Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Road bike conversion

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Road bike conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 03:21 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Road bike conversion

If you're thinking of converting a road bike to a flat bar, go for it.

I have been interested in the high end performance hybrids or flat bar road bikes; however, the $1000 to $2,000 price range has scared me off. So this spring I bought a used Specialized Sequoia Elite for $350. The geometry of this bike is very much like a hybrid and it came with a triple 9 speed, something I was familiar with. I've had been riding it on and off this year as a dropbar road bike, but I just didn't like it as well as my Giant Escape 1 - even though at 19 pounds it weighs almost 10 pounds lighter.

Then I converted it. I spent $10 on a handlebar I found on CL, and $36 on a shifter/brake lever set through Jenson, and another $10 on grips from a local big box store. That's it. I set it up with the handlebar rolled down so that my hands are low and rode it on a 35-mile hilly ride and it was SOOOOO much better than having the drop bar. I think I fell in love with it. I climbed hills well, provided great stability going down hills, and responded quickly on the flats.

If you've thinking of doing something similar, just go for it.
Old 07-24-16, 05:37 PM
Bike Life

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950 MTB, 1991 Schwinn Crosscut, 2015 Trek 520,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man you're right in my wheel house. That's the very thing I want to do but have had trouble figuring out what road bikes have a relaxed geometry. How were you able to find that info? I would also like to be able to run 28 or even 30's for tires. Maybe swap out the cassette if I'm not happy with the ratio but that's pretty much it.
Old 07-24-16, 06:54 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Look at wheelbase. If a bike was ever marketed as a good touring bike, then it's probably a a good candidate. Otherwise, don't worry too much about it. Most road rims will accommodate 28 mm road tires. Nashbar recently had a sale on Hutchinson road 28mm tires for $7 a tire. I was shocked at the difference between the dropbar and the flat bar on the Specialized. It felt like a different bike in a good way.
Old 07-24-16, 09:10 PM
bananafruitcake

Bikes: 90's Specialized RockHopper,'07 Cannondale Rush 2, '02 Kona Rasta Stinky Five, '85 Cannondale M600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pic?
and congrats on the results!