Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon Road Wheels: Recommendations & Personal Experience

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon Road Wheels: Recommendations & Personal Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 03:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
What are we visualizing by "lower-cost carbon"? Since Danhedonia brought up Ksyrium Elites, I was figuring we were talking about stuff like Light Bicycle.
When I hear "cheap" or "low-cost" I visualize some of the sketchy stuff that you find on eBay or Alibaba.
Old 03-12-21, 09:28 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
They have similar performance to high-end carbon, but are cheap. That's all there is to it.
bingo. Americans are so used to Zipp and Enve exhorbitant prices that when they see something significantly cheaper, they're so befuddle by the prices that they conclude the products must be cheap.

At this point, people who are intuned to Chinese brands are asking why are there still suckers out there payinng Zipp and Enve prices?
In the case of Winspace, they're not only cheaper but outperforms all of the big brands like Zipp Enve etc.

Winspace Hyper wheels vs. Lightweight Milenstein:

Testing Winspace Hyper wheels for stiffness:

Winspace Hyper 50mm wheels aerodynamic performance beats the big brands, including the deeper Enve 7.8:

Granted, these Winspace Hyper wheels are listed at $1100 usd (which with a 10% discount makes them $980, that's shipped and without tax), so they are not the typical really cheap "$500 Aliexpress Chinese wheels", but they are certainly a better buy than any of the big brands.
Old 03-12-21, 09:34 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
When I hear "cheap" or "low-cost" I visualize some of the sketchy stuff that you find on eBay or Alibaba.
well then you're ignorant and should really stop spreading your ignorance!
Old 03-12-21, 09:47 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by gbain
- Rim Break
Yes, avoiding a broken rim would be a priority.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-12-21, 09:49 AM
aclinjury

Speedercycling is another Chinese brand that can build you a set of wheels using the same rims as the Winspace Hyper series, sapim CX rays, latest DT 240 EXP hubs, for about $930 usd shipped and without tax. And if you go with the less expensive DT 350 hubs (which are still great hubs), you'll save about $180 which brings the price down to $750. That's pretty damn impressive, that's a lot of quality and performance. At $750, why would anyone NOT consider these wheels over alloy wheels, especially expensive alloy wheels costing in the $1000 range??

The ONLY thing the Chinese sellers lack at this point is the big budget marketing.
Carbon Bicycle Wheels, Carbon Bicycle Rims, Carbon Bicycle Framesets, Carbon Bicycle Forks

People are starting to take note of these Chinese brands and buying these wheels like crazy that these manufacturers are starting to have problem keeping up with demands, wait time could be 2 weeks out. I just hope they don't start to jack their prices up in the near future!

Last edited by aclinjury; 03-12-21 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 09:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Granted, these Winspace Hyper wheels are listed at $1100 usd (which with a 10% discount makes them $980, that's shipped and without tax), so they are not the typical really cheap "$500 Aliexpress Chinese wheels", but they are certainly a better buy than any of the big brands.
Zipp 303S are $1300 MSRP and Reynolds and Bontrager have options in the same price point.

Also, is that the Hambini test that's pretty divisive in its legitimacy/authenticity?
Old 03-12-21, 10:17 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Zipp 303S are $1300 MSRP and Reynolds and Bontrager have options in the same price point.

Also, is that the Hambini test that's pretty divisive in its legitimacy/authenticity?
Don't even bring the weaksauce Zipp 303s. Don't even man. I have ridden both their 303s and even 454 NWS. I'll take the Hyper 38mm over their 303s and the Hyper 50 over their 454 NSW anyday! ANYDAY!
The Hyper acclerate faster than the Zipps, period.

I also have the Reynolds Aero 65 Black label 65mm (which are comparable in components to Hyper) and the Reynolds cost almost double after tax. Compared to the Hyper 50, the Reynolds Aero 65 feels about the same at STEADY state at 25 mph. But when it comes to accleration, again the Hyper 50 leaves the Reynolds in the dust. The Reynolds also flex considerably more (rear brake rub) when pushing out of the saddle high wattage too. I've owned about 15 sets of high-end wheels, tub and clinch, over the past 10+ years, and I own 5 highend sets from the big brands (Bontrager, Easton, Reynolds, Shimano), so I think I know a little bit about value, quality, and performance when it comes to assessing Chinese brands like Winspace and Speedercycling.

Hambini rubs a lot of people and manufacturers the wrong way. So effin what dude, that's just his personality. I have yet to see anyone dispute his physics in any in-depth way. And Hambini is respected buy guys like Luescher Teknic.

But if anyone wants to dispute Hambini's testing methodology, then let them bring their physics A game presentation to the table. I don't need to hear so and so says this and that about him. I'll judge for myself

Last edited by aclinjury; 03-12-21 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 10:23 AM
WhyFi

Don't even bring the weaksauce Zipp 303s. Don't even man. I have ridden both their 303s and even 454 NWS. I'll take the Hyper 38mm over their 303s and the Hyper 50 over their 454 NSW anyday! ANYDAY!
The Hyper acclerate faster than the Zipps, period.

