problem now is I am struggling to take enough time off the bike for my toe to completely heal; workout addiction.

This type of pain really wears on you over time and I can understand the OPs thoughts about amputation.
Old 04-04-18, 04:55 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I'm thinking wire clippers are a poor choice for this job.

A dremel with a disc cutter is the proper tool for toe removal IMO. Or explosives...
Old 04-04-18, 05:13 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The Best Cycling Shoes for Wide Feet – And Where You Can Find Them
Old 04-04-18, 05:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuyuna
What did the podiatrist say?
Yep.

Either that, or keep trying shoes until you find some that are comfortable.

Bunions are somewhat common, but more frequently found with women. Although apparently a big toe issue, and not a little toe issue. But, it could throw your foot off kilter.

Bone spurs?

Anyway, if you can't find a comfortable shoe, then try the podiatrist, and see what they recommend.
Old 04-04-18, 07:06 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Thanks for the link. Bookmarked.

~~~

I have Sidi Mega wide shoes. They are actually a little too wide, so the insole has a small gap on the outside edge. That's caused some foot problems, so now I bought an oversized insole and trimmed it to fit correctly. These too-big shoes have a slight wrinkle in the top. Shoes need to be right, not too small or too large.

I've used "callus cushions" to take the pressure off a sore spot (on the outside of my foot, opposite of this example). Cheap and easy to try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
callus.JPG (14.7 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-04-18, 07:44 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I say cut it off. Then you can be as hard core as NFLs Ronnie Lott. Respect (said as I tap my chest with my fist).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.