Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 03:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Some good yelling on the River Ride yesterday. Guy sitting in 25th down the line yelling at a guy 10 positions up for allowing a gap to form. Good times.
Old 08-15-16, 12:50 PM
Johnny Rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
A Different Kind of Group Ride | Above Category Cycling

I have no association with the author or their company, but their point about "learning / teaching the ropes" rings true for me.

I've been riding for ~10 years now, but committed to a weekly group ride earlier this year and it's been great. All the the listening, talking and sharing has made me a better rider and I'm grateful.
Old 08-15-16, 01:16 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
it's because of this, aswell as the great chance of some noob crashing into me and damaging my carbon bike that I only ride solo

I get highly pi**ed off when I'm riding, overtake someone then they try to ride right behind me and slipstream me, 2 inches away from my back wheel
Old 08-15-16, 01:23 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
it's because of this, aswell as the great chance of some noob crashing into me and damaging my carbon bike that I only ride solo

I get highly pi**ed off when I'm riding, overtake someone then they try to ride right behind me and slipstream me, 2 inches away from my back wheel
I'm assuming of course that you have "ANTISOCIAL - STAY AWAY" printed on the back of your jersey? Right?

I mean how else are they supposed to know that you personally reject the common courtesies and conventions one normally expects when cycling?
Old 08-15-16, 01:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by dim

Where I come from, we call this "taking a pull." It's the foundation of all group rides. If this pisses you off, I guess it's better for all involved that you ride by yourself.
Old 08-15-16, 01:35 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Where I come from, we call this "taking a pull." It's the foundation of all group rides. If this pisses you off, I guess it's better for all involved that you ride by yourself.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's saying strangers are doing that to him when he passes them while riding solo.

If so, I tend to agree that it's annoying and dangerous. If they say something so that I know they're drafting me, I'm fine with it and I'll point out road hazards and signal before I slow abruptly.

If they just silently sit on my wheel, I may not know they are there and they could easily run into me.
Old 08-15-16, 01:44 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
You're supposed to ATTACK.
Old 08-15-16, 01:50 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's saying strangers are doing that to him when he passes them while riding solo.

If so, I tend to agree that it's annoying and dangerous. If they say something so that I know they're drafting me, I'm fine with it and I'll point out road hazards and signal before I slow abruptly.

If they just silently sit on my wheel, I may not know they are there and they could easily run into me.
Ah, good point. I guess I thought it was an odd comment in the context of the thread.
Old 08-15-16, 01:58 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dim
it's because of this, as well as the great chance of some noob crashing into me and damaging my carbon bike that I only ride solo
Why are you riding with the noobs?

All the groups I ride with, any noobs end up waaaaaaaaay off the back. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by dim
Don't cry just because you can't lay down enough watts to drop a stranger, lol.

Last edited by velociraptor; 08-15-16 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 02:18 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by velociraptor

All the groups I ride with, any noobs end up waaaaaaaaay off the back. Just sayin'.

LOL .... I see them in the yonder.... but when I pass them, they try to suck up to my back wheel ....

I cycle on a new dedicated cycle path, runs adjacent to a guided bus route, and that has lots of cyclists .... one can cycle at great speed for far distances...

I ride solo and hate it when I pass someone and they ride inches away from my back wheel.... I just don't get it .... why try and slipstream someone (who you don't even know) and who has passed you? .... I veer to the left.... they veer to the left .... I veer to the right .... they veer to the right .... millimeters away from my back wheel ... not good

need to buy some pepper spray

Last edited by dim; 08-15-16 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 07:02 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 08-16-16, 08:46 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts

Dial it to 400 Watts?
Old 08-16-16, 09:19 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't cry just because you can't lay down enough watts to drope the hamer on a stranger, lol.
ftfy
Old 08-16-16, 10:00 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
LOL .... I see them in the yonder.... but when I pass them, they try to suck up to my back wheel ....

I cycle on a new dedicated cycle path, runs adjacent to a guided bus route, and that has lots of cyclists .... one can cycle at great speed for far distances...

