Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever get a build-up from Competitive Cyclist?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 01:39 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts

I'm in N+1 mode, looking at a few options. Was thinking about having CC do a build.

Anyone have experience with that? Any thoughts on the topic?
Old 03-10-21, 02:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Not sure what you are getting at. Competitive Cyclist is just another online presence that sells bikes and bike parts. I'd buy pieces parts from whomever has a reasonable deal at that point in time when I pull the trigger on a purchase.
Old 03-10-21, 02:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Not sure what you are getting at. Competitive Cyclist is just another online presence that sells bikes and bike parts. I'd buy pieces parts from whomever has a reasonable deal at that point in time when I pull the trigger on a purchase.
I guess similar to WrenchScience or Adrenaline bikes, they offer custom build-ups -- picking parts/groups with selected frames etc.. eg start here by picking a frame:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...s&nf=1&fl=true
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-10-21, 03:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I guess similar to WrenchScience or Adrenaline bikes, they offer custom build-ups -- picking parts/groups with selected frames etc.. eg start here by picking a frame:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...s&nf=1&fl=true
Oh.... Thankyou!

Then I'd still recommend pretty much the same thing. But I'd add that if the OP doesn't have enough experience with road bikes or any bike and what is comfortable or fits well, then they stand a better chance of making a mistake when they get to picking out stems, handlebars and crank lengths.

Different geometry like stack will make some difference to the length of stem and handle bar reach you select. If they give you those options. At least in a shop I can tell pretty much right away if it won't do.
Old 03-12-21, 05:47 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen a post of someone that had a bike build by CC

Whatever you do you might check for availability first. Things are still nuts supply wise.
Old 03-12-21, 10:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Can't say I've ever seen a post of someone that had a bike build by CC

Whatever you do you might check for availability first. Things are still nuts supply wise.
It also seemed to me that the offerings weren't much different than the myriad of configurations already offered for a model frame at a LBS that deals in those brands.

But I suppose if you knew you needed a 80 mm stem vs a 100 mm you might save the purchase of a stem and save some space in the spare parts repository in your bike room.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-12-21 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 12:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
It also seemed to me that the offerings weren't much different than the myriad of configurations already offered for a model frame at a LBS that deals in those brands.
True, but I expect the difference is that if it's on CC's website, the frames, sizes and parts that you can select is whittled to what they actually have available in inventory. I don't have the impression that most LBSs are sitting on lots of unbuilt frame sizes, groupset, cockpit and wheel inventory etc.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-12-21, 02:52 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Competitive Cyclist throws stuff on sale at times at pretty good prices. I got a set of Mercury wheels from them for Christmas two years ago. I got them impression they got a truck load of Mercury wheels at close out prices.

This time of year is always difficult to find deals anyway. The covid economy hasn't made that any easier, sellers market right now.
Old 03-12-21, 06:17 PM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I know exactly what I want; perhaps Iride01 you should re-read the post (or maybe you just didn't understand).

I'm asking about the vendor. I've bought the stray item off CC, and agree the prices are "optimistic" unless they're on sale; I was more curious about things like service, turnaround time, finish, etc. If you're going to build up a bike for me and ship it, I don't want it arriving in crap condition, using "the parts we had on hand" vs. what was quoted/spec'd etc.

I know places that have great reps, and others that don't. Just wondering if CC has a good rep for builds, because I kinda like some of what they have available.