I also have the Reynolds Aero 65 Black label 65mm (which are comparable in components to Hyper) and the Reynolds cost almost double after tax. Compared to the Hyper 50, the Reynolds Aero 65 feels about the same at STEADY state at 25 mph. But when it comes to accleration, again the Hyper 50 leaves the Reynolds in the dust. The Reynolds also flex considerably more (rear brake rub) when pushing out of the saddle high wattage too.

Hambini rubs a lot of people and manufacturers the wrong way. So effin what dude, that's just his personality. I have yet to see anyone dispute his physics in any in-depth way. And Hambini is respected buy guys like Luescher Teknic.

But if anyone wants to dispute Hambini's testing methodology, then let them bring their physics A game presentation to the table. I don't need to hear so and so says this and that about him. I'll judge for myself

Lol - take care.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-12-21, 10:27 AM
aclinjury

Lol - take care.
take care not to pay for overpriced marketing fluff!
Old 03-12-21, 10:30 AM
WhyFi

take care not to pay for overpriced marketing fluff!
Judging from your rantmode, you prolly shouldn't be talking about people drinkin' Kool-aid. Jus sayin'.

TTFN.
Old 03-12-21, 10:49 AM
aclinjury

Judging from your rantmode, you prolly shouldn't be talking about people drinkin' Kool-aid. Jus sayin'.

TTFN.
aw christ did I hurt ya feelings??
your "base model" Zipp 303s is still $400 more then the Hyper 50 after tax, weighs close to 200g more, slower, and used an inferior rim construction technique.
Zipp Firecrest and NWS series will cost significantly more and still underperform compared to the Hyper 50.
I will give you that Zipp warranty will probably be easier to deal with, but warranty alone shouldn't be enough to keep going back for the Zipp koolaid, right amigo?
Old 03-12-21, 11:09 AM
WhyFi

aw christ did I hurt ya feelings??
I would be terribly hurt if you gave any indication that you were objective and knowledgeable. Thankfully, you're displaying neither, so I can keep feeling good about myself.

With that, on to 'Ignore' you go.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-12-21, 11:49 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
There are certainly some very good carbon wheels being made in China. But, the cheap wheels are often poorly made, use inferior materials, or are based on bad designs. It's the same as anything else you buy -- cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.
In this case there is a clear reason for the the cheapness, factory direct to consumer, virtually no marketing costs, reduced profit expectations. The irony is, Zipp for example is manufactured in Asia the only difference you have at least 4 levels of markups built into those wheels. Manufacturer, Zipp themselves, Distributer and finally Bike Shop.

But to each their own. Over the years I have become very cynical about all the marketing hype around many cycling products. For example an Asian made Pinnarello owners raving about the Italian feel of the bicycle when they are mass produced like a WinSpace with similar quality issues. Or the vintage steel guys waxing poetically about the ride of their 70’s era Masi when it was bulk welded with the same tubing and geometry as other bikes of the time period.
Old 03-12-21, 12:21 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
well then you're ignorant and should really stop spreading your ignorance!
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
In this case there is a clear reason for the the cheapness, factory direct to consumer, virtually no marketing costs, reduced profit expectations.
There will always be a market for low cost stuff, and there will always be manufacturers willing to meet the this demand. Some of these products are decent quality, but some are not. For every manufacturer that simply cuts out distributor and marketing costs, there are several that cut corners on materials, production techniques, and QC.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-12-21, 06:11 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
There will also be people who need to create imaginary worlds in which they are 10x smarter than everyone else.

Anhow, Ksyrium Elites are $500 sets in my world (a few times a year, dependably enough that you know you can wait for and receive that price). Probably would help to mention specific price points for comparing value.
Old 03-12-21, 06:38 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
There will always be a market for low cost stuff, and there will always be manufacturers willing to meet the this demand. Some of these products are decent quality, but some are not. For every manufacturer that simply cuts out distributor and marketing costs, there are several that cut corners on materials, production techniques, and QC.
The great equalizer here is the very tool we are using, the internet and it’s ability to share experiences in an unbiased way across many people. Since manufacturers such as Light Bicycle and Carbonda use the web for marketing and distribution if the product was inferior this would quickly become evident to prospective purchasers. I particularly chose those two as they have excellent reputations and very good pricing. I personally have a Carbonda Gravel bike and it’s quality is every bit as good as my Diverge.
Old 03-12-21, 06:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,975 Times in 1,920 Posts
have a set of mid grade, no name, locally built aluminum wheels & the lowest price I could find for a carbon wheel set.
So far, I'm impressed with the sub $325 carbon set. The only problem I have had is that, the tires that are known to be a struggle to slip on/off an aluminum rim, are much more difficult with the carbon set.