I ride solo and hate it when I pass someone and they ride inches away from my back wheel.... I just don't get it .... why try and slipstream someone (who you don't even know) and who has passed you? .... I veer to the left.... they veer to the left .... I veer to the right .... they veer to the right .... millimeters away from my back wheel ... not good

Or eat more beans...
Old 08-16-16, 10:45 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
snot rocket time?
Old 08-16-16, 10:48 AM
Corbin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's cycling bro, we're all in it together. Or there's no I in team. Just flick the elbow and break off to take a draft and enjoy the companionship.
Old 08-16-16, 12:02 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonz50
... drope the hamer ...
Ftfy
exactly
Old 08-17-16, 03:58 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corbin
It's cycling bro, we're all in it together. Or there's no I in team. Just flick the elbow and break off to take a draft and enjoy the companionship.
I agree, that's the way it ought to be, and it's silly to think that being drafted is "creepy" or unsafe for the one doing the work, but I realize that if a person does not feel comfortable getting the advantage the draft and won't do it themselves, then we should not use them, because it's unfair and kind of mean. Now, as long as they don't have aerobars, anyone riding a road bike in team or replica kit ought to be drafted, but we should probably try to gauge the receptiveness of others before expecting them to participate.
Old 08-17-16, 05:36 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by dim

Originally Posted by dim

Old 09-20-16, 02:03 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Disclaimer: This is actually a true story, despite the thread.

I was riding the other day, obeying all traffic laws per usual and stopping at lights. Some guy on a hybrid with a cycling cap and earbuds but no helmet was riding on the sidewalk.

I passed him on the road (marked with sharrows), and then waited at a light a couple blocks away. He approached the intersection on the sidewalk, looked briefly around, and then rolled through the intersection with a car having to brake sharply to avoid him.

I continued riding after the light cycle and caught/passed him before the next light, where the same thing happened again, except this time the opposite direction had a turn arrow so when he rolled through without stopping a car had to jink around him to avoid hitting him.

The 3rd time I passed him, I slowed down and loudly (yelled?) told him that he shouldn't run traffic lights because it puts the rest of us in danger.

He flicked me off.

Should I have yelled more? I'm thinking he didn't hear me with his earbuds in.
Old 09-20-16, 02:07 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
So, if I get this right, someone on a hybrid droped you three times? You deserved to be yelled at.
Old 09-20-16, 02:39 PM
chip1

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was riding the other day, obeying all traffic laws per usual and stopping at lights. Some guy on a hybrid with a cycling cap and earbuds but no helmet was riding on the sidewalk.

I passed him on the road (marked with sharrows), and then waited at a light a couple blocks away. He approached the intersection on the sidewalk, looked briefly around, and then rolled through the intersection with a car having to brake sharply to avoid him.

I continued riding after the light cycle and caught/passed him before the next light, where the same thing happened again, except this time the opposite direction had a turn arrow so when he rolled through without stopping a car had to jink around him to avoid hitting him.

The 3rd time I passed him, I slowed down and loudly (yelled?) told him that he shouldn't run traffic lights because it puts the rest of us in danger.

He flicked me off.

Similar thing happened to me the other day. I passed a rider with earbuds while riding at a coasting pace then he got all egotistical and passed me back immediately. As we approached an intersection where intersecting cars clearly have the right of way, this guy cornered aggressively without stopping and looking for an oncoming car and almost caused an accident, then proceeded to get in a verbal fight with the driver. When I yelled at him saying he was at fault he yelled back accusing me of not siding with a fellow cyclist. Sometimes you just can't win.
Old 09-20-16, 03:17 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
^ i dunno. you didn't get hit and didn't get in a fight with a driver. Sounds like you won.
Old 09-20-16, 03:37 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

He flicked me off.

Depends. Did he yell "Clear!" before entering the intersection?
Old 09-20-16, 04:34 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Depends. Did he yell "Clear!" before entering the intersection?
I did, to trick him. I guess it almost worked